Anyone know forsure if an ATV floats?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Anyone know forsure if an ATV floats?

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Just wonderingif it is true that an ATV floats upside down? I dont plan on going on unsafe ice but you never know what can happen. :?
Crawler
Participant
Participant

ATV

Post by Crawler »

Mine floats...I crossed a small body of water 2 weeks ago and the front end came up....then I realized I was no longer touching the bottom....I jumped off and the ATV was floating...I pushed it to shore...

So YES...a Yamaha Kodiak floats...

Don't try this at home...had to repack the clutch...75$ an hour...ouch !
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

I don't own one, but a friend of mine does, and I've been led to believe that yes, they float, somewhat. If I was a guessing man, I'd have to say that the bigger the tires on the machine, the more likely they are to float....just a guess though. :?
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

They do float depending on what you have on them. Again I dont own one but a friend of mine does. We put his in a pond one winter (not intentionally) but his had a plow on it.......it didnt float to well.
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

600lb machine with 20lbs of total air in the tires.... you do the math... I've seen a few in the bottom of the lake...
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

They will sink. It may take a little while, but consider it an expensive anchor. :lol:
x-Toban
Participant
Participant

Post by x-Toban »

My honda 250 TRX w/ rear baloon tires floated well loaded up with 300 lbs of bear bait on the back rack. However, I did break through the ice once and the front end sunk down while the back end kept afloat!!! Fortunately I was able to jump off fast enough and got my buddy's Grizzly to tow me out. (After being in the water for 5 mins or so, he towed me to the nearest farm, we bought a couple of liters of oil, changed it and she STARTED!!!)
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

mixed reports

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Mixed reports HMMMM.... sounds like it may float since i have 26 x 12 tires on it, yet i think i will pack it with floatation just to be safer and stay off anything thinner than 6" of ice. Thanks for the help.
MMM
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

I can only offer up that I have proven that a golf cart will float.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I had a big red 3 wheeler a long time ago,,,,and it did float wen i was not on it,,,

after that went for a polaris 4 whealer,,,,i went in a creek,,,,,and had wather to the seat ,,,and was not floating,,,,i did not try farther,,,, :? ,,,

and little 185 kawasaki now,,,,those seems to float a bit,,,,

but hey dont count on a 4 whealer to save yor life,,,, :? ,,,,,and would not
and would not bet ,,,,,on all off them floating,,,,

bether be more carfull then sorry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :o

whatch for weak spot(curent,,,spring,,,,chanel),,,there is a lot off place where it could be dangerous on lake,,,,we had 2 lost life at the cottage in the past 5 year,,,,and you ear story all winter long,,,,,

i am one of those ho will go as sonnas we get 3 inch off ice,,,but usely have a life jacket close to me,,,,,a rope,,,,,and a pair off those claw,,in case....
went tru,,2 time and did not like the feeling,,,, :?

take care......and be safe......
we want to see good fishing story NOT bad news,,,,, :(

joco
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

Makes me wonder that if the tires are floating up then the seat is down where is the rider :?: :lol: My advice is unless your in a Argo or a Terra Jet you don't want to find out this answer.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Jazman, one morning at Petrie this winter I want to hear the golf cart story! :D
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Jazman... what's the story behind the golf cart :lol:

I can just imagine!
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

This is about 5 years ago. I was on my dad's friend's Honda 300, going mudding with his other friend's son James. We eventually hit a dirt logging road and as we went down an old logging road, it looked pretty solid at the bottom of the hill. After 3 days of sporadic rain, it wasn't. There was more water than mud and the ATV was sunk up to its seat before I knew what was happening.

In trying to get it out I got a nice crescent moon shaped burn on the inside of my right knee off of the tail pipe! I eventually had to walk back to the lodge covered in mud up to my neck. My buddy James was on the other ATV laughing his @$$ off at me (he wouldn't give me a ride). I get back to the lodge and get the winch and every other guy in the camp to help me get the ATV out. By the time I get back, only the handle bars were still visible.

From that experience I'd say an ATV doesn't float (though that wasn't pure water). And I'm still trying to get the dirt out of my pores. :lol: :lol: