Saturday fishing report.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Saturday fishing report.

Post by Johnny Bass »

Well decided to go fishing late Saturday. Got to Georgian bay at about 3:30 pm.

The Owner at Pier 69 was nice enough to get our boat in the water nice and quick(and safe) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot something on the car and had to run back. 1/2 hour killed. anyways. Opened up the boat and it EASILY did 30MPH after playing with the trim. Could have gone faster but the ride was getting a little bumpy.

That fish finder is still annoying though. I dont understand. Some times it beeps and a huge fish in bold appears. Other time it shows fish with lines that read the depth of the fish with no beep. What does that mean?????

I am so used to my old fish finder.......

Also, my Live well does not seem to fill up by itself. I have to pour water into it. is that normal?????

Other than that the boat really handled well. I was also zumming around with the Electric motor, trying to get the hang of it.

Also. I baught an extra gas tank and a Yamaha male end. It seems to be leaking though and when I put the hose on the male end. Gas squirted out. Did I over fill the gas tank? It also seems slightly different from the other male end I have on the origional gas tank.

Anyways back to fishing. We covered alot of water but couldn't locate fish. My dad hooked a pike. It was his first pike on a lure, and he was Estatic. it was also the biggest pike he had caught. 5.3 lbs.lol

My dad is a old school fisherman. Minnows and 50 pound test and I am talking thick diameter. With a reel that could be entered into the fishing hall of fames antiques reels.lol

I let him use my fenwick, and we are now going to go buy a new rod and reel for him. He was impressed.lol He couldn't believe how far he could cast. He doesn't even know how to use the drag. He couldn't believe he caught the pike with 6lb test. (lucky I pre set the drag) :)

The new HMX fenwicks are medium action but work more like a light action. Better for fighting and light line but less back bone. I like the older model for larger fish but the new model for smaller fish(Under lets says 8 lbs?) The old fenwick style were the best on the market.

Well I took A picture of my dad's first pike and will post it when the roll is done. Thats the first picture of the roll. After this roll, I am going digital!

My dad hooked another one and lost it(or it could have been weeds).

I had a hit on a extra large spinner bait but no hook up(must have grabbed the plastic tail). I finally hooked a 3-4 LB LM bass. Released it quickly, no picture no nothing.

This Time I backed up the truck and did a great job. Loaded the boat and we were off. I also drove the truck & boat all the way home. It was easy but then again, there was hardly any traffic.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I've noticed. No pictures no replies. Pictures lots of replies.lol
Well at least I reported. Word of advice this spring. DOWNSIZE your lures. There hitting smaller baits.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Johnny, Ya gotta give the folks what they want....and they want to see the return of shirtless Johnny Bass! :P

Being the proud owner of a new kicker with a portable gas tank, I too experieced the gas spray. I think mine was due to air pressure built inside the tank forcing out the gas when I went to clip it on. To aviod it, I simple make sure my vent is open before I snap on.

Congrats to your dad and his first pike.

Post by Guest »

I usually get " the Gas Spray" after 2 pounds of hot wings at Locals... :lol:
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

What model fishfinder do you have. Maybe someone out there has the same model and can help. I use my fishfinders in manual mode with fishid off, but on my old fishfinder you had a choice of showing fish with the depth or without. Try playing with the menu and look for the fishid settings.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Good report Johnny.

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Good report Johnny, As far as the fishfinder is concerned mine does some what the same thing as you are saying when i have it set to see large fish only. It will show me the bait fish but will only Beep at lets say a 1 1/2 or 2lbs fish +. I dont and have never owned a boat with livewell so i cant help yeah there. Sounds like a nice ride though. I think your on my team man lets get some points up together sometime. 8)

Good Hunting,
Muskymuskymusky
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

After this roll I well get a digital camera and plaster this site with fishing pics!!
And of my great body. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ya I think you may be right Markus. I never even knew there was a pressure valve.

Also noticed I had a live well pump which I was not aware of. Which had a plug on it. No wonder no water came in.lol Now Hopefully the pump works.

I have fixed all the kinks of the boat except my Fishfinder that has a VERY LOW BEEP!!! :x

Now All I need is a truck :shock:

Thanks. My dad is now Jonesing to go fishing again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I have a Hummingbird 300TX(XT?) AN older model.

It shows boat speed,temperature, depths, everything but the LOUD BEEP! :x

I also have a hummingurd platinum ID but is not compatible with the connections.

Oh well. I might just upgrade and put a Fishfinder on the deck. So I can see where I am casting when trolling around.

Problem solved :)

Trust me Musky. Soon I will be really putting up the points ;)