Senkos - PLEASE enlighten me...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

great post folks. I learned a lot.
I grew up as a mepps and spoon thrower, and in winter, minnows through the ice.
I have heard a lot about the plastics but have never really tried them.
Recently I bought a trunk load (lol) from JP (thanks again) and am just starting to learn them.2 years ago I started using tubes and have had a little luck.
Wolfe- that is a great link,I saved it.
thanks all
Norm
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Sweet potato pie, shepard's pie, bubble gum.....jeez, guys, I'm getting hungry! :lol:

Reading Rescue's detailed advice, it reminded me of something I got to experience while fishing in the Adirondacks this past wknd. (Fishing was really slow, but it was drop-dead gorgeous there.) I was fishing my go-to lure on slow days, a TX-rigged worm (this one pink!) and was getting it in close to the boat when I noticed TWO largemouths following. They were small, one around 10", the other 12". Since my worm was weightless, it was just kind of hanging there, and so were they, just kind of lazily watching. I twitched it very lightly and the larger bass sucked it right in, but not in any kind of hurry. I could see him gumming it around! This was the coolest thing to be able to watch in the super clear water...only about 10 feet from the boat. My husband poked fun at me that I was "cheating", as I set the hook based on a sight hit. :lol: Anyway, it was cool to see how the twitch brought about a smack, I guess based on the movement-trigger instinct...

It was really cool. Too bad he wasn't bigger!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

yes ty everyone!

now this was a thread worth reading :D :D ....now i know the difference in rigging and ussing i always threw them out and retrieve them :oops: thought that was the way to use them!and never had any luck,i tried tubes still no luck :twisted: maybe not ussing them proper :oops: but now i have some more info to go out and try something different :D thxs all!

hey maybe fishhawk should start up the thread with tips and tricks like they used to for us beginners lol!on plastics anyhow lol

zort
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

zort10 wrote:yes ty everyone!

now this was a thread worth reading :D :D ....now i know the difference in rigging and ussing i always threw them out and retrieve them :oops: thought that was the way to use them!and never had any luck,i tried tubes still no luck :twisted: maybe not ussing them proper :oops: but now i have some more info to go out and try something different :D thxs all!

hey maybe fishhawk should start up the thread with tips and tricks like they used to for us beginners lol!on plastics anyhow lol

zort
Z10
Tubes are another thing you don'tt want to do to much with "Dead sticking" is very effective!!
Also there are different ways to rig them and I highly Suggest when rigging don't put the weight in the very top of the tube!

this might help
http://www.fish-hawk.net/tips/tubes/rigging-tube.php
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

thxs cb

love new info!

zort
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Best to fish senkos on calm days...also boat gotta be somewhat stable (ie: not moving or drifting around too much).

I have found the oposite to be true. Maybe this is my secret system as I have never heard it talked about.

I rig wacky style on a weedless hook then I cast out and drift over thick weed groth about 1 foot under the surface in 6 feet of water and the Small Mouths just go nuts. I went through 2 packeges of Senkos in less than an hour.

The hard part is keeping the Senkos on the hook as my rate is about 1 Bass per Senko. I need to find a cheap source of O-rings. CTC the are about $.75 a piece which is about the same cost as the lure.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Steve, try some over sized surgical tubing cut into small say 1/2" pieces and slide the senko through and then your hook through the tubing and the senko.

The tubing can be dyed aswelll to accomodate skitty clear water fishies :wink:

Usually runs bout 2 or 3 bucks a foot.

F.F
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Lets put it this way - the Scourge of Smallmouth (aka Saskette) now uses nothing but a wacky rigged senko instead of a nightcrawler and leadhead. Senkos were out performing live bait. Cast it out let it sit/fall dead-stick on slack line and watch the line for a strike. Every once in a while gently take up the slack by lifting on the rod tip to: 1 - give it a little wiggle; 2 - see if a fish has it - (often the bites can be quite subtle).
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

If plastic stickbaits (or Senkos - that seems to have become the generic term) are not working, you are probably not putting then where the bass are.

And I agree with someone else who inferred that vigilance was necessary to prevent hooks from getting swallowed. It's why I shy from wacky-rigging.

Picture a smallmouth or largemouth inhaling a 6 inch senko. The diameter of their mouth is maybe 3 or 4 inches. The bait gets sucked in and for a second becomes the shape of a "U". The hook is at the bottom of the U and is the first thing to go down the gullet. I'm convinced I do less damage with senkos rigged weedless - less of the hooks wind up in the gullet. And I am not yet convinced that wacky-rigs outfish weedless. Sure, on some days the subtle difference in the way the bait drops will be what it takes, but that is like anything in fishing.

Mrs Livewell. Go get some pumpkinseed coloured senkos and rig them weedless or wacky. If MT won't slow down then cast in the direction you are moving and reel in the slack as you approach your bait. You want to take in the slack at a pace that lets the bait continue to fall vertically. Watch your line like a hawk and when it twitches or moves sideways, reel in all slack and set the hook as fast as you can.

The fish lovem and will swallow them as fast as they can.

And plastic baits work like nuts if you can get them in front of fish.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

As far losing them off your hooks......cut your broken tubes into 3/4 inch slices....slide that over the Senko...then put your hook thru both.... :wink:

Try to match colours...

RJ
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

or rig them from the tail end (same action) an dthen rig them wack... get 3 fish per senko (i say fish cause the sunfish grab them as fast as the bass do lol)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Half the battle is figuring out what to set the hook on...(bass)....and what not to...(pannies)....once ya got that figured out.....youll go thru 5 times less plastics...
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

What sold me on the senko type baits was when I was sitting in the boat, tied up at the dock, tying on a twister tail jig and I drop it in the water to check the action on it and a decent smallie comes out from under the boat and gives it a sniff. Won't bite it so I throw in a worm on another rod. Same thing - the bass comes from under the boat, gives it a sniff and then saunters back under the boat. Then I reach for a senko type bait my buddy Darrel gave me for Christmas. The bass immediately hit it with enthusiasm - like it really wanted it.

Later that same day I head out to my spots with my usual arsenal but no bites. I can see the largies but they just shy away from the baits. SO, try the senko thing again and bingo, the fish rush at it from twenty feet away like it was free money or something.
This was all texas rigged weightless.

I am concerned on how deep they take the hook though. I have never had to cut off a hook and leave it in the basses mouth before but had to do so three times that day. My buddy Darrel says to go to a different type of hook than a standard offset worm hook to minimize that but haven't tried that yet.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

I am concerned on how deep they take the hook though. I have never had to cut off a hook and leave it in the basses mouth before but had to do so three times that day. My buddy Darrel says to go to a different type of hook than a standard offset worm hook to minimize that but haven't tried that yet.
Would a Circle Hook work for Senkos.....???? I've never fished with them but I know Circle Hooks are designed to hook fish in the mouth only.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I used to use a #2 "J hook" by owner for my Senko's, and then I went out with Gambler Steve and Trevor, and they showed me the Red Mosqito hooks from owner, much better hook.

For the deep hooking, when you throw out the senko, keep a fairly tight line, if you feel a tap-tap-tap, its a small fish, if you feel a thump, or a good twitch its prob a better fish and set the hook right away.

As Saskie said aswell the line moves set the hook, but try to keep a tight line to notice the thump or "Machine gun hit" which will be a smaller fish hitting it and running.

Bass have bigger mouths and will inhale these puppies right away, so a quick hookset will reduce the deep hooking.

F.F