Tell me where to go - Dog Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tell me where to go - Dog Lake

Post by ganman »

So it was Dog Lake today. So much for avoiding muddy roads, ran into road construction on the way over and coated everything in a misting of mud :evil: :evil:

Launched at Brewers Lock and motored out onto Cranberry and I could not get over the water color water - beige/green, lure disappeared in a foot of water and it almost felt hot to touch. Headed over to Dog and conditions in the south basin were the same. I never went up to the north end where the Splake are but its hard to imagine with this kind of algae bloom there are any left alive. I wish I had a themometer I've never felt water that warm in a lake or river before. It felt 90F.

I last fished here a month ago and it was amazing how much things have changed. It was moderately clear then and more weeds. Still all things considered with a cold front moving in and the weather unsettled it was probably better to be on a stained lake than a clear one.

Tried a big spinnerbait with a single huge thumping blade for awhile, waked it, slow rolled it and fluttered it and only managed to catch one small bass and lots of slime.

Tried a buzzbait over top of the weeds and a rattletrap on the outside edge too with no luck so I decided to slow down.

Tried pitching a jig into pockets but with the dirty water it was impossible to see the pockets. Even Senko's drew a blank.

Did best with a texas rigged worm worked through the coontail and on the edges and a fire tiger crankbait just outside the weeds. By sundown I'd caught at least a dozen fat 1-3 lbers and one 4+.

Things cooled off in a hurry so I said the heck with the topwater bite and headed home.

What a mess that body of water is in. At the locks the place stinks of sewage. When I got home and parked the boat in the garage I couldn't stand the smell of it so I went to the car wash and hosed it down.
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

Well, sounds like the fishing didn't turn out too bad though.
Once you got going.

the sewage smell would really add to the experience :?

Good job catching fish on a tough day.

Keith
susquehannasmallmouth
Participant
Participant

Dog Lake Water Quality

Post by susquehannasmallmouth »

We were looking at spending a week on Dog Lake this year but I'm a little worried after noting the comments from Ganman on the water quality, etc.

Should I avoid this lake?
susquehannasmallmouth
Participant
Participant

I am assuming it is the Dog Lake that borders Cranberry, just north of Kingston. Not the one way up north.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

bassmasta wrote:Oh i know what lake that is you pass it on the way to loughborough lake.....a small town near by is battersea i believe. Its a small lake i think with alot of log structure.

Never fished it ..but was tempted a few times

bassmasta
That would be the one. I've fished it a few years for Splake but never in Winter...

Nice Lake!
bassmasta
Participant
Participant

Post by bassmasta »

Last edited by bassmasta on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
susquehannasmallmouth
Participant
Participant

There are a few places listed here: http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/accom-camp.html
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Bassmasta, Dog Lake is a large lake south of Loughborough. The place you see is a bay off Dog or more likely from your description Cedar Lake.

SSmallmouth don't let that post keep you away, last year was exceptionally warm and it was the peak of summer. A week or so later things really picked up. The bass fishing on Dog is better than most of the Rideau.
susquehannasmallmouth
Participant
Participant

Thanks for chiming in G-man!
bassmasta
Participant
Participant

Post by bassmasta »

Last edited by bassmasta on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

Bassman you won't be alone. I too will be down in there somwhere fishing.