Catching Gar Pike on the Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I've made my own baits for this year......there is no closed season....

Muskiemagnet and I targetted them one night last year.....resulting in this....

A word of caution.....these fish are like nothing you ever caught in this area once in the boat....be prepared for anything....

Once back from Westmeath.....it's gar time for me......2 nights a week.... :wink:

RJ
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi all

thats a realy nice one,,,,,,, :shock:

what was is lure again,,,, :wink: ,,,,,,,,,,

they dont get mutch bigger then this,,,,,,,there some big one....but the record is not that big,,,,,,i just can t remember,,,,, :?

thanks for this picture,,,, :P

joco :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

We know the record....... :wink:

If I was a bettin man......

RJ

Post by Guest »

if you get one get Steve Hamilton to weigh it, it will be a record for sure :roll: :D :D :D :D
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Hey Joco

I was reading that article on alligator gars in Texas in the Fishing Facts magazine you lent me.Those things are huge 8 to 10 feet in length,and some teeth as big as an inch :?

As for gars local, if you go to turtle pond at Petrie Islands when the water warms up a bit, you can literaly see there long snouts on the surface in schools.Its an amzing sight.I cant wait to put one in the boat this year!
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

I caught two Gar last summer, both in Shirley's Bay while wading. If memory serves (my fishing log is at home) I caught one with a white buzzbait and the other with either a yellow or chartreuse spinnerbait.

One other tip, landing these monsters while wading in chest deep water armed with a 3" pair of pliers presents a bit of a "Challenge" to be sure.
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gar-goiled .....

Post by D-mo »

Well me and Fatrap and J-bird when Gar'in this weekend at my fav. honey hole and came up flat .. bigtime .. afraid that the weather has really efected "migration" of our long nose little friends. Oh well ... there is alway the upcoming long weekend ... :shock:
d-mo
drdave
Participant
Participant

Post by drdave »

at the museum of nature (Metcalfe street, Ottawa) they have a little gar (foot and a harf long) in a tank up on the 3rd floor with all the bugs and spiders and snails and stuff..

take your kids sometime you can check out the dinoasaur skeletons in
the basement then view a prehistoric fish on the 3rd!!

As a kid i remember casting across 'a school' of them and hooking one in the side and bringing it in just to check it out.. I can just imagine trying to pry your lure out of that needle mouth..