Fishin the Grand

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
girl-fisher
Participant
Participant

Fishin the Grand

Post by girl-fisher »

Hi all, I need some advice where I can fly fish for bass around Kitchener. I bought a new rod so I would like to test it out. I am heading to Huntsville area Wednesday for some lake fishin. Can't wait!!!!!
Dobbie
Participant
Participant

Post by Dobbie »

Hi GF, Lots of good spots in K/W. Pretty much anywehre on the Grand Kaufman Flats, Kiwanis Park, Freeport Big stremers and bass poppers should get you started. Make sure you use a heavery leader for big strip leaches / zonkers. (pike) Lots of smaller ponds around if you are into that. Wed I am going too, Pigeon/Buckhorn/Chemong Good Luck!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

GF, shoot salmon a PM. He's from that area and I'm sure would be pleased to help ya out.
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

Just about anywhere on the grand is good.
I am familiar with the brantford area of the grand but you don't need to drive that far. If you are looking for a drive though the Nith river has some great small mouth fishing. I fished it with spinning gear my whole life and when I learned to fly fish I found monster bass that I had never seen with my spinning rod.

If you head towards fergus on the grand you can get into world class brown trout fishing too. ask the guys at Natural sports on victoria ave (highway 7 i think???) in kitchener or grand river troutfitters in fergus.
The store in fergus is a little better but natural sports has lots of great fly fishing stuff too.

Greatest advice for fly fishing is SLOW DOWN.
everytime you're having trouble just slow down.

have fun,

Keith
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D The guys have covered it. There are smallies any where you stop on the Grand. I work the section from the Galt part of Cambrdige south. Access points all along the way off of the bike trail. 25 smallies in a morning not uncommon..but half of those will be aggressive 10" fish. The NIth should be lower this time of year. It holds big smallies in the pools. Access at bridges...I think its one of the most under fished rivers. :)