yay pike

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

yay pike

Post by Jebby »

hey all. i love pike. best fish to catch... however i am fairly new to pike fishing and i am planning a trip with my family Very new to pike fishing. its not hard to see y so many people are intimidated by them when u look in there mouth. any advice on how best to handle this amazing fish would be great as every time ive cought any ive been with a more experienced pike angler who has helped me with my toothy prize... thanks all

Jebby
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Just under the gill plate and the belly, never vertically .
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Pescatore
Participant
Participant

Post by Pescatore »

The Gill is your best bet!
dr_feelgood
Participant
Participant

Post by dr_feelgood »

Don't lip it like a bass. :lol:
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

lol definitly wouldent want my thumb in there... anywhere inside the gill is ok? i dont want to dammage the fish and if avoidable id like to save damage to me too. :oops: especially on smaller fish i can see gettin into the gill to ba a challange thaks

jebby
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

By far the best method I've implimented (when fishing with a partner) is the use of Berkley filleting gloves (about 15.00 each) Tail the fish, then using your other hand grab him behind the head (unless the shoulders are too broad, if so scoop up by the belly :D ) and have your partner remove the hooks. (Use pliers :!: ) Some times you may require fish gags as occasionally they don't co-operate and say "Ahhhh". If you do use a pair of gags make sure you use a pair that doesn't have Too much tension.

This method gets the fish quickly back into the water with a minimal amount of stress, no net to scrape their defensive slime off etc.

Good luck.