Senkos - PLEASE enlighten me...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Misses Livewell
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Senkos - PLEASE enlighten me...

Post by Misses Livewell »

I have heard tell of the mythical "senko", when asked, all M.T. will say is "they ain't no white spinner bait"! :twisted:

Don't get me wrong, I have some, actually I have one bag - they're pink, cause they looked cool, I like pink, that's it.

I used one.... once..... that's it.

Oh, what happened? Well let's see, I believe it was Texas rigged, not sure cause I had no clue and had to ask M.T. to rig it for me.

I tossed it into some light vegitation and expected it to sink like a stone.. uh, no, it kind of hung there in the water. It didn't start to sink until M.T. had trolled past it - the guy NEVER stops moving the boat, drives me friggen NUTS!!!! :x - anyway, by that time, I had to reel it in (remember, I only fish the back of the boat - no trolling motor abilities - driving + Misses Livewell = need for new 'insert whatever was beingdriven here' :lol:) .
So as M.T. drives by, I reel it in and then cast it way to the front of the boat, this time it does sink, but now what???? I just let it sit there, then started to bring it in like a surface popper or a frog - you know - sorta tugging it and then letting it sit.

So that's my experience with "senko" type lures.

Can anybody provide a better explanation (pics help - remedial fishing)

much thanks
Misses Livewell
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Number one...pink is not the best color!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where you fish anyway
It is in some instances but not for you if ya want hits!
Also don't texas rig for now..Wacky is the way to go..
Dana I think you and I have to get out!
I"ll show you there is more than a white spinner bait...LOL
You can't fish them with Bill because he won't stop...they sink slow but that is the beauty of them...that is what they cannot resist. :shock:
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

hey misses livewell!

good question!i would love a post on how and what to use in sencos and other plastics.as i 2 have no clue what a texas rig or wacky is :oops: :oops: but would love to learn them all i am one of those that does not believe in plastics...but then again i never really learned on how to use them!so for all of us beginners in soft baits a nice post with pics on rigging them would be a great poat to us!
:D :D

zort!
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

re

Post by BBRich »

Yeah I was out today with one, texas rigged - okay first I'll say it was a senko rip-off made by Phantom baits, but anyways, I got about 15 bass on it. I texas rig it without a weight, cast it to my spot (usually the edges of slop) and just let it sit! That's the most productive way I have found to work it. But like Bacon said, wacky is awesome, if you get it right you can make it walk the dog too on the surface. Oh man, they are such a cool bait. I can't believe I didn't use them last year!
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Wacky..just put the hook through the middle of the senko and let it hang on each side...I have no pics..

Ok..BELIEVE IN PLASTICS...your production will increase greatly!!

I mean greatly!!!
Tubes, Senko's, Lizards, frogs.....man you have to have them in your box!!!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Misses Livewell,

Firstly, I almost peed when I read your description of M.T.'s constant need for perpetual motion with the trolling motor...OMG, that is how Brian is, too, and I want to clobber him some times. Ya just can't fish a light bait like that while the boat is spinning around and cruising about! Too funny!

Secondly, here are a few pics / descriptions (link) of some Senko-type rigging methods. Hope I copied it over OK...

I'm also a greenhorn, but want to play around with these baits a little more.

http://www.insideline.net/articles/rigging-guide.html

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

zort10 wrote:hey misses livewell!

... but would love to learn them all i am one of those that does not believe in plastics...
zort!
zort...

Repeat after me:

believe in plastics, believe in plastics!!!!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

One more thing..
Once you throw them in the water..your done...don't do anything leave them there..
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

and just to confuse you some i also fish weghtless texas rigged, waqcky has never worked for me for some reason, but i also don't fish it like everyone else. I like to cast, wait 10seconds and then twtch/jerk it a bit, then let it sit again for 10 seconds.

I love senko's so much that i use them 90% of the time and use a sweet beaver 5% of the time and then whatever the rest of the time lol.... unlike another poster i don't believe in crankbaits unless i'm walleye fishing :oops:

Oha nd i use bubblegum (pink) most of the time, works for me in crystal clear water and muddy water- can't go wrong with pink :lol: :lol:

I actually love them so much i put out $200. U.S. so i can pour my own and make comours i can't buy :lol: :lol: .... little bit addicted to them lol
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Pink (or bubble gum) would not be my first pick either but it is known to produce good sometimes especially in the smaller 4" size. Hey! Sheppards pie of all colors has been hot for me this year so ..... pick your color. My absolute favorite for the second year and I know it is the favorite of other members here is laminate baby bass (green on top and cream on bottom). White (no not a spinnerbait) can also produce well in some body of water.

Here's a picture of a wacky rig Image

I like to insert my hook sideways in the bait as opposed to right through like the picture. The reason is because when using two tone bait, the senko does not spin around the hook. Therefore, cream is at bottom and green is on top every time. Might make no freaking difference, but it is a confidence thing for me.

You are right, they take for ever to sink it seems. It allows the bait to make that unique senko wiggle in the "zone" longer. Pay attention to your line. You will become a line watcher. Just where your line enters the water, there is a ripple. Stare at it. Any suddent change of angle, direction, movement....anything at that precise point, feel for weight. If any, set the hook hard. I have sight fished many many bass, spotted them, tosseed senko ahead of them, seen them take the bait, turn and sit there a bit. Meanwhile, I felt nothing on the line and the rod tip did not move at all (and I use good gear with sensitive braided line). WATCH THE LINE AT THE POINT OF ENTRY.

Don't cast it far. You want a vertical presentation plus if you cast too far, you cannot watch your line at the point of entry.

Here is a decent article on them (the pic came from there)http://www.nybass.com/robj/nybsenkorig.htm
Last edited by Rescue78 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDF
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CDF »

I too was a little leary...until I saw them in action, and then actually caught fish doing nothing (matter of fact, I rigged on wacky style, casted it out, put the rod down, went for a leak, picked up the rod...and there was a fish on :shock: )

Best to fish senkos on calm days...also boat gotta be somewhat stable (ie: not moving or drifting around too much).

You need to see the line move while your just standing there.

Kind of hard if water is choppy.

Best of luck
Cman
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Cman wrote:You need to see the line move while your just standing there.
Kind of hard if water is choppy.
If you watch the line at the point of entry, you'll make the difference between line movement due to the chop and post-bite line movement.

One down side to the bass liking the senkos so much is that if you detect the bite late, it can be a pretty unfriendly C&R bait. If you're slow detecting the bite, they have it in their stomack by the time you set the hook :oops:
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

scuro>doubting Thomas

I'm sure I'll be up north and trying everything some hot summer afternoon next week...and that pink package of senkos that the guy at fishing store said I had to buy will be in within eyesight. Wacky rig...Wacky rig.........wacky.

You know when spinnerbaits came out, I thought that this is stupidest lure there ever was. I'll go wacky, I'm sure of it.
...anything to bend the rod
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I do hear the pink are real hot down in the States...but haven't heard up here..well just earlier in the thread.
They haven't produced for me but I haven't given them much chance..
I like Sweet Potato Pie..not the pie( that is actually gross) the color!
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Canadian Bacon wrote: I like Sweet Potato Pie..not the pie( that is actually gross) the color!
That's the one :!: I called it sheppards pie earlier :oops: