Boat Trailer 101

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Boat Trailer 101

Post by Eagle »

Greetings,

Tried a search and not being successful......

Hooked up the boat trailer for are annual trek to Ontario and the lights were very dim, would go out when the brakes were applied, and the turn signals were reversed, left turn signal would flash the right trailer light. Hmmm, BAD GROUND. FINALLY found it. Removed paint and hooked up the ground (driver's side trailer light) and bingo. Every thing worked. Lights bright, but no brake light or turn signal on the driver's side. Other side works as it should. Do I need to search for another bad ground? Is there a re-wiring in my future? Any hints would be appreciated.

Secondly, when we were loading the boat for the trip home, the nylon boat strap began to tear. Almost half way across and it is only a bit over one year old. Glad we put the safety chain on the trailer. Made it back with no problem, but need to replace the strap obviously. Any recommendations? Stay with the nylon strap or go cable? What do I need to look for if anything in a new one?

Sorry for these elementary questions, but got to learn some how. Why not from the best!!!

By the way, Dad, my son, and I had a fantastic trip fishing in Sunset Country of Ontario, as usual.

Thanks for your input.

Eagle
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'd just cut the strap above the tare and re-tie. It probably got a knick it from the gear edge of the crank.

You'll be good to go.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Lights bright, but no brake light or turn signal on the driver's side. Other side works as it should. Do I need to search for another bad ground? Is there a re-wiring in my future?
You likely have 1 of 2 problems ...

1) A bad bulb. The bulbs in these trailers are usually stop/tail/turn, meaning there is a filament for each function (I'm pretty sure). Perhaps the stop/turn (which may also be the same filament) maybe broken. Kind of like when your headlight blows but your highbeams still work. If your lights are not 'waterproof/ sealed', try changing the bulb. If they are water proof/ sealed, you'll need a whole new light (you can get these at CT or Walmart).

2) Other possibility is the wiring. Usually for this type of problem the wiring has gone south in 1 of 2 places. a) Where the lights tap in off of the main line near the bulbs or b) where the 2 connectors plug into each other at the vehicle.

For fun, you may want to try splicing in a new connector at the vehicle if it is starting to show wear, they are only a couple of bucks. Or another something I see on occasion, lights that don't work dry sometimes work after you pull your trailer off the launch (it which case it is usually the first problem).

Good luck, keep us posted.

M.T. Livewell
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

Does your tow vehicle use two colour tail lights? If so, the transformer may have failed. Mine seem to last only three or four years and then need replacing. The symptoms are exactly what you are describing.
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

Yes Flipper I did have that same problem. Went to a trailor place that set me up with the right pice of equipment to use the stardard plug connection,
dr_feelgood
Participant
Participant

Post by dr_feelgood »

Check for a bad ground , that was the problem with the neighbours trailer.
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

crash wrote:Yes Flipper I did have that same problem. Went to a trailor place that set me up with the right pice of equipment to use the stardard plug connection,
I've been getting the replacement transformers at wallyworld for under $20.00 and use crimp connectors to install them.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

Transformer...Hmmm, guess I could hook up to another vehicle and see if the problem is there or not. If it works like it should, then I need to look at the vehicle. Where would I look for this transformer? Definately a new one on me? Bulbs are good. We soldered the wires together on that side. Could we have a problem with the wires not having enough insulation?

What do you guys do for the wench? Strap or cable? The rip is next to the hook and I really do not feel comfortable in cutting off the strap and re-attaching the hook to it.

It is hotter than everything here in Oklahoma. So, maybe I can get up early this weekend and do some more trouble shooting.

Thanks for your input.

Eagle
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

On my current vehicle, Isuzu Rodeo, the transformer is in the rear compartment where the jack is kept. On the pick up truck I was using before, the transformer was under the bed near the tail gate. It's about 2" by 3". If you follow your wiring harness back, you will find it. Note- this only applies to vehicles with two colour tail lights on your vehicle. You can find the transformer in the trailer section at wallmart.

If you have single colour tail lights, I would suspect the vehicles flasher unit. Changing the flasher to a heavy duty version solves the problem.