Flipping Reel - What do you use?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Flipping Reel - What do you use?

Post by Snag »

Getting some Christmas ideas and I'm just wondering what reels you use for flipping 'n pitching.

I have a Quantum Ex501 which comes with a flippin' switch, but its not as light as some other flippin' reels... and I prefer it for froggin' and spinnerbaits.

I tried a Castaic this year (well pretty much stole it from SpenceScout everytime I fished with him :lol:) and I love it, but I want to hear what everyone else uses too.

fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fish_man_dude »

quantum accurist pt...gotta love it.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

fish_man_dude wrote:quantum accurist pt...gotta love it.
Ditto, I have 4 of them and they work great!
Well and truly hooked!
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

got this reel for a little over 210 dollars.

Shimano Curado SF 201 - Sweet Reel.

The super free function is unreal.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Take a look at Tica reels! They are the quality of the higher end Shimanos for the price of the lower end ones. Don't get me wrong, Accurist PT or Curados are great reels, but you can do better for the same money.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Im im not mistaken Snag, you are a lefty right?

If you can wait, the new line of shimano reels are coming out, and most b4 Xmas.The Citica has benn re-vamped, and for the money is gonna be a tough reel to beat.

Also introducing the "Cruxix" Shimano has made a reel for say the 150 range that has a 6.1.1GR(I may be off on the GR), and also comes with the super free system, for under 200$ :shock:

Now the 201's in the new "Curado" wont be out till spring, though it has the "Infanate" spool system, an up graded super free system, also alot of people are a little weary with its 7.1.1 GR, but if you want a flippin reel to pick up line fast, well.... :lol:

All reels are being released with the oversized gearing for maximum power aswell, like the Calcutta TE, and TE DC have now.

I have used Castaic, Curado, and the Chronarch SF's and all are fantastic reels.If you want the Flippin switch though, go with the Castaic, and also they stopped making the Chronarch SF last year I think.

There are many other types out there, like some have said, the Accurist PT is a great reel aswell, I just have more faith in Shimano, and thats only a personal Pref :wink:

F.F
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

like just about everything in life, you get what you pay for...

:D
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

quantum accurist pt for me as well :D
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Not my best, or the best but i do like the quantum mantra. It is great for flippin.
Northamfishing Tackle
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

Thanks FF!! I think i'll wait til the new line of Shimano reels comes out... how exciting!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I currently flip with my shimano 2000 spinning reel. :lol: Just can't seem to develop a relationship with my accurist 500. :?
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

Currently I'm using a castaic SF and an old Team Daiwa Tournament TD-1HI.
The castaic is very good for the light stuff (1/8 or 1/4 oz). If you flip light baits choose a reel with a wiffle spool because of the lower inertia needed to cast those light baits.
One other thing: do you switch hands between casting and retreiving? If so a flipping switch is a must.
And last, how is the service for the brand your considering, shimano is at most a week delay usually over the counter :D , Daiwa and Quantum is let say 2 to 4 weeks :twisted: , so you might not use it for a good part of your fishing season :cry: ... when you usually need it most :evil: :evil: :evil: Happend to me 3 years ago, I bought the Castaic SF :D

LL
Corey Gaffney~BAssboy
Participant
Participant

Flipping Reels

Post by Corey Gaffney~BAssboy »

If your looking to do alot of flipping, you can't go wrong with the shimano Castiacs with the built in instagauge. I have 4 of these reels and wouldn't trade them for any reel out there, there great casting reels also. Because of the SF feature you can launch shallow cranks , burn spinnerbaits with the high gear ratio. For the price of these reels you can't go wrong. I hava 2 japnese models called the shimano scorpion Quickfires shipped to me from a contact over seas off ebay. This version is a lil lighter and a different colour. But one of the most important things you should look into is a nice rod with back bone, and if you plan on doing tournaments a light weight blank. I fish 4 avid series ST.Croix rods which i can't strees enough are probably the best rods i've ever used. I got 2 in 7'3 my dock rod and plunking. 7'10 froggin rod. 6'10 shallow crank rod. If your planning on doing alot of flipping the rod is probably one of the most important tools to constant hook-up ratio. Along with some heavy braid for the thick stuff. Anyway hope this helps if you got any more questions , don't be afraid to PM.

Corey Gaffney
Corey Gaffney~BAssboy
Participant
Participant

Chronarch SF

Post by Corey Gaffney~BAssboy »

I think they just changed the appearnce on this reel because there was alot of complaints about the reel getting so badly scuffed that it was all tearing off the metalic coating , so they redesigned it now it's chromish dark coloured with boat rash plates on top they made it alot heavier. I've talked to tournament fisherman who say the reel is still very nice but the weight has increased. But they still make'm. I was using Gambler Steve's the other day and still seemed like a very nice reel.

Corey Gaffney
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I have 3 Quantum Energy PT and I love them.