UNBELIEVABLE FISHING ON THE MOOSE TODAY!!! (pics) Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

UNBELIEVABLE FISHING ON THE MOOSE TODAY!!! (pics) Report

Post by Moosebunk »

Woke up this morning to the perfect skies. A beauty mist on the river and calmer than a snail on Prozac I launched the boat down at the... well.... the launch and headed up river.

Wasn't long before I spotted some belugas and seals playing water volleyball with a dead sucker. No time to stop and serve, bump, volley and spike I kept my 15 Johnson wide open and enjoyed the power of that breeze in my face.

Got up to the mouth of the French and the walleye were a juuuuuummmping in fine fashion. I tied up a snap swivel like I always do and just threw out a bare 9/0 treble hook. Nothing on it at all, it was one of those mornings I knew the fish didn't want bait they just wanted cold hard sharpened bronze.

About 3 seconds into the first cast and retreive. BANG. Fish ON!!! THIS ONE'S A LUNKER I thought, do not pass go and do not collect $200 dollars, just park your butt on the bottom of yer freighter canoe, brace yourself and let your 8lb super limp stretch this Walter's neck.

And so it goes and goes for about 3 1/2 hours, tussle here, head shake there, tug tug tug tug tug, ziiiiiiinnnnnng goes the reel, pick up the slack, pump it pump it pump it. It was pure fishing at it's finest, and when it was over I reached down into the drink, grabbed this walter by his dink and threw him in like I was sending one home from way out there in center field.

Here he is take a gander lads and lasses.

I snapped just 2 pics of this 48.5 incher walleye, I normally do 'bout 15 to 18 inches better, but this one was a good fighter so I gave it some props and a word to yer mother. Then I packed up and went home and sold it to the highest bidder at the dock.

After lunch figured I'd head over to the wheres I keep my weed.... ahem, cough, where the weed bed is, I meant to say, at the other end of the island.

Took along the ultralight and my favorite lure a Mepp#2 figuring I'd cast for some suntanning pike. Well sure as sh!t it was just first cast, actually, not even first cast, it was on the wind up of the backcast that I feel a huge TUG and a THUMP ZINGY.

Reel goes a screeeeeeeammmmmming. All my line out and right to the granny knots end, well I tell ya it's a good thing granny showed me the granny knot cause it stopped this pike dead in it's tracks. Thank God for the 10lb test Power Pro too. Well, there was just no fight in this pike after it's whiplash. I think it might have compressed it's C3 through C22 truthfully, or else just completely severed a few vertebra. Anyways, the big gurl was done, and I just powered it through the weeds back to the beach.

And here is the twisted sister herself, the FAT 66" pike off the back of the island I call home. Fishing's wicked awesome up here guys.

Enough pike fishin' I headed home for a 6 pack, some sex with Bren and a nap.

After supper, a feed of canned tuna and mac and cheese, I headed over in the taxi boat to Moosonee to try the cricks fer some specks. Now I know what youz are thinking... hadn't the Bunk had enough??? HELL NO! I wanted the Grand Slam today and I was by-geez gonna have it.

So I hit the crick is what I did and hit it hard. It was a 96km hike uphill bothways to my secret spot but was there no way my 2 sprained ankles were gonna stop me from getting there. Made it up in about..... ohhh.... pretty good time..... 16 maybe 17 minutes.

I stepped to streamside. Looked both ways before wading the pool just in case of any oncoming snapper turtles, and low and behold guess what I see??? WELL GUESS DAMN IT! I'd never seen a searun speckle of such grandeur before, but sheeeet it saw me too. "HEY YOU SPECKLEDEDED TROOT!!!" I yelled across, and down and over and back up the pool again. "YEAH YOU" I bellowed again. "LISTEN YOU FINE SPECIMEN OF FINE SPECIMENS, YOU GOT NOWWHERES TO GO WITH THE LOW WATERS IN THE CRICK THIS SEASON SO I'M GONNA THROW YA THIS HERE PINK BUCKTAIL AND YER GONNA PUT IT IN YER KIPE, SHAKE YER HEAD, JUMP IN AND OUT OF THESE HERE DIRTY CRICK WATERS, THEN GET YER butt UP HERE TO THE TIP OF MY ROD WHEN I TELL YA!" Sure as sh!t the fish did what is what told. No speck knows better than to risk a foul hook from my left bicep.

Well, I know you wanna see it so here it is. Better enjoy it everybody and don't question it's size either when I tell ya it was just a single kiwi hair under 30 inches.

So it almost went for the day.

Walking home I sprained my frickin knee when I twisted my already twisted ankle in a marten hole. I'm lying on the ground in agony when a little woodland nymph comes kisses me on the cheek and says I'm it's hero. Well shucks, I thought that was so sweet I stuck around to talk about monster trucks and corn on the cob awhile. BUT, it was all a trap. The nymph was a diversion and while we talked all intelectual and stuff the nymphs half brother nymph swiped my digi camera from my knapsack.

When I got home and found the camera mizzissing I swore up and down the place awhile and cried that no one at the Fish-Hawk would believe my day. Then it came to me. I remembered what those fish looked like... I mean heck... I gotta a photographicers memory card in my head, so, you know what I did.... well you already saw.... I gone and done drawed youz all the pictures just like I would have taken them on my digi.

Isn't that an awesome day. :D
Last edited by Moosebunk on Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

Looks like you had a great day out there Moose, good to hear you had a good time! :lol: Hahahaha :lol:
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Don't laugh at me Mike!!! :x :x :x
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Yee have a talent mee boy!

I don't know what made me laugh harder...the story or the drawings. Loved it...took it all in like a sucker working on a dead eel.

Keep em coming.
...anything to bend the rod
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:lol: Not sure if you got fishing or were having a nice daydream in the northern sun!!! :lol:
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Salmon just what are implying??? That I was dreaming this day???

I tell yaz all guys I was like Angelo Chronzizumi starring in "A River Runs Through Sh!t" today.

And Chris, I know I've got "talent" (nice spelling knob) comes off the towel every time and gets into my belly button for the day. So what's it to ya, you don't gots towel-lint too.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b ... nt&x=0&y=0

Main Entry: tal·ent
Pronunciation: 'ta-l&nt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English talente, from Latin talenta, plural of talentum unit of weight or money, from Greek talanton pan of a scale, weight; akin to Greek tlEnai to bear; in senses 2-5, from the parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30 -- more at TOLERATE
1 a : any of several ancient units of weight b : a unit of value equal to the value of a talent of gold or silver
2 archaic : a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person or animal
3 : the natural endowments of a person
4 a : a special often creative or artistic aptitude b : general intelligence or mental power : ABILITY
5 : a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity
synonym see GIFT

Might be time to cork that scotch.
...anything to bend the rod
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Totally stolen material dude! Not cool!!

Remember my "biggest trout ever" thread?? Come on!!
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jigs »

Can I have some of what yer smokin??
:shock:

Good one :!: :!: :mrgreen:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Thats one of the best reports I've ever read!! Absolutely outstandung!!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

nice pics. the resemblance is uncanny
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Hey Bunk it looks like the Polar Bear Express Came in with a special shipment this week.

Thank god it's not a dry or smoke-free town your living in. Or is it???
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

Good one Bunk.

I wasn't sure about your location in the second picture but I think it's pretty obvious to most by the background in the third picture where you were. :D
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

That was priceless :D
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Hahah beauty fish bunk :lol: :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle