Worst Lure Awards for 2005

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

MT - shame... a certain victory of ours came on a yum dinger this year!
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Its not so much of a dud, becaus eI loved using them for smallies and pike, but the quality of the hooks on the x-rap really bothered be, I lost my fair amount fo fish this year from the hooks, and the o rings breaking right off,,,,,

Once the hooks were changed, it was a great bait!

My most hated of all plastic baits, the tube let me down again this year... got a few fish on them, but not nearly as many as I should have!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

About 10 years ago I bought some Banjo Minnows off some southern drawled, impatient woman. Never caught a thing on Banjo.

Spinnerbaits have been sitting in my tacklebox for years and I've never thrown any.

CC Wallydivers didn't do squat this year, but grapplers and minnows did OK.

The bucks, plastics, spoons and in-lines were what I used 75% of the time out there.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

A local tackle shop owner was recently telling me that he is convinced the bass can feel bad vibes through the line and surrounding the water around the bait. He was in a boat with three other guys and they were slaying smallies - all using the zact same technique. He thinks his bad mood was the reason why he caught only five of the hundred or so bass they caught.

Which probably accounts for my poor results with the watermelon senkos - the fish feel the bad vibes of non-confidence.

But wait a second - there is a reason for the lack of confidence - they suck!

Vicious circle!
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
BrettM
Participant
Participant

Post by BrettM »

Moosebunk wrote:About 10 years ago I bought some Banjo Minnows off some southern drawled, impatient woman. Never caught a thing on Banjo.

Spinnerbaits have been sitting in my tacklebox for years and I've never thrown any.

CC Wallydivers didn't do squat this year, but grapplers and minnows did OK.

The bucks, plastics, spoons and in-lines were what I used 75% of the time out there.
The Banjo's actually were my favorite bait about 5 years ago. They would nail bass like crazy and get the occasional pike. The Banjo Frog was probably my favorite artificial frog I've fished with. Unfortunitly they are tough to find now.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Worst of the year were probably the Xraps for me. Never had much confidence when tossing them and that's probably half the battle right there.

On the flipside of the coin were Senko-type baits. It was my first season fishing them and they produced quite a few fish just as I was led to believe by a few bass boys here. The only lure in my arsenal I like better is a ScumFrog... now that's a dynamite bait!

bucket
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Save Money

Post by grumpy7790 »

For those X-Rap haters, save you money and try a Megabass ITO 110. These baits are sweet and expensive. They will produce.

Also check out the old standby Rogues, the floaters can be rigged to suspend head down with a little modifications :wink: .

Gotta luv jerkbaiting :D .

G
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

i havent cought anything on a jerkbait, they're in the box but have no confidence in them :? did very well with tube jigs, anything brown early in the season, then the bite switched to anything green(watermelon and pumkinseed) and smoke colour from about mid-season on. again just tube jigs. first time throwing them this year :D . but no confidence in crankbaits for bass. cant even catch a pike on a spinnerbait (yes white :? ) and ive tried. gonna try with senko type baits next year and give them and honest shot along with jig'npig's and topwater baits. alot of techniques to try out there since this is my first year back at fishing.

chris
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

GetTheNet!!! wrote: Also, has anyone had any success on Storm Swimbaits? InFisherman said they were the ticket for big summer pike, they just seem to be snag-magnets.
The storm mini pikes are 50% of the Mr.J. specials. I have 6 or 8 in my box right now and my only fear is that I don't have enough, seems the toothy crtiiters rip them appart but it is worth it.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Topwaters(excluding buzzbaits) for pike and bass was only marginal.
Flippin jigs - Nadda
Cranks - except one rattlin' craw pattern that did alright for smallies;
Tubes - I don't think I actually caught a fish on a tube all year;
Walleye - everything (it wasn't a banner walleye year for us, both our old-faithful spots shut down big time this year)

Senkos, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and creature type softbaits were the hot bass lures for me this year;

Spoons, spinnerbaits, in-line spinners and buzzbaits for pike
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

BrettM wrote:
Canadian Bacon wrote:X-rap...also my dud
Did anyone like the X-Rap?
Slushpuppy was slaying bass with an X-rap with us at White Lake - until she lost it on a snag. :evil:
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

CC Grappler shad..............Did well with numbers not size....

One lure I had a lot of fish caught with was Bombers deep-diving Long-A,
boy did the walleye ever smack it....

Tip-up
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

X-RAPS ARE JUNK :evil: ....so please send me all your junk, I would hate to see our Land fills polluted with these Plastic duds :? , so to help save the environment, I'll suffer the pains and take all of these Plastic environment time Bombs of your hands :D please PM me where and when you want my HAZ MAT team to swing by and retrieve these plastic menaces :D 8) 8)
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Last year I was slaying the 'eyes with the CC Grappler Shad. It didn't matter what lake, they just loved it. This year I couldn't buy a walleye with them. The Smallies still loved them though.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

Dud= Senkos: they just dont work for me but I watched a few vids from some guys south of the border and I have now a better idea on how and where to use them. 8)

As for the watermellon sucks I must agree. I did some testing in gin clear water and greenpumpkin did about 20 to zero, same bait and size. :?: Heck I even trow the first catch at those trees with that damn watermellon! :evil: Then pitch the greenpumpkin and there you go MR largemouth. :D
I have to do some more test in very grenish water to ruled out this color. :D

For the Johnson Silver minnow I got some OK largemouth and pike a few years ago the secret is in the trailer: a white grub or a piece of worm say motoroil. 8)

LL