Removal of Slot size at Quinte....it's official!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Removal of Slot size at Quinte....it's official!

Post by RJ »

MNR Press release today.....
PROVINCE INCREASES WALLEYE FISHING
OPPORTUNITIES IN EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO
Removal Of Size Limit Regulation Takes Effect For
Start Of Walleye Season
TORONTO - As the walleye season opens on May 7, the Ontario government is eliminating the lower size limit for walleye in the Bay of Quinte and eastern Lake Ontario, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay announced today.

"We have determined that the existing size limits haven't had a significant beneficial impact on the walleye population in the Bay of Quinte, but have had a negative impact on the economies of local communities," said Ramsay. "Removing the slot size regulation will increase angling opportunities without adversely affecting the numbers of larger fish."

Under the regulation change, anglers will now be able to keep walleye that are up to 63 centimetres long in parts of Lake Ontario, including the Bay of Quinte and Prince Edward County. For all of Lake Ontario, the walleye catch and possession limit is four fish under a sport fishing licence, and two fish under a conservation licence. For both types of licence, anglers are also allowed to keep one walleye greater than 63 centimetres long.

"I certainly support this decision," said Ernie Parsons, MPP for Prince Edward-Hastings. "This is a top notch walleye area in Ontario and removing the lower size limit is good news for anglers and our local economy."

The ministry implemented a size limit for walleye in eastern Lake Ontario in 2002 following public consultation over concerns about the health of the walleye population in the Bay of Quinte. A review of the slot limit found that it only resulted in a 10 per cent drop in overall angling harvest and didn't have a beneficial effect on the breeding walleye population.

The regulation change is in effect pending the results of the regulation review currently under way. The ministry is developing a fisheries management plan for the Bay of Quinte in partnership with stakeholders. This plan will guide future fisheries management decisions.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well they've been threatening to do it for awhile now. I guess it's done :!:

Time will tell what effects there will be :!: :roll:
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

I still like that they kept the limit of 1 walleye over 63 cm. This way, the number of big fish taken is limited.

Mike
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

ProBassing:

Believe you're right on that one. I would dearly love to see Quinte the way it was in the 70's-80's. Letting those big ones go might be a large part of that scenario. Hope :shock:

Some other more stringent measures would help also, but I ain't getting into that here :roll:

Regards: :mrgreen:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Uh...

Post by Cancatchbass »

"A review of the slot limit found that it only resulted in a 10 per cent drop in overall angling harvest and didn't have a beneficial effect on the breeding walleye population."

Okey, dokey. So having no lower limit obviously would mean the harvest would have been (and will be) 10% HIGHER, right?

"We have determined that the existing size limits haven't had a significant beneficial impact on the walleye population in the Bay of Quinte, but have had a negative impact on the economies of local communities," said Ramsay. "Removing the slot size regulation will increase angling opportunities without adversely affecting the numbers of larger fish."

If the harvest increases by 10%, how can the number of " larger fish" not be adversely affected? :?

Only a politician could try and get away with making a statement like that! :lol: Oh well, he'll keep a couple of dozen local businesses off his back now, won't he? :wink:

CCB
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's exactly what it boiled down to CCB....and they have the nerve to admit to it.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tylercurt
Participant
Participant

Post by tylercurt »

Not sure it's a good thing, I don't mind letting the slot size go,still new to fishing in Ontario so I still belive in conservation, just hope all the boats on the water tonight realise it has been changed. I was in Trenton tonight and the waterfront was a zoo, tents, trailers and parties going on all over the park. All waiting for the midnight hour. Going to go out in Brighton tomorrow for a try with the youngster, hope he catches the big one. My two cents anyway.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

When those businesses shut down completely because people catch NO FISH. Then they will deserve it.

I think also think those numbers are questionable. I am sure the slot limit did make a big improvement on the Quinte fishery. From what I hear, fishing has been the best its been in awhile for the last few years.

People dont go to Quinte for numbers, but for Trophies.