Catfish Die Off

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Catfish Die Off

Post by Markus »

Probably won't draw as much attention as the muskie, but there seems to be a large scale Channel Cat die off in a few Rivers in my area.

This morning, JimW and I made our way back into the mouth of the Otter River in Port Burwell and were greated with a large number of belly up Cats....some bigguns too!

I called the MNR, they gave me a number for the dept of enviorment, so I called them. I lovely lady took my info, informed me there was a gentlemen in the area and he'd check it out right away.

I'm guessing it's water temp related. I'll let you know if I get a call back.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

That seems kinda odd Markus, I guess I always assumed that the channel cats were pretty tough. Perhaps they need a fair bit of oxygen as well?

Too bad to hear about massive die offs thats for sure. I guess after your adventure for Cats on the Red River the local ones just dont catch your attention anymore do they ?

Fox
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

They do, but they were in late this year and conflicted with the timing of the spring salmon fishing. :D I'll be at them again next year.
keep it reel
Participant
Participant

Post by keep it reel »

Markus,I noticed that on Monday when I went out. I'd like to know what the MNR has to say,if anything. Thanks, Keep it reel
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

keep it reel, I missed the call, but a field employee left me a message. He's on his way down to check it out. Said he;ll call me back.

I'm impressed with the prompt follow up. Glad I called. :P
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

there is that word again "loverly"
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

With the exception of the muskies on the St. Lawrence, would you very-frequent fishermen/ladies say you've seen a greater die off of fish this year? It seems like there have been several reports from different areas reporting on mortalities.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

There has been a lot of dead floaters around here the last week or so. I'd say I see a dozen or more each day. Man you can even smell them before you see them at times.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

I agree wolfe, I have seen many reports from many different areas about die offs this year, the st lawrence muskies, the cats, the carp/drums in BOQ, and a few I can't think of at the moment....