Oil Leak??!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Oil Leak??!!

Post by Tonyb »

I have a 2000 Merc 90 hp. 4-stroke. Up to now everything has been perfect. This year i have noticed that after running the engine seems to give off a very small amount of oil into the water. I have taken the boat home and left it in the garage with newspaper under the engine, in both the tilted up and down position for a few days and no oil shows up at all.

The "oil slick" only appears after the motor has been running and eventually goes away...

Is this normal for an engine to do, is there anything I can add to seal the motor or should I call on a mercury dealer? Has anyone experienced this with this kind of motor?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Tony
The bigger, the better!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

probably just coming from the exhaust??
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

i would doubt u have a oil leak... could just be rich fuel while the choke is on and motor is warming up.. check your lower end fluid levels and color... if that doesn't satisfy you take it to your dealer for a pressure test.. $50 is a small amount to pay for a piece of mind... good luck Jammer
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

OIL

Post by Bruin »

I would check the hydrolic shaft that lifts and lowers the motor (TILT) You may have a leaky seal there. Just a thought!!!
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Oil Leak??!!

Post by Tonyb »

Thanks fellows for the ideas. didn't even know there was such a thing as a pressure test. Got a new hydralic trim last year but that is a thought as well. Anyhow, I will look further and thanks again.
The bigger, the better!