I want to learn about making bucktails

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

ady wrote:I have been thinking of making my own muskie spinners for a while now, but I think I shall go with shop bought pre-dyed bucktails. I have also been thinking of using some sort of collar to put the bucktail on. If you have to cut a hook for a good release, I would like to be able to transfer the bucktail to a new hook and have the lure back in the water soonest. I have been meaning to look in Ottawa fastener to see if they have some sort of tubing that I could use - preferably metal (aluminum) which could conceivably add a "rattle" to the bait. Have you thought of this??
Ady,

With the exception of the spinner what you are describing are essencially tube flies. No reason why you can't tweek the concept for inline spinners as well. There's lots of online resources available on tying tube flies. Here's one to get you started.
http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/bctubeflies/
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Mr. J

There are also a number of synthetic materials typically used for saltwater flies (Fly Fur, Marabou Hair, Super Hair, etc) that can be substituted for bucktail. The primary advantage is that they provide greater volume with less material compared to bucktail.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

[quote=Ady,

With the exception of the spinner what you are describing are essencially tube flies. No reason why you can't tweek the concept for inline spinners as well. There's lots of online resources available on tying tube flies. Here's one to get you started.
http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/bctubeflies/[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking of, now to find some tubes that will fit over a muskie sized trebble!!!!!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Ady,

How about constructing it as a tube over the inline wire of the spinner, and just having the wire connect to the hook. This way you could in theory get away with the tubes that are available for tube flies.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Todd B. wrote:Ady,

How about constructing it as a tube over the inline wire of the spinner, and just having the wire connect to the hook. This way you could in theory get away with the tubes that are available for tube flies.
That is a good thought, I shall have a think - Sorry Mr J for hijacking your thread.....
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

My neighbour is a guide for hunters on a private estate in Quebec and is expecting to bring me 6 bucktails next week.

I have found sufficient enough info on the web to get me started tying them but can't find anything good on curing and prepping and dying them either.

Does anyone know of a good place to point me to get started on curing and dying them?

Thanks in advance.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Mr. J.,

I'm just randomly "pasting" different things I found on some discussion boards on the 'net about curing and coloring bucktails. But I've seen more than a few guys point out that it's just not worth it (to do it yourself, when you can get the bucktails relatively cheap). Apparently, there's a bit of effort involved, and often a "stink" or even maggot infestation problem if it's not done right. :shock: You're brave. :lol: Hope these tidbits help, though...

W.

1. "I use an equal mixture of borax and salt for the original cure. Depending on the time of year, humidity etc. it usually takes 4 or 5 days to dry. Bill's right in that they still smell something aweful. After doing over 500 tails I still can't get used to the smell before degreasing. After the cure I degrease them by using a simple procedure involving 3 different detergents. anyone can e-mail me if they want the formula. It's alot of soap but unless you want to go commercial grade don't skimp. I tried using less and It made a difference. I let them soak for 48 hours. If I was not interested in dyeing I wouldn't bother doing this. But if you are It's worth it. I have over 50 personal bucktails that are all dyed different shades of different colors. Some colors you can't find in a fly shop. I like having my choice of 6 different shades of yellow, olive or blue. For instance I've got a candyapple green and a color we call burnt olive that You'll probably never find anywhere else. Pastels are the hardest to find and you'll be surprised what you can trade pastel colored tails for at a club meeting if you do have extra. The last few years I've had 2 friends help me because I couldn't keep up with the demand. I used to do it for retail sale but now I just do it for friends and various members of clubs I'm in. One last thing, don't believe the hype about RIT dye. It works great on bucktails when done correctly. Those who have had little success with it either have either dyed incorrectly or are able to make a fly last for 6 months. I've never had a fly tyed with rit dyed materials bleed on me. I can't say that for alot of fly-shop bought flies."

2. "I throw a ton of Borax on the flesh and let them sit for a week. I wash them off with detergant, rinse them, and comb them out. Let them dry for a day or 2 and they are ready to be dyed or used.
Unfortunately, they still smell pretty bad."

3. "most commercial operations use acid dyes. They're activated using some type of mild acid, like acetic acid (vinegar). For your own purpose Rit dyes will also work, and are inexpensive. Depending on what colors you're looking for Rit works just fine. Some colors, like black are more difficult to dye and require more time in the dye & sometimes more dye depending of how many tails you try to dye at one time. Even dyeing with Rit it's best to use a little white vinegar in the dye as it helps set the color."

4. "I would suggest rit dye with 1/4 cup of vinegar per dye pack as well. If you want your tails to have brighter colors strip them with a mild bleach and water solution before dying them. Also use the cold dye method to set the colors instead of boiling the color into them unless you want deer tail soup."

Supposedly, in a discussion board, someone mentioned this article (link) as being very informative. I didn't check this one out yet, though:
www.bassdozer.com/articles/bucktail.shtml

Well, Mr. J., it's just a little bit here & there, but some times you just gotta experiment!!! GOOD LUCK!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Wolfe

Wow thanks so much for the article, I can't wait until I have the time to read it, just chacking in this morning before heading out for toothy critters.

I bought a bucktail yesterday, cost $4.50 + tax, made 3 spinners and hardly used any noticeable amount of hair from the bucktail so I too am leaning towards just buying them already dyed.

But I will follow the article for one and see for myself first hand and there is also a chance I will use the natural colors from the bucktail too.

Thanks again and for your input and effort I will send you a spinnerbait this spring when I do my next batch. :)
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Mr. J.

You are very welcome!

And I certainly won't turn down a lure handmade by our own Mr. J. :wink: But please don't feel obligated; I was happy to help, but I don't know if the info will be a good resource or not.

Good luck on the "experiment". It'll be a learning process, if nothing else, and perhaps you'll find some new and whacky colors to try out!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.