Pink Salmon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Pink Salmon

Post by SALMON »

:D Well after the rumble I got to fish Muskie with Saskie and Saskette on the Sunday and we had some success. I left early on Monday morning and heading for Blind River to check the North shore tributaries for pink salmon. The closer I got the darker the sky got. Oh by the way its only 6 hrs from Ottawa to Blind River..no one seems to use 17 between Ottawa and Mattawa so no slow downs. When I arrived I found fish right away and caught 10 in the first hour. Then the skies opened up and the winds blew so it was off to supper and a nice dry motel room. It rained about half the night and finally started to settle down. When I got up in the morning I headed out with my waders right at the motel I was staying at. My usual pink spot seemed a little slow. I soon found out why when this 32" pike took my little cleo.

It had stirred the fish up good so I moved to a new location and found lots in the riffles. About 9am this morning I moved back to my earlier location at the base of a rapids near blind river. Its about 1 mile inland from the North Channel. The rain that had plauged me the day before was gone...while it made me have an early day monday..it had rung the lets get running bell for the pinks. Thousands of pinks rolled in the river. It took 20 mins. to land the 5 that I put in the cooler. Over a two hour period I landed 32 and lost many others. The run looks late this year. The females were still dark green from the lake and the males had a lighter tone. Caught fish till my arms were sore and then headed for home. Still 3 days left this week..must be fish somewhere. :wink:

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I've been waiting for this report! I was wondering how you made out with the humpbacks. :P

How long do you think the run will last?
Lucky4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lucky4 »

Hey Salmon,

Good stuff and beautiful pinks, I mean pics...

Is this river flowing into lake Superior?

It might be a nice new destination to try next year.

Lucky4
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

:mrgreen: Salmon that is one fish that I havent caught and asking very nicely to give me a direction on where you found them.

Hope the next couple days off prove more fruitfull I mean fishful.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Killer good, Salmon!:D

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D With thousands of new fish just in they have 20 km of river to move up and play in. I would imagine its the same in all the north channel streams. Two fly fisherman were up at the Sault locks and said there were hardly any in yet. So there will be pinks for a few weeks yet. The spot in the photo is about 3 kms west of Blind River. You can see the rapids on the left as you head up 17. Other spots are in Iron Bridge, the red rock hydro dam. The Thessalon river and the little rapids creek..all full of pinks the last few weeks of September.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

What an awesome report Simon.... way to go. Those Pinks are definately an over looked fish. I smell a road trip... 8)

How do the pinks taste, compared with the other Salmon species...????
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Simon;

Your killing me... :wink: Too much work and not enough fishing is making jammer a dull boy again.. Way to put the miles on and some nice fish to show for it... We'll have to hook up soon... I have 2 weeks off for Xmas :P
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Pink Salmon

Post by saskie »

SALMON wrote:: When I arrived I found fish right away and caught 10 in the first hour. . Caught fish till my arms were sore and then headed for home. Still 3 days left this week..must be fish somewhere. :wink:

Now THAT's fishing :D Awesome!
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great report Salmon!

I do smell a roadie!

RJ
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Wild report Salmon :!:

Someone say road trip...when :?: :D
Ladyfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Ladyfish »

:D Now that is one awesome road trip! :D

Congrats on the haul :D
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D

Looks like a fun and rewarding tour, .... :D

They are rather odd looking, ...aren't they?, :? ....sort of, .... upsidedown pregnant, :roll: .....kind of.... :lol:

Well done..... :wink:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Its been quite a while since I've been in that neck of the woods! You've just given me a good reason to go back! Nice pic! :D :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Fantastic Simon. When I saw you Sunday I should have just cleared the monday and tuesday schedule and gone with ya. :wink: :lol: