Mono or Braid what's your preference?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Mono or Braid what's your preference?

Braid
63%
Mono
38%

Total votes: 16

SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Sure Bobber no problem.

I think i had it on squid. The lake was near Authon-Du-Perche east of Le Mans.

Havn't had the computer on for the last two weeks so here is a late reply.
Rusty Bluck
Participant
Participant

I hate braded line!!!

Post by Rusty Bluck »

Think about this..non of the pro bass fisherman use brade!!!!!
When I first started fishing I loved Fierline. The main reason was because it inproved my hook set. I had old junk rods and didnt have any idea of how to feel a bite or how to set the hook. Now that Ive spent tons of time on the water I only use mono. I have two st croix and two all stars and I fish Bass Pro shop excell. I fish with this guy who is a pro fisherman and he told me to try the line excell. He said that it was the best line he had ever used. I tried it and have been using it sence. Its cheap and super strong. I do change line all the time ,just about every tournmate. I fish in Ohio and the water is muddy.
I use 20lb blue line on my flipping stick (7ft med/heavy st croix). 14lb blue on my worm rod(6.6 titanium Allstar med/heavy) 8lb on my spinning rod(6.6 all star med action rod) 12lb on my crankbait rod a fiberglass st croix med action 7ft.
I only fish for bass. If I was a musky fisherman or trolled allot I might see where superline /braid might be handy. but I will stick with my trusty mono
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Written Word

Post by Joisey Joe »

There is a very informative article in the February issue of Field and Stream just on this subject. The In-Fisherman mag also has an article on the pros and cons. BigJoe.
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Mono Vs Braid Debate

Post by Lucannus »

I have tried most and always come back to my braid.

1.More expensive
2.Harder to use ( better knots & such)
3. Alot less memory in the line vs Mono

but

1. Next to no line breaks or snaps
2. Abbrassion and weakness is easier to see and get rid of
3. Can rip it through the weeds and foliage

I used mon and found it was nice and sensitive but would get line snaps and lose fish. Now I lose a little sensitivity but my line holds no matter what. And when the BASS are hammering your lure the sensitivity goes out the window, you just pray the line holds.

I also found that with my 6 lb mono that the odd Pike would just chew through the line, where with the braid I could actual get them in the boat. Cut a foot of the line and get back out there.

I also did the Fireline thing but foudn it frayed and lost its colour quickly ( black ) and had shiny undercoat to the line. I also didn't like the memory it kept in the line.

My two cents
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Leader

Post by Joisey Joe »

Luc, you mean you don't use a leader with braid? I've lost a few Husky Jerks because I just tied it to the mono. I would prefer not to use a leader, what kind of knots do you tie with braid? BigJoe.
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Leader

Post by Lucannus »

BigJoe2 wrote:Luc, you mean you don't use a leader with braid? I've lost a few Husky Jerks because I just tied it to the mono. I would prefer not to use a leader, what kind of knots do you tie with braid? BigJoe.
If I am targeting BASS I don't. I find it takes all the quality's of the line out with a wire leader. I usual run 6lb Test or 10 Lbs test with a 6 lb diameter.

If I was targeting Pike or Musky (Which I don't do too often) I would definatly use a leader.

Even so I have found my Braid to be able to resist the pike's million teeth 75% of the time.

As for the knot, I have never been able to find out its name, it was taught to me. I will try to describe it.

Line through the hook eye twice to make a loop or two if you are nervous.

Twist line around itself 5 - 7 times and then back down through the loop.

Wet fingers and moisten the line.

Pull line taught and the twisted line will noose aroung hook eye, just before it.

Now the line has to unravel the bit before it get's to come out the loop. Has never happened so I guess it works

If you know the name I would appreciate finding out what it is!
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

knots

Post by spinner »

Lucannus.
I believe the knot you are referring to is the trilene knot.

Bigjoe.
I find that most people that I know as well as myself are using the palomar knot for braid as it will not slip or loosen like many other knots on braided lines.
Leaders-only when fishing for those toothy critters(pike/musky).
rockit
Participant
Participant

Post by rockit »

Mostly, I use braids (currently - Japanese-made Maxillon, used to try Prapala and Fireline but not much liked them) But in some cases prefer mono: when I'm about to fish perch or chub that usually ain't that big and there is no need to explore the floor. Why mono? After using braids for a long time, it's just a pleasure to cast mono, at least for a while :)
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Thanks

Post by Joisey Joe »

Thanks for all the info guys, I only target the big toothy critters, I only use a leader with certain lures. Like I said I've lost a few Husky Jerks to some stubborn Pike, but that's about it. My buds think I'm nuts but I usually don't use a leader. If the lure is a heavy one i.e. big Mepps or Daredelves, I'll saddle up, otherwise no. With the Jerks it screws up the action of the lure, once I went without I started to get em. I've never used braided line, any pointers on which is the best? BigJoe.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Thanks

Post by spinner »

BigJoe2 wrote:Thanks for all the info guys, I only target the big toothy critters, I only use a leader with certain lures. Like I said I've lost a few Husky Jerks to some stubborn Pike, but that's about it. My buds think I'm nuts but I usually don't use a leader. If the lure is a heavy one i.e. big Mepps or Daredelves, I'll saddle up, otherwise no. With the Jerks it screws up the action of the lure, once I went without I started to get em. I've never used braided line, any pointers on which is the best? BigJoe.
The predominant braid used around here is Power Pro.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Special Monos

Post by Joisey Joe »

Spinner, have you ever used Ironsilk or something called Vanish, at least I think that's what its called. It comes in green or blue and is supposed to be invisible to fish. Something about the way the light refracts the line, anyway that's all I know about it. I've always gone with Mono without much thought about line, the last two years I've lost a couple of big fish and had some trouble with nesting of the line after casting. The fish were lost because the line snapped. I'm wondering if braid will give me a better shot. What are your thoughts ? BIgJoe.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Special Monos

Post by spinner »

BigJoe2 wrote:Spinner, have you ever used Ironsilk or something called Vanish, at least I think that's what its called. It comes in green or blue and is supposed to be invisible to fish. Something about the way the light refracts the line, anyway that's all I know about it. I've always gone with Mono without much thought about line, the last two years I've lost a couple of big fish and had some trouble with nesting of the line after casting. The fish were lost because the line snapped. I'm wondering if braid will give me a better shot. What are your thoughts ? BIgJoe.
Bigjoe.
No,I have not used either ironsilk or vanish.I am mainly a mono (trilene xl)fisherman as I have felt that it is less visible to the fish than many other lines and have not encountered too many problems with it.Most pros fishing bass in the U.S. still appear to be using mono as well.I had also questioned the pricing of the superlines for it's benefit.I have used fireline on a couple of reels for a few years and have found it rather stiff but strong and longer lasting than mono.I particularly liked the fact that it was more resistant to backlash on baitcasters,especially into the wind or using lighter baits but would recommend something like power pro or fins for a spinning reel if you choose braid.Recently I tried powerpro a friend was using and it seems very smooth,alot like mono, and like all superlines has the advantage of being able to have a much greater strength for equal diameter to mono.For example,50# power pro is like 12# mono.From those using power pro,most feel it lasts much longer than mono and allows them the ability to use a much higher test for certain fishing situations like flipping or for large toothy critters without the large diameter.Me,I will probably try some power pro and some fins for flippin and musky and see how it goes.Flippin for its smoothness and strength and musky for its test as those musky lures at $20 plus warrant 50# test.I definitely do not expect to abandon using mono.
As for line breakage.As you fish mainly for the toothy critters,there are many possibilites for breakage but the most likely reason is that you are not using a leader in many cases.There are many other possiblities like not removing some line and retying regularly as an example.One thing a superline will allow is the use of 50# or greater test without a diameter problem and it may save you from losing the odd fish but today with the good drag on reels,you can use less test with reasonable success.
Nesting-Are you using spinning reels or baitcasters?It sounds like it may be spinning and if so I strongly suggest giving a baitcaster a try as in my opinion they are the best choice for the toothy critters or just about any fishing using over 10# test.
Just my opinion,hope it helps.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wow

Post by Joisey Joe »

Spin, that's the first novella I've received so far on this site! :lol: Thanks for your $50 worth! I had no idea so much thought went behind a choise of lines. I guess in todays market I should expect alot of choises. I think I'll stick with Mono and go for your recon, sounds like a good choise. The fish I lost were from the line snapping about 2 t0 3 feet from the fish. In one instance the hook I had on came with a fishing line leader, and that's what snapped! Probably too old. There's one huge Pike swimming around Gananoque Lake with my whole rig in it's gut! Thanks again, any Domi sized hits will snap the line, whatever you use! :twisted: BigJoe.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

rockit wrote:Mostly, I use braids (currently - Japanese-made Maxillon, used to try Prapala and Fireline but not much liked them) But in some cases prefer mono: when I'm about to fish perch or chub that usually ain't that big and there is no need to explore the floor. Why mono? After using braids for a long time, it's just a pleasure to cast mono, at least for a while :)
I'm a Fireline man for sure. I use different tests of Fireline for everything. And I experience less baitcasting backlash than I did with Berkley Big Game or whatever it is called.

There is something about an 8 lb or 6 lb mono that gives me more confidence when I am fishing walleye, and I have to say that it probably has something to do with the visibility.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
rockit
Participant
Participant

To Fishhawk

Post by rockit »

I wasn't about to say that Fireline is a bad braid... I think it's just a matter of taste: everyone among us has very private, own experience. It's no wonder, I think, because all people are different. And it's great because, being all different, we can share our experience (that differs) to other :)