Fishing Knot Effectiveness

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kenny
Participant
Participant

Fishing Knot Effectiveness

Post by Kenny »

I recently purchased some new super lines and thought I would try "Spider Wire-Stealth" with these new super lines it seems the old tried and true knots may not be as effective. In the past I have used a double clinch knot, with a dab of nail polish or super glue (just in case). Any suggestions on some other more effective knots, if any?
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Kenny,

I can't even think of what the double clinch is. Heard of it, may have used it, but not sure.

I've used the Stealth, actually still have some 50lb on my two pike ice rods, basically I just use the Trilene knot... and honestly, with my other braids, that works just fine too. If I'm wanting some extra insurance I use the Trilene and then a Granny or two to secure the tag end.

Alot of folks use Palomar I bet. Either or dude and I think you should be good to go. :D
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I use the uni-knot on just about everything because it does not slip (if done properly). Always make sure to wet the line before tying the knot though! Especially with braid.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

The Palomar is the easiest to tie and strongest knot:

1. Double about 5 - 8 inches of line, and pass through the eye.

2. Tie a simple Overhand Knot in the doubled line, letting the hook or bait hang loose. Avoid twisting the lines.

3. Pull the end of loop down, passing it completely over the hook or bait.

4. Pull both ends of the line to draw up the knot.

Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I use a variation of the Palomar....by which I mean, I make the standard palomar, but on Step 2 I tie it tight with the loop still there and pass the loop through the eye of the hook/lure.
I always add a double granny or reef knot at the end for extra piece of mind, and always wet the line before pulling it tight to make sure it dries tighter.
I haven't been able to pull a lure off the line yet, and I find with braided line, this works even better than trilene.
Chris
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

The Palomar is the only knot that won't slip on braided line, it also locks within its loops when properly tied requiring no further steps.
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

knots and Mr. "B"

Post by Big Jim »

Hey Guy's, McQ has you on the only track that you should be on.

Palomar knots don't fail...when tied properly and if you should tie it wrong it will usually break when you test it with a real strong steady pressure.

I learned a long time ago from a guy called..Um, Er, Ah...Denny...Ah..Um...OH YA..Denny Brauer ( Big Jims HERO) about the knot and how to tie it and make sure it won't break because you tied it wrong and did not test it properly.

Denny used to fish with us at the Canadian Open in Kingston and he gave me the once over on knots one evening in the parking lot (sounds like the Champ should show up here..Pardon)...nothing better than learning from a master.

In all the years Rocky and I fished together we NEVER had a knot break...never. We broke the line itself a handfull times trying to pull fish out of trees or other crap where it was use it or lose it time...but NO knots.

I still remember Denny telling me how few anglers ever tested their knots after tying them and he was happy to keep it that way...letting the fish test it and hoping you failed.

BIG JIM~~~~~~~~~~~~~off to Toronto Show & Bass Pro Shops all week~~~~~~~~~out'
JFish
Participant
Participant

Post by JFish »

I personally like the improved clinch knot. Very easy to do and has held perfectly with all the mono, flouro, and braid line that I have used. I do use the palomar knot sometimes as well.

JFish
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

The Palomar
BLR
Participant
Participant

Post by BLR »

Palomar.........the knot for braided line......u can pull tree trunks outa the water....
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Improved clinch knot as never failed me, no need to change. I'm sure the Polamar is just as good.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
painter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

With braid........

Post by painter »

Last edited by painter on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FishinJim
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinJim »

Line to line - uni to uni.
Everything else - Palomar - nothing is simpler or better.
Jim