Downrigger Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Downrigger Question

Post by BigSim »

Hey guys, just got off the phone with my Dad and he took the boat out for a lure washin the other day, and last year he picked up two new Scotty Electric downriggers. Finally, one less thing to worry about. Almost.

Here's the problem, he bought each downrigger in a different place, and he thought he was buying the exact same ones, but one he bought has an automatic shut off when it reaches the top, and the other one doesn't. Is there any way to put a stop on the other one? I know it's not a big deal to turn it off, but the auto-stop would be a bit nicer.

Thanks
BigSim
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Have you heard of Positive Ion control ? It’s when you control the voltage being produced from the electrons flowing from your cable to your boat in the water. Why I mention this is there have been studies that suggest the voltage induced on the cable used in the auto stop feature can repel fish.
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

BigSim, the Scotty downrigger stopper are a small plastic device that you attach to the cable and the position of that little plastic device determine where you want the ball to stop; I like the ball to stop in the water so when I fight a fish and ther is some waves the ball don't hit the side of the boat. So I imagine there is one of the downrigger with the lille stopper installe and the other one has none.
The Canon stop when the ball is just out of the water, exactly like xenos explained.
The small stoppers:Image