First Fish!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Saskette
Participant
Participant

First Fish!

Post by Saskette »

Hey All,

Saskie's is away this week so I figured I get to be the one to report that it's official. Last night we managed to land the first fish in our new boat! :D Ok, so it was the only fish landed last night but hey it's a start.

Second ever launch went very well. Boat drives like a dream...now if only getting it back on the trailer was a dream! What a nighmare!!

Doesn't seem to matter what we do it doesn't want to sit straight on the trailer. Never far enough up on the trailer and always sits too far to one side. It has carpeted bunkers (is that what you call them?) so I thought it would be a breeze but apparently I was way wrong!

Any tips/suggestions are welcome!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Are you backing in too far? Try leaving the tops of the bunks out of the water a little more and then drive on. Your boat isn't heavy, so just crank it on.

You'll find you sweet spot for backing the trailer in soon enough.

Congrates on the first fish! :P What was it?
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Try to invest in some trailer guides. They are worth it for us beginners. Take
Markus's advice. Just let the pads(or trailer guides) barely be out of the water. Tie a long rope to the front of the Boat ring. Then pull it in and get it square on the Bunker. then you can either back the vehicle a little more into the water and pull the rest on, or crank it with the wedge. Make sure it is centered on the rollers.

I too just bought a new boat and the first day was a nightmare. But believe me. It gets easier.

Good luck.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Why crank it on if it has carpeted bunkers. That type of trialer is designed to drive the boat on. If you back the trailer in so that 1/4 to 1/8 of the bunks are still out of the water, the boat should centre itself on the trailer, then give it enough gas so that it pushes itself up onto the trailer. You should only have to crank it the last 6"s or so, if at all.

Ed
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Congrat's on "the" fish! :lol: You've broken the ice, now!

Like anything new, you guys will get used to the boat and bringing it in to the trailer. After a few more runs, you'll be right on track, I'm sure.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Ed, I only lightly drive mine on...for 2 reasons.

1. Power loading isn't permitted at some of the local ramps here. They claim the props are flushing the bottom away and causing the ramps to erode. :?

2. I've seen a few back ends drop down and the props take a good whack on the bottom when the thrust is applied.

I think confidence will settle in soon for the Saskies and they'll be loading that boat like pro's in no time. Just don't forget to trim that motor up! :P
Saskette
Participant
Participant

Post by Saskette »

Markus wrote:Are you backing in too far? Try leaving the tops of the bunks out of the water a little more and then drive on. Your boat isn't heavy, so just crank it on.

It was a 15" cat!

We've tried a few different depths. Saskie has been driving it on. We can get the bow all the way up and resting on the V shaped thing (?), the back seems to settle into the bunkers, but when we pull it out of the water the back is sitting too far to one side.

Oh well I'm sure we'll get it right soon enough. I do remeber these days with the old boat and trailer but the beauty of the old tinbanger was that Saskie and I could pick the back end up and put in where it was suppose to be. We aint moving this one! :D
Saskette
Participant
Participant

Post by Saskette »

Markus wrote:Are you backing in too far? Try leaving the tops of the bunks out of the water a little more and then drive on. Your boat isn't heavy, so just crank it on.

It was a 15" cat!

We've tried a few different depths. Saskie has been driving it on. We can get the bow all the way up and resting on the V shaped thing (?), the back seems to settle into the bunkers, but when we pull it out of the water the back is sitting too far to one side.

Oh well I'm sure we'll get it right soon enough. I do remeber these days with the old boat and trailer but the beauty of the old tinbanger was that Saskie and I could pick the back end up and put in where it was suppose to be. We aint moving this one! :D
Saskette
Participant
Participant

Post by Saskette »

It was a 15" cat!

Saskette
Participant
Participant

Post by Saskette »

It was a 15" cat!