I think it's a White Sucker

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BrettM
Participant
Participant

I think it's a White Sucker

Post by BrettM »

I was told this stream had Speckled in it. It's just up past Lanark and it flows into the Clyde River. Here it is.

Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

I belive those are grass carp. Invasive species. They are plentiful in eastons creek and as you said the clyde. Catch and kill regulations just like gobies
-yung
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Picture's not "BIG" enough!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

Those look like creek chubs to me. Great for using as live bait for pike. :D
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Actually they are Fallfish, a member of the chub/minnow family. They can grow to well over a foot and are common in the Clyde River and Mississippi watersheds. Unlike suckers and carp they are very aggressive and will hit small lures and flies. A poor mans substitute for trout.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Yup...ganmans got it right. I second the Fallfish. :)
BrettM
Participant
Participant

Post by BrettM »

I was using Mepps 1's. I clipped off one of the hooks because I was getting hits but no hooks and that worked well. They were lots of fun to catch, real active guys and I look forward to try and perfect my fly fishing skills.

Still looking for a nice trout stream within an hour of Ottawa, if anyone knows let me know pls. thanks

In other news, I'm new to the board, but I'd like to share my opening weekend story and technique. Some Buddies and I went up on the Ottawa Past Sand Point (Stayed in the next bay over from Stories Bay). Of course it pee pee all weekend and the fish werent biting. We tried everything. I thought the mouth of the Bonnechere would be crazy at the start of the year, but we worked up and down the drop, using minnows, worms, and I even through a few cranks down there, but all we got were catties. Sunday it was finally not raining, and we decided to troll through 10-19 feet of water as we made our way throughout the river. Early on I hooked into a nice wally, hauled her in from 100 yards back, sitting in about 12 feet of water. She was a beauty. 27.5", 4 lbs 8 oz. The technique is long lining, where I let out over 100-150 yards of line and have a weight 6 feet up from the Rapala Husky Jerk. This gets my lure running at the right depth, rather than the 6 feet it normally would run at. Caught a few more pike with the same setup on different days.

Look forward to hangin around the board

Brett
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I've caught those in the Mississippi river through Carleton Place while wading tageting SM. Always wondered what the heck they were!
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

re

Post by BBRich »

One thing is for sure.. for such a little fish, those babies can fight!! (Fallfish)
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I guess with them all strung up like that you're gonna be eating them.......oughta be interesting. I'm told they taste like a wet, mushy brown paper bag.
Last edited by ganman on Thu May 26, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fallfish

Post by Jigs »

Think positive. Try filleting to remove all the bones :shock: :shock: ......good luck :!: :!: and making a chowder.

We've done it with rock bass, and it wasen't too bad.

A guy once told me there were specs in the Clyde. There I was chasing the wild goose, catching 12" pike, when a local happened by, asked me what I was trying for, and (like a fool) I told him.

Thought he was going to have a stroke, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....tears rollin down his face........he said, "SON,,,,there jist ain't no gol dang trout in the Clyde" Son, yep, was younger then. Wish someone was old enough to call me son now :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol:

He did put me on to a good little stream that I fished for many years. The name and location escape me at the moment.........sorry :oops: :oops:

Try the chowder.

Regards: :wink:
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fallfish

Post by something_fishy »

I catch those all the time in Grand Canyon up in Algonquin Park, they are a hell of a fight and they will take any trout lure. I was getting them in over 30 feet of moving water, but they are great to catch, they don't taste good though, I tried wrapping one up like a trout, and man it really sucks bad, if you can imagine ground up worm with a hint of dirt, then thats pretty much it!!

Chris
Squib
Participant
Participant

Post by Squib »

guess with them all strung up like that you're gonna be eating them.......oughta be interesting. I'm told they taste like a wet, mushy brown paper bag
Mmmmm wet paper bag... (insert best Homer Simpson drool here). :D
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Speaking of the Clyde it was stocked at one time with rainbow. Where they were stocked was way near Lavant on the south branch. They put in 500 a year for a couple years. It's hardly a trickle there. Nothing came from it.

Worth checking out is the stocking of browns on the Bonnechere near Eganville. They put in some serious numbers. Likely nothing will come of it either. The Bonnechere is a warm water river.

Best bet for a topnotch trout river in eastern Ontario? Have hydro build a huge honkin dam 100 feet high on any of the rivers flowing out off the Madawaska/Land O Lakes country. Make the dam a bottom release so the cold bottom water is drawn off. Instant trout river and a "dam" good one. :lol: : :wink: :roll:
BrettM
Participant
Participant

Post by BrettM »

I contacted the ministry and they sent me a list of places they stock. I live in Stittsville and remember as a young kid (10 years ago) pulling trout out of there, but there was a chlorine spill and I thought the trout was dead. Went down there today and saw a few Browns around the 12" length darting around. They have stocked it with about 3000 in the last 6 years.

In Daring Township there are 10 creeks and lakes that have been stocked for Brookies. The Lanark area seems to stocked the most. If anyone knows specific directions to access any of these creeks, could you please PM me:

Brook:
Craig Creek
Eastons Creek
Indian Creek
Pauls Creek
Bottle Lake
Duncs Lake
Green Lake
Hollinger Lake
Kates Lake
Little Green Lake
Minnow Lake