Mono or Braid what's your preference?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Braid
63%
Mono
38%

Total votes: 16

SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Vote and then add your comments.

I now use braid for most of my fishing. There are advantages and disadvangages to both materials but i find the advantages of braid outweight the disadvantages.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

I use Fireline for just about everything except walleye fishing (mono). I don't think Fireline is a braid though, is it?
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I tried fireline once and didn't like it. I find it frays and loses it's colour but this probably doesn't effect it's overall strength.

I'm using Berkely whiplash right now and also powerpro for lower breaking strains.

Even mono isn't mon anymore with Berkely ironsilk and the like..reinforced polymer fishing line. I like braid though for it's abrashion resistance and no stretch when fishing at distance.

To answer your question fireline isn't a braid .. Here is the quote from the Berkely site :

Fire Line Facts: FireLine is a thermal filament fishing line, NOT a mono and NOT a braid. It is made from MICRO Dyneema, the world's strongest fiber. It a lot of small fibers bonded together to deliver the best HIGH PERFORMANCE LINE ever developed!
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

John wrote:I tried fireline once and didn't like it. I find it frays and loses it's colour but this probably doesn't effect it's overall strength.

I'm using Berkely whiplash right now and also powerpro for lower breaking strains.

Even mono isn't mon anymore with Berkely ironsilk and the like..reinforced polymer fishing line. I like braid though for it's abrashion resistance and no stretch when fishing at distance.

To answer your question fireline isn't a braid .. Here is the quote from the Berkely site :

Fire Line Facts: FireLine is a thermal filament fishing line, NOT a mono and NOT a braid. It is made from MICRO Dyneema, the world's strongest fiber. It a lot of small fibers bonded together to deliver the best HIGH PERFORMANCE LINE ever developed!
Well ya know Bobber and I were saying that it looked like a bunch of small fiber, no doubt thermal filaments, and that it had to be Mic :shock: ro Dyneema. Of course!
Fishhawk
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Too complex a question for a which do you prefer answer. I still prefer mono on fast moving baits such as spinnerbaits and cranks, and at the other end of the spectrum, senkos hooked wacy style, or any other bait that I might deadstick. I prefer braid on my tubes and flapping shads and sluggos and flipping for better hooksets and more strength getting fish turned and out of the weeds. There is also a new fused line available that I will have in the store in February called Fins. It is similar to fireline in action without the fraying problems. I tried it out this fall and was very impressed.

Just my humble opinion
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

I don't think the fraying is exactly a problem. I can get 2 years out of a spool of Fireline, then turn it around and get another year or more out of it. I think it outperforms mono in almost every way, and considering how long it lasts, it's much cheaper to use. I still have mono on a couple of reels, but I use Fireline 90% of the time.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

You turn your Fireline around? Brilliant idea! On all my reels I pre-fill with inexpensive mono like Red Wolf or Shakespeare. If I have a hundred yard spool of Fireline I will fill the rest of my spool with 50 yards.

About turning the line around - do you get any kind of a sense of weakness on the turned around line? Eventhough it may not see the water, it does remain wet the entire time you are fishing and I believe the water can have a bad effect on the strength as well. I'm gonna give it a try though - some reels are due for a change up this spring.

I think we need a thread for "cheap poo poo tips".
Fishhawk
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Hey fish hawk most muskie guys out there turn their super braded lines around. You get two years worth from your expensive line.

I use to do it all the time but now I use my reels so much I change line twice a year. :wink:
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Mono or Braid what's your preference?

Post by Bobber »

John wrote:Vote and then add your comments.

I now use braid for most of my fishing. There are advantages and disadvangages to both materials but i find the advantages of braid outweight the disadvantages.
Hey John, what the hell kind of fish is in your avatar. Is that one of those Japanese fish that have invaded North America? :shock:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I doubt you'll ever catch one in this country. :D

That is a Wells Catfish that i caught during a 2 week trip to France in September 1996. It weighed in at 59lbs and was 6ft long. I had a second cat at 58lbs earlier in the week but i didn't get a very good photo since i caught it early in the morning. Amazing creatures and that fish wasn't the biggest in the lake.

Here's a better look:

Hawghunter1
Participant
Participant

Post by Hawghunter1 »

My vote go's to Power Pro braided line.
Merry Christmas and a great new year of rod busting fishing to all from the Maryland Hawghunter1.[/b]
labs
Participant
Participant

Post by labs »

I switched all my reels to fireline last season. Execpt 1, I put on brand new repala 10 lb tough mono. During a 2 day bass tourny @ Buckhorn in Sept.I never lost a fish with fireline. On the second day about an hour before we were to finish I switched to the mono ,lost a very very nice one beside the boat when the mono broke off. (that finished me with mono)

tight lines.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

John

Post by jazman »

John...no one else has said it...

That (so called) fish is the nastiest thing I have ever seen.

Jazman
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Braids vs mono

Post by Manny »

My opinion,
braids sometimes
mono the rest of the time

Muskies, braid
Jigging walleye, tiny fireline
the rest mono.

Happy new years to all.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

[quote="John"]I doubt you'll ever catch one in this country. :D

That is a Wells Catfish that i caught during a 2 week trip to France in September 1996. It weighed in at 59lbs and was 6ft long. I had a second cat at 58lbs earlier in the week but i didn't get a very good photo since i caught it early in the morning. Amazing creatures and that fish wasn't the biggest in the lake.

Here's a better look:

Thanks John, I've never seen anything like that before. Would you mind if I add it to the Fish-Hawk.Net photo gallery? What did you catch it on?