question about mixed gas

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Waterguy
Participant
Participant

question about mixed gas

Post by Waterguy »

With the price of gas now I would like to use the almost full 5 gallon tank left over from last November. However I am worried about water in the gas. Is it safe to put methyl hydrate in the mixed gas of a 2 stroke engine.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: question about mixed gas

Post by Jimmy »

Waterguy wrote:With the price of gas now I would like to use the almost full 5 gallon tank left over from last November. However I am worried about water in the gas. Is it safe to put methyl hydrate in the mixed gas of a 2 stroke engine.
Throw it in your car if your concerned... it will smoke some but it wont hurt it. I wouldnt think you would have water in it anyway.. especially if it is a plastic can.
I wouldnt risk putting old gas in my boat unless I used stabil on it in the fall. Rowing to the dock doesnt interest me...

Jimmy
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Hey Waterguy,if you did not stabilise that gas I would not use it.The gas will tend to break down after a certain period :D. Unfortunately you'll need to get a new tank in my opinion.

Did you run stabilised fuel thru your engine :?:

Ron
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

Gas that is mixed with oil will not break down as quickly as straight gas. I would just use it in your car to be on the safe side. If you really want to use it in the boat, buy another full can and use half new gas and half of the stuff from last fall. Just give it a shot of water remover/de-icer]

Joe
Waterguy
Participant
Participant

Post by Waterguy »

Thanks for the advice guys. With a 15 year old truck nobody will even notice the smoke