Meat/Sport/Trophy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you fish for meat/sport/trophies

Poll ended at Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:13 am

Meat
16%
Sport
74%
Trophy
10%

Total votes: 31

Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Meat/Sport/Trophy

Post by Markus »

Everyone fishes for many reasons and sometimes for all the reasons listed above. But which is your primary reason for fishing?
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I am in for sport. However, I have been know to eat a few walleyes.

You should have seen last year when there was a small armada of boats stacked around the Nation on the Ottawa. I pulled out an 18" walleye that was nice and chubby that would have been a great eater. 50 jaws dropped as they watched me put her back in the water.

M.T. Livewell
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

I have to say I'm also mainly for the sport but I also love a snack ounce in a while.Deffinatly cannot claim to be a pure catch and release guy :twisted: :twisted:
topwater(mike)
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re..

Post by BBRich »

Well if bass is out of season I fish primarily for meat (obviously not bass meat), but the majority of the time I fish it is definitely sport.
Last edited by BBRich on Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Sport with the exception of some salmon and trout that my dad likes for the smoker. And Jonathan likes to eat a few of his perch after ice fishing. 8)
Muddy Tires
Participant
Participant

Post by Muddy Tires »

If it's a keeper I eat it.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Sport mostly, it is a rare occation I'll keep and eat a catch. It's usually catch and release with a pic in between for bragging rights amoung competitors!
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

I fish for a couple of reasons, first off it's my business, promoting various fishing items and tourist regions. Secondly it's a job I love and I enjoy sharing what I have discovered over the last forty years with other fishermen.

On occasion I'll keep fish for the table, love to eat them tasty walleye fillets. Trophy's are meant for picture taking and shared memories with my guests or fishing partners.

My whole existance revolves around fishing and I'm still learning which is the neatest deal of all.
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

More to fishing than sport, meat, or trophy.

Post by plowjock »

I fish for the sport of it. I enjoy having a feed of crappie or walleye or pikebut nothing which is going to ruin the fish population. I also get out to just relax and watch Nature around me, like watching a young Doe and her fawn come down to the waters edge for a drink or watching the otters play on shore or listening for the call of wild turkeys.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Mainly a meat fihermen ,I never catch any trophy size fish but if and when I do they will go back in the water after lots of pictures, the fish I like to keep are those 16" walleye's big 12" crappie and blue gills, large sunfish (in the spring only) I keep all salmon and lakers and steel head that are legal,Now after saying all that I never catch a limit ,so usally its one or two fish every saturday sorry I can catch a limit of crappie in the spring and I have kept the limit twice (30 fish) and thats a lot of cleaning :lol:

Big-O(Phil)<!!!!!><
lungelarry
Participant
Participant

Post by lungelarry »

I fish because I have to,its an obsession.If I'm fishing and its very windy and cold and raining Isay to myself ,what am I doing here,but then next week its the same weather and I stay home and I go crazy because I'm not fishing....
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

I fish for sport but I'm always trying to get a trophy, not to keep; just take a picture and put it back. Because walleyes are so good no offense on keeping a meal for my little family.
Nutka_Tyee
Participant
Participant

Post by Nutka_Tyee »

Mostly sport. Take the occassional salmon for the table.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

For sport what else?

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I fish for sport, just love to catch those honkers.....But be forewarned...If I catch a 15 pounder...I'm keeping it for my wall. :shock: I've already thrown back my personal best of 13lbs 8oz...

I get to eat enough of my tasty guys at the cottage so this is for fun... :wink:
Pink Lady
Participant
Participant

Post by Pink Lady »

I love to fish, but generally it's to put some yummy fillets in my freezer. Being from the east coast, I grew up with fish as a staple and I dread the day that I find myself buying fish at the supermarket!