Are there any Carp in the Rideau?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

Are there any Carp in the Rideau?

Post by cockney carper »

Hi Guys
I have just bought a cottage at Seeleys Bay to fish for Carp in the St Lawrence, but would love to know if the rumours of Carp in the Rideau are true! Seems as if the Ottawa end there are loads and possibly the Kinsgston end too - so how about the rest of it? My ultimate dream of course would be to find some nearer to Little Cranberry Lake etc, so keep your eyes peeled and let me know!
Thanks
Tony Holt AKA the cockney carper!
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

carp in Rideau R

Post by dana »

No...it is one of the waters that has not become infested with the
porkers..
Good for you to have a Euro love of the German carp..
they are intelligent...and errr large ... but too prolific blighters.
In short No...not on Cranberry either.
The Ottawa &St.Lawrence should do fine wha?

df
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I'm sure for a fellow countryman, John would be more than happy to help you out. (Actually, he'd help you out anyway I'm sure) :lol:

He's the Carp expert around these parts :!:

Just PM him....
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

if there not there yet, they will be there soon.

:D
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

There's lots of carp in the rideau although perhaps not in all sections. I can't say i fish for them there when i have 40-50lbers swimming just 35 minutes to the south :wink: I highly doubt they reach over 35lbs in there and most that do get caught are often thought to be bigger than they actually are.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I think I answered this last week but here goes. There are carp in the bottom end of Dog alongside the Sunbury Rd. There is a farm thats been spewing manure into the lake for decades. I suspect thats why I only see them there. A couple years ago I was sick for a month after eating a meal of bass from that bay.

Between Lower Brewers and Washburn there are carp too. There is an apple orchard a mile or so north of Joyceville on Hwy 15. A quarter mile past that there is a culvert on 15 off the Rideau. In the spring you can see them there frolicky in the mucky water. I suspect the huge landfill on the otherside of the Rideau has something to do with it.

Get the picture...there is a correlation with carp and dirty polluted water. The water in the top basin of Dog might be a little clean for there liking. Splake are stocked there. Likewise Cranberry all the way up to the Bay water quality is better, few if any carp. I've lived and fished on those waters for 40 years, I hope it stays that way.
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

carp in the rideau

Post by cockney carper »

Thanks John, Ganman and all the others that took an interest!

Yes ganman you did answer this before, and is really why i asked because if they are at breweres lock I wondered how far they had got. Appreciate what you are saying about the garbage etc. Your very detailed response here will give me a spot to definately check out when I am next over in the spring! As Joyceville is just down the road.
Will of course be back to the St Lawrence - will try and post a pic of one I caught at Caigers in, Gananoque, september 2005.
cant wait to get back to canada!
Tony
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

I live in Hamilton ONtario, about five hours from the area in question.

although its a little ways away, many (if not most carpers) consider Hamilton Bay the worlds best carp fishing.....

they have netted (through the carp barrier) multiple 50+ pound fish....

We love to fish carp...however we use relatively simple methods...

Let me know when your back in Ontario, and if you would like to try your luck down here....

There would be no costs, outside of the gas to get here.

Let me know,

Steve
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Hey Steve let's go carping at the end of March!
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Rideau Carp

Post by Seaweed »

I know that there are tons of them around Kemptville. Last spring while pre-fishing for Bass I stumbled on to a massive spawn in a shallow bay on the north side of the river near the bridge that crosses the Rideau just outside Kemptville.

They were everywhere and prolific. I almost felt like a voyeur... and proceeded to point the boat in the other direction and got out of there. :shock:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

end of march is salmon time BBR. :D

carp fishing isn't till end of april. (or until my arms gets sore from the Kings)

in checking my pictures, it looks like the first two weeks of May is the best time for carp....at least it was the last two years.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

To each his own, I start carpin'/catfishin the end of March usually
cockney carper
Participant
Participant

carp season

Post by cockney carper »

is there a season for carp fishing - cant seem to find anything definate about this - seems as if carp dont exist!
tony holt - aka cockney carper!
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

steve-hamilton wrote:I live in Hamilton ONtario, about five hours from the area in question.

although its a little ways away, many (if not most carpers) consider Hamilton Bay the worlds best carp fishing.....

they have netted (through the carp barrier) multiple 50+ pound fish....

We love to fish carp...however we use relatively simple methods...

Let me know when your back in Ontario, and if you would like to try your luck down here....

There would be no costs, outside of the gas to get here.

Let me know,

Steve
I've seen the carp in Hamilton Harbor :shock: they get huge and, stack up like cordwood :shock:
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

carp in rideau

Post by dana »

hmmm..i must be brain dead.
still don't remember any..remember dogfish down towards jones falls.

O welle, eye bean rong bee four.

df