Scully today

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Scully today

Post by Akira »

Ended up at Scully today from 9:30ish to 4:30... Caught nothing. :cry: I guess the upside is, the other groups there caught nothing too. Maybe just an unlucky day.

I even had the red belly dace minnows like everyone said to use. Argh.. I have to admit, I suck at trout fishing. I am now looking for a trout fishing tutor/mentor! Any takers? :D
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I actually typed quite a lengthy response first time around in this thread. It was full of humour and dedicated to this post. But I am finding these days that every time I turn around this site is screwing me over when I try and post. Last w/e was bad as well.

Too bad no fish Akira, but, it's OK when you see others getting nothing as well. At least then you know it's not you. :D
freshwater shark
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by freshwater shark »

"it's OK when you see others getting nothing as well. At least then you know it's not you." Well said. :D
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Akira,

I've fished Scully many times (only on flyrod) and have yet to hook a trout. I tried just after ice-out, mid-spring, late spring, and late in the season. Last fall, one of the cottagers on the lake chatted with me and he said the trout fishing had been terrible in 2005.

Was he trying to put me off? Maybe....but I didn't catch any trout there last year. :?
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Brandon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Brandon »

We were up there early in the week and didn't catch anything either. One of the other guys fishing there said there had been fish caught 2 days prior. But nothing since. Hopefully it piks up, but I don't think I'll be out there to try until I hear from others that the bite is on!
Brandon
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

I was out trout fishing yesterday at one of my favorite spots, got there around 7am nailed three right away and then nothing for the rest of the day! Trout are just like that one day they will hit almost anything and the next day nothing!
I also met up with a few of hawk talkers at the lake and when I left at 3 they had 6 on the ice between 3 people!!
The road in wasn't plowed, and they seemed to make it in ok I just hope they made it out :) (the road seemed to have soften up on the way out)
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Scully - Par for the course

Post by Buzzer »

I was there on Jan 2... caught nothing.

I sarcastically told an old timer out there that I guess they got cleaned out on Jan 1 as there had to be a hundred holes around the lake from the day before. He said he didn't think so as he had yet to see a hole with blood around it.... I never saw a hole with any blood either.

On my day out I didn't see anyone catch anything either. I was there right after first ice out this spring and got skunked too.

Got a feeling that there aren't many trout in this lake. If anyone catches anything let me know.

Buzzer
Akira
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Akira »

Ok. Hearing all this makes me feel a bit better. Thanks guys :)

I guess I will have to try and find another place that me and my awd impreza can get into with little difficulties :)

Oh. For you bogie knowledgable folk: I heard that someone bought the land near Peterwhite, and that the access road is now private property? Does anyone know about this? Skidoo the only way in now?
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Scully

A small lake with several cottages. I was there with Brandon, Bassboy a few weeks back! Thought it was secluded however we got there and tons of people were all over. Four wheelers. ski doos.. etc... I think its a great example of a highly pressured lake with very few fish in it... I think its fished out and its been hit hard... Fished it hard for hours on end... Thats why catch and release matters... Scully proves that

Spence
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Spence Scout....ice-fishers don't fish to release..... :?
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

Most people will keep there fish out of Scully considering it is a put and take fishery. The few times I have fished there the action was pretty slow but I wouldn't say it is fished out yet.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Pretty much all of our eastern Ontario trout waters are put & take. If my memory serves me (let's not hold our collective breath), Scully received more than 1500 brookies in the 2004 stocking. After the bass finished filling their gorges, there were probably only a few hundred left.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually caught a limit.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Allright here it is, On the opener before I ended up at another lake, I decided to fish Scully, now first off scully is stocked with a NIpigon/Hills lake Brook trout strain, which means they grow big fast, but have a life span of about 5 years. Mid winter last year I caught several good sized trout( 18 to 20 inches) and missed several other bigger fish. On the opener there were over 40 people fishing this lake, between 8-1:00pm not one person had iced a trout :? I find this quite odd, I think u can rule out the Smallies gorging on them :roll: As I said these trout GOT big fast, way bigger than the average smallie in there. They also feed on zooplankton in the summer which pushes them deep away from the bass, and then they do a switch in the winter. The only thing that makes sense is some sort of oxygen level depletion, how I don't know, I spoke with a lad the other day who said he fished it last ice, last year and they were finding dead trout on the bottom :? But I did catch a 19" male at ice out so who knows, but trust me even though this is an easy access lake, it does not get fished that hard. I can say that I haven't given up on the lake yet, the ministry did stock 2000 this spring, and I still believe there are some hearty 5 pounders swimmin around, they're just bein fussy :wink: Akira sorry bud, I should have told u to avoid Scully for your first ice fishing trip :wink: If anyone gets into any let us know.

Cheers,

Rich
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Spence,

Scully is a put and take fishery only!!

Akira,

The road off the 511 into peterwhite's has been private property for a long time. You can get to it by parking on the 511(pending u don't have a sled) And walking up the power lines and accessing the southern tip of the lake. Peterwhite actually used to be natural spec fishery, to be honest with u never fished it, but have heard of people having some good luck. Tried to get in with the Bike last year and got stuck in 6 ft of snow :shock: . Don't worry bud you'll get into some trout yet. :wink:

Cheers,

Rich
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

The bass can be a problem in Scully. When the brook trout are released they are just under 4 inches long; this is when they can get wiped out by the bass.

These brook trout may grow quicker but we are not talking about going from 28 grams stocked to a pound within a month.

I say we hold a bass tournament there and have a fish fry afterwards. :shock:

Cheers,

Scott