Advice on fishing at Newboro Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Pocono Bass
Participant
Participant

Advice on fishing at Newboro Lake

Post by Pocono Bass »

My 17 year old son and I plan a 3 to 5 day fishing trip to the Newboro Lake area this summer. We mainly want to fish for Pike and Bass. How is the fishing at Newboro Lake? Is there a better lake close by? Can you recommend a place to stay? We were thinking of Stirling Lodge or the Poplars. Any comments on them or other places? Finally, can anyone recommend a good guide? Thanks, any feedback will be helpful.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Newboro

Post by Seaweed »

Welcome to Fish-Hawk.net

Newboro lake is a great lake to fish. The bite can be tough but early season anglers do just fine. You have to know that there are two spots on the lake that a sanctuary and you don't want to end up getting caught in there by accident with fishing gear. The lodges will be able to show you the spots on the lake that I am talking about.

Both lodges you mentioned look to be very nice.

Good luck and do post your results after you visit.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Pocono Bass,

Have you been to the area (Newboro / Westport) at all yet? It's really a fun & pleasant area to visit AND to fish. I can give you lots of ideas as to places to stay / fish / visit in the area, but if you're set on Newboro Lake, then Seaweed's got ya covered.

One of the things I like best about this area is your ability to plunk down at one lake, but pull out and fish scores of other as you wish...all within a stone's throw from eachother.

W.

PS: one thing to note about Stirling Lodge; if you're looking for aesthetical value, this lodge is directly on the road. The Poplars is set back a little, but not that much.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Welcome to the site. As Seaweed and Wolfe sid it is a great lake to fish. The waters are very clear and clean and there is endless structure to fish. Make sure you get your self a good hydrographic map of the lake. There are lots of unmarked shoals away from the main channel so just take your time and use the map and you will be fine. There is a fair bit of boat traffic on the lake in the summer, but you can still find areas where you will be by yourself.

Let me know if you need any more info. Gambler Steve is another great guy to ask as he has fished that lake many times.

Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

PB:

My cottage is 10 minutes from Newboro L, and if ya drop me a line for when you plan to be headin there I'd be more than happy to help you guys out on some area's to target for both pike and Bass.

F.F
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Unfortunately no additional input for you, but I just wanted to say that the willingness to help around here never ceases to amaze me. Keep up the good work everyone! :)

cheers,
tallpaul
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

One thing with Newboro lake is you can get caught up in the shore line trap. There is a lot of good looking shoreline that you think holds fish but you soon find out it just simply looks good and that is it. The bass in this lake love the mid lake weed beds and there are lots of them. So the short of it is, find the weed beds and you will fine the fish. Don't just think shallow either :).

Cheers,

Mike
dguyer
Participant
Participant

Re: Advice on fishing at Newboro Lake

Post by dguyer »

Hello all, I am a newbie on the forum and wanted to tag on to this thread if possible. I am coming to the Newboro Lake area for the first time as well this spring over Memorial Day weekend. My friend and I and his two teenage sons are looking to get on some Pike and also some good eating pan-fish if they are available, we would like to do a wild lunch at least one of the days and would prefer to release the Pike.

We fish lakes in the Adirondack Park of NY usually for Pike and our best success is usually shallow near weeds with gold or red/white spoons and in line spinners like Mepps in similar colors. Baitfish are primarily Perch.

Newboro looks like it has a lot of water, I've read some of the advice here already about not getting committed to the shoreline and shallow water too quickly. I have 2 questions:
1) Best resource for a good Nav map of the lake
2) Any advice on areas to start when looking for Pike, any lures/presentations that seem to work well on that lake specifically in Late May?

Very excited for our first trip to Canada!

Charlie
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Welcome Charlie,

You'll enjoy your trip up here! You'll find mapping on the Navionics App on the Fish-Hawk website. Newboro as part of the Rideau system has detailed maps.

RJ
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

As RJ has pointed out the Navionics App is a handy tool to study the lake.

Although somewhat out of vogue anymore, you can still purchase paper map sets at most lock stations along the Rideau System.

There are two fish sanctuaries with NO FISHING allowed on Newboro that you need to be aware of.

For fishing information besides questions you have for the board, check out Burtch's Live Bait in Newboro:

https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=Burt ... 3&v=2&sV=1

Very close by is Norris's Bait and Tackle:
http://www.norrisfishnhunt.com/fishing/soft-bait

It has been a while since I've been there, but Norris's was a great bait and tackle shop that had the latest info on the area lakes. Burtch's is really a bait shop with a bare modicum of stuff I'd never buy.

Dont be shy. If you got some questions feel free to ask.

Drop
Dobyns Army member
dguyer
Participant
Participant

Post by dguyer »

Thanks RJ for the welcome and advice on the Nav map, the online interactive map is very good for just doing some studying.

Drop, thanks for the advice as well, I did find exactly where the sanctuaries are so we are good there. I'm really looking forward to our trip.

All, I don't expect any secrets obviously, but any advice on presentation and color for Pike up there is appreciated. Going to a new lake is daunting sometimes, it took us some years to "figure out" our local lakes and resident pike. I don't want to just assume our colors and presentations will work as good.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

You might get a bit more fishing pressure on your lakes but while bass fishing, you are more than likely going to catch a few pike up there so you really shouldn't have any problems.

Now, Bass won't be open when you're planning on coming up but I imagine it is nothing really different up here for colours. White and Red seem to get hit the most for me but again, I am not targeting pike when I am on Newboro.

You should have some fun times up there regardless so enjoy the area. There are tons of areas to fish up there.