Fishing BIG Cats on Manitoba's Red River - May 23rd

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fishing BIG Cats on Manitoba's Red River - May 23rd

Post by Markus »

I woke up early Monday morning and headed to the airport. I was on my way to Winnipeg for a couple days and didn't know what to expect as far as a fishing adventure was concerned.

A couple of weeks ago I threw up a post asking for any help/info regarding fishing in the Winnipeg area. Saski sent me a PM and got me in touch with a gentlemen from that local area named Kim. I shot him an email, said "Hey ya wanna go fishing?" and he responded with a big "lets do it". He was familar with Fish-Hawk and more than happy to play host for the day! :D

I met kim at the dock late morning and we jumped into his 20 foot lund and wasted no time firing up the big 200HP merc. This would be my first time flying down the Red River and I was shocked at how many pelicans inhabbited that system.

We headed straight for the famous Lockport Locks and got started. After trying a few different spots in heavy current, we both took a turn at landing a giant cat!

The bite slowed for us and Kim looked at me and said, lets get out of here. We cruised back down river and set up once again in a slow part of the river. This would prove to be an excellent move. We started banging off the big bohemoths steadily. I can't tell ya the power these fish have! They run and they hold. Awesome!

The fish were all big. Unbelievable size ranging from 25-30 pounds...and Kim said the big ones were still come. :? We even enjoyed a huge double header.

Kim was an awesome host. We got to talk fishing all day. He told me a lot about the Walleye fishery on Lake O and I got him excited about tales from the Bay of Quinte. Kim runs a top notch guide service on the Red River. He's got all the gear, understands the fish, has a great personality and most of all, puts you on fish! Anyone heading to the Winnipeg area and is looking for a great day fishin should contact Kim at greenbakone@hotmail.com or http://www.greenbackfishing.com.

I had a blast fishing this system and can't wait to return and try it again. Kim, you were a great host and I thank you for some great memories. Fishing Channels on Manitoba's Red River has been on my "to do" list for a while now.

I can't wait to try the fishing tecnique Kim showed me here on the Grand River. I think it just may tempt some off SW ON's big cats into the boat. :wink: :P
Last edited by Markus on Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

You are strong man Markus. holding two 30lb cats just like that :))

Awesome story !!!
x-Toban
Participant
Participant

Post by x-Toban »

WOW!

You are making me homesick!!! Sorry I couldn't reply to your posts reagarding fishing the Red River but it's been busy in the agricultural world these last few weeks.

Other great guids for big cats on the red are "Cats on the Red" and "Birchpoint Outfitters" (Eric).

Were you fishing near the damn or further up the river, closer to the lake??? What "technique" were you using ??? Bait???

Did you register those bad boys with Manitoba's Agling program... I'll bet you have a Master Angler or two there.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I believe we land 5 Master Anglers on Monday. All the others were just shy of that status.

I'd love to post the fishing tecnique and bait, but I just feel that's Kim's setup and without his blessing, I probably shouldn't broadcast it.

The Red River is truly an awesome place.
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Markus what a report! Great looking fish! Hopefully Kim can make it to the BOQ adventure weekend in the fall.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Those are some huge and ugly looking cats Markus!!!!!

Those gotta be worth some cat points in the derby!
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Big kitties. Nice going.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'm trying to get him to come for a weekend in the fall and return the hosting favor. I sure hope he can swing it.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Big and ugly!!!!!!!!!! The cats too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Hey Arnold, nice cats!!! :P
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Lmfao@Bacon, not nice. Man, those things are huge! Looks like a simply amazing outing Markus.[/quote]
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

re

Post by BBRich »

WOW... You werent kidding when you said you caught some BIG cats!!! :shock:

Better tell Johnny Bass to pack up his stuff and head west! :lol:
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Gald it worked out for ya! Nice kitties...it figures the one weekend I'm in Winnipeg them slack and idle air force pukes would decide to have meetings through the weekend :evil:
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Saskie...your da man. Thanks for the contact.

....they bite at night too ya know. :wink: :lol:
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

here Kitty Kitty.Wow are they ever nice
Norm