New boaters can be a pain

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Pieuvre
Participant
Participant

New boaters can be a pain

Post by Pieuvre »

Well Got a new boat this year, Ive been out 3 times, all on the ottawa river. First time out, 2 weeks ago, just a ride with my son, boat was running fine, Found a couple just bought there boat, dead in the water, took me over an hour to tow them back to the launch.. was out on friday got some fishing time, no luck but was nice to have a line in the water... Sunday, take the wife my son and My mother out, left the launch at 4, well what do you know, another boat dead in the water, a famely in there new used boat, dead. 4 miles from their launch. well since the weather was bad, rain hail and so on, I towed them back in, cuttin into my fishing time but thats fine. I could not let them sit there in the rain.... maybe their is some money to be made. a buiseness opertunety.....lol what a start to the season...
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Good on you t give up fishing time to help others.

Just remember what goes around comes around.

By that I mean becuase you helped these people they will remember your kind deed and will one day come across another stranded boater, remember what you did, and in turn help these people, and then these people will remember and in turn help someone else etc etc etc and then one day you may find yourself stranded and one of these people will be there and in turn tow you back to dock.

See how that works?

I really believe in this.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI PIEUVRE

THAT was realy nice off you.............

i did tow some people to before.....in the montebelo region and at cottage...a lot off people,,,dont chek all there stuff on the boat,,dont read owner manual etc etc..............or they baught a lemon...... :shock: :x .........

BUT actualy pieuvre there a tow boat,right at the little marina down rocklift.......that there job ,to tow boat and to tow docks and just about everything.........they are right at the little restaurant on the ottawa river down rocklift.................and by the way it fun to go there,,,,there some gas there some toilette,there a floathing restaurent,i go heat breckfast there wit my boat some time in summer,,,great little place.....

i will try to find the number.for the boat towing,,,,,,,,,,,could be usefull.....

but it was NICE off you to help those people...... :P

i was stuck 2 time...........one time i tow my boat by swiming wit a rop.. :shock: :x :x took me a long time to get to the cottage....and the other time,,,went wit that little canoe paddle,,,,,to the dock,,mans it those take a long time.........and dead tired.... :roll: ........

by the way...........you did not go for cats.?........caught 8 last night at victoria..in about just 1 hour off fishing...frome 7.30 to 8 45 aprox,,all small one .......by boat you would find the deep hole,,,and could get tones off them.........

take care and hope to see you soon......

joco :)
BLR
Participant
Participant

Post by BLR »

Over the years I've towed in quite a few boats and don't have a problem with that. ( I sank mine at 6 in the morning duck hunting many years ago and needed help).

But......the damn sailboaters, I've towed in a few from Port Credit area of Lake Ontario, they're the most ungratefull bunch I've seen and don't ever expect them to tow anyone else. One of them reprimanded me cause I didn't bring him in to the right slip..well....Never again unless it's a life threatening situation.

btw... if u need a tow cause u ran outa gas........disclose as "elecrical problem" lol

regards
brian
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Just remember the rules of the water folks...
You must help other boats in trouble and also assist in a distress call if you have a VHF on board.

cheers'

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Congratulations on the good deeds. Not enough people are willing to put themselves out for others anymore. I agree with Mr. J, what goes around comes around. Sometimes it just takes forever. I also agree with BLR, and I just don't understand the attitude some people show after you have helped them. You just want to take them back to where they were and say do it yourself. Regardless, well done on helping others.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

You could always troll you way back pulling the boat. Just use in-line planar boards. Use the tow boat as your drift sock, to help you get down to < 1mph.

Bill
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

BLR check with the Port Credit marina staff I believe you could tow the sail boat as far as the entrance to the basin, after that taking a boat to a slip would present an insurance problem. As a sailor I know that's the way it is in our marina tow to the basin, drop the hook and radio for assistance. As for ignorant the last sailboat I towed in, the guy didn't even say thanks let alone offer to buy me a beer, towed him 10 miles in 32 deg weather :evil:
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

M.T. Livewell wrote:You could always troll you way back pulling the boat. Just use in-line planar boards. Use the tow boat as your drift sock, to help you get down to < 1mph.

Bill
I like your thinking Bill. :lol:

A $30,000 dollar drift sock is a far cry from the Fish-Hawk drift bucket (winter hats, gloves, scarf storage bin from C Tire) I've used in the past.

Bill gives me cause to think that it is a good idea to keep a lot of spare planar boards and rods on board - just in case the new drift sock has half a dozen people lounging on it.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Towing a boat

Post by CCLad »

EyeTracker has it right. Without getting into exact paraphrasing, it is illegal to leave/ignore a boat in distress. Sucks (Unless it's you floating aimlessly), but it's got to be done. Try running 15 miles out into lake Ont only to get a call from another boat 5 miles away in need of help. Heavy on the gas, but even more so, hard on the fishing.
:(
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

As CCLad and ET said, you gotta help them. Rules of the water.

Cheers,

Mike
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

It is not only the rule. It is the right thing to do.
I would have a hard time hearing someone capsized or drowned because I would not respond to an sos. Because of fishing????
Norm
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Curious, guys.

What law exactly are you referring to?

In our government boats we are not allowed to tow in a disabled vessel- there are liability issues at stake here. Of course, we would not abandon people in a life-threatening situation, and always radio for a private marina to assist if that is requested by the strandees.

I know that the Coast Guard recently changed their rules. They are only to tow if they are unable to get a private tow service to do the job.

My understanding is that the province of Quebec is the only province to actually have a law in place stating you MUST assist a boater. I'll do a little research.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Hmmmm...

Post by eye-tracker »

Cancatchbass wrote:Curious, guys.

What law exactly are you referring to?

In our government boats we are not allowed to tow in a disabled vessel- there are liability issues at stake here. Of course, we would not abandon people in a life-threatening situation, and always radio for a private marina to assist if that is requested by the strandees.

I know that the Coast Guard recently changed their rules. They are only to tow if they are unable to get a private tow service to do the job.

My understanding is that the province of Quebec is the only province to actually have a law in place stating you MUST assist a boater. I'll do a little research.
I do not think it is a law, more a rule of the water as taught in the Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons boating courses. It is a shame that government organizations are making decisions based on money, as a tax payer I would hate to see any government service not offer a tow because of insurance cost. The tow service will charge, so we once again we have to pay for another service.
A real shame.

-Sheldon Hatch
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Not sure about the law on this but from my radio course yrs ago are you not required to monitor 16 at all times while under way? And you are required to respond to a may day, a pan pan response would be more of a courtesy? Where do you look this stuff up?