question about four stroke honda motor

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
girl-fisher
Participant
Participant

question about four stroke honda motor

Post by girl-fisher »

I helped move a friends things from a cottage. A 4 stroke motor started on its side in the truck but with everyone loading things it ended up in a worse position. The motor lost mosts of it oil and it is all over the motor. I feel responsible to get it back to my friend in good shape. Could the oil have leaked somewhere that would cause damage or will it just smoke awhile when I start it up.Help!!!!
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

It most likely came from the filler neck, you have to make sure there is sufficient oil in the motor before you try and start it. There are also good engine cleaners that can will take care of the oily mess.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

hmmm

Post by something_fishy »

I would just clean up as best as I could and top up the oil resevoir. It shouldn't cause any problems other than smoke, run it for a while just to burn off any excess smoke that would be touching hot spots on the. Make sure to keep it upright for a while(I would let it sit upright for at least 1 hour after refilling the oil) before starting it though.

Chris
girl-fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by girl-fisher »

Thanks for the advice. Could the oil run into the cylinders?
froghog
Participant
Participant

Honda 4 stroke

Post by froghog »

As you are probably aware the motor can be put on it's side providing it is on the side that has the lugs on it otherwise you will loose oil, I do not have my manual here but if you were to give DK Dods (they sell the honda motors) a call at 613 692-2000 I am sure he will give you advice as to what you should be doing.
something_fishy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Don't worry

Post by something_fishy »

If any oil runs into the cylinders, which probably won't happen, it will just burn off anyway.

What the problem was just for future reference is this. The motor can only be placed on 1 side, the other side has a breather hole. You put it on the wrong side, that's all. Next time put it the opposite way you had it. This type of problem happens with a lot of people.
As far as engine damage goes, don't worry about it. Just stand it upright, refill the oil and let it sit for 2 hours and then recheck the oil, don't overfill the oil, this CAN damage the engine. Afte 2 hours have passed and the oil levels are good, run it to burn off any excess oil residue. All should be fine.

Chris
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

The following text is a quote from the manual of my Honda four stroke outboard:

"Any other storage position may cause damage or oil leakage" where other storage position refers to a position other than laying on its side on the case protector lugs or vertical storage on a stand. Consequently, I'd follow the recommendation that was made to talk to a Honda mechanic to be sure. Better safe than sorry!
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Girl-fisher, I understand you wanting to return the motor to the owner in better condition than when you borrowed it. That is the sign of a person with integrity.

But, may I suggest, you wipe off any oil and then return it to the owner and explain what happened. I can assure you, nothing it broken.
Worst case scenario, the oil needs a refill, will smoke at next restart, and may foul spark plugs from excess oil in cyclinders.
But, and this is not meant as an insult to your mechanical prowess, if you are unsure, don't do anything. You potentially do more damage trying to "fix" a problem that is not there.
Is your friend from whom you borrowed this motor mechanically inclined? And understanding? :D

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
girl-fisher
Participant
Participant

Post by girl-fisher »

Thanks for all the advice. I talked to a mechanic who services my truck and he said he would take a look at it. The owner of the motor knows as little or less than I do about motors. Can't wait to north to fish again. Hope to try for some pike on the fly rod. I am new to fly fishing any advice for pike and bass would be great. I am looking to by a rod and reel. I am hearing that you don't need to spend alot on a reel. I have just completed fly fishing 101 with a guide from grand river troutfitters. I need much more time with this guy!!!