CHARLESTON LAKE GETAWAY LAST MONTH ** Several Pictures**

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

CHARLESTON LAKE GETAWAY LAST MONTH ** Several Pictures**

Post by wolfe »

This report is long overdue, but better late than never.

Brian and I took the kids (and our dog, Toby) to Charleston Lake again over our Memorial Day holiday. We really enjoyed this magnificent lake last year as well as the cottage we rented, so a repeat visit was in order. My brother and Mom rented a cottage next door, so it was a nice family getaway.

Here is the cottage we rented again this year. Water's edge, clean & comfortable.

The boys immediately got into some fantastic shore fishing. As long as you cared to put worms on, you could pull in nice panfish & rockbass. Some were of a nice size, like this one.

Ty's needed something to smile about recently, and some good fishing was the perfect "prescription". Here's a typical rockbass caught from shore.

Weather held beautifully, except for half a day, but it didn't really stop us from getting out. Here's the "He Wolfe" in our boat with Toby. Note the new 40 hp Honda 4-stroke. Mr. Wolfe can be persuasive. :wink: The engine is a DELIGHT! Our boat has gone from a plug to a zippy & quiet ride.

The kids also got some nice fish from the boat. Here's a nice perch.

Shane, not to be outdone. He did pretty well, detecting his own bite and setting the hook. (At one point he hooked into an OOS bass, about 13 or 14"; he knew immediately it wasn't a sunny and handed the pole promptly over to me! :lol: No pic!)

We saw some interesting wildlife over the course of a few days: loons, ospreys, a beaver, an otter, countless birds, etc. Saw these lazy guys sunbathing...

...and this regal Great Blue Heron let me get about as close as I've ever gotten to one without spooking it. This was in Leeder's Creek.

Every night, I'd sit by the open window and listen to a lakeside serenade of frogs, loons and the occasional owl. AMAZING.

Of course, there has to be some dose of negativity to be reminded that this is planet Earth and NOT Heaven. Fishing for the grown ups was NOT good. My brother was the only one to land some pike, I think he got 5 or 6 (one was pretty big), and that was prior to our arrival. They turned OFF for Brian and I. I had one flash out of the weeds and swipe / miss my lure on the last day. :roll: I got one accidental laker, about 23", with a clipped right fin. I think that means a stocker. It was beautiful, though. Anyway, after a while each day, I'd give up and perch/panfish with the kids...plenty enough fun for me, but I was disappointed the pike were snubbing us. I did pretty well with them last year & expected the same.

On the last day, Ty woke up with a fever -- a precursor to what's been ailing him every since -- but wanted to get in one last fish before we headed home. He boated this HUGE rockbass from Green Bay. It was a hair off 11". Also, it was pretty dark, which is hard to tell in the photo; a nice fish.

Soooo, that rather sums up our brief but enjoyable trip to Charleston. I'm still in love with this lake and hope those of you who haven't experienced it yet find some time to do so. It is a visually stunning lake and offers some really diversified fishing, especially if you time opening seasons for lakers / bass with your outing. We missed both, unfortunately.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

Sounds like fun was had by all on this weekend.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Those are some great pics Wolfe. And the kids look like they won the family fishing derby. Way to go!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice pics Wolfe and looks like the kids have fun as usuall. Till next time and hope to meet you again this summer.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Thanks for the read and pictures Wolfe :!: Could not have picked a better place than Charleston for a trip...
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Awesome pics ,I just love seeing smiling little faces.

Looks like a good family outing.

Thanks for the pics

Matt
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

great report Wolfe! :) Looks like the young lads were layin' a beating on the panfish population! And some good sizes too! :o :shock: Outstanding!!! :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Nice to see young smiling faces.
Glad to see the fish cooperated for the small fry.Great parenting job letting the kids outfish you.
Loved all the wildlife shots. I see you don't disturb the turtles like I do. If I can't rest neither does anything on the water, turtles included. Just don't want them suffering from to many UV rays and dried cracked skin.
Charleston lake is quite a body of water with many species to challenge you and many places to go to get out of inclement weather.
Love that boat, fellow Crestliner owner.
Hopefully catch up with you later this summer. I was tied up with Joisey Joe that weekend.
Should be able to bring my better half along for an outing with you when up in Canada again.
Brian
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

Always fun to see the little guys in on the action :D

Love the pics and great read.

Bender
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Kids + fish + smiles = priceless.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I love looking at your little guys fish pics.....HUGE GRINS :D :D . Shane must be quite a little character and Ty looks like he's quite the fisherman. The boat looks good....and a new Honda :wink:

Charleston is a special place but I fear it's being neglected. I told you what I think the pike problem is and the lake trout management needs more attention than just dumping 15,000 yearlings in every year.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hi all and thx for the nice words.

Yeah, ganman, I wondered about your hunches upon reflection of the trip. But it could have been my lacklustre pike skills. :roll:

The trip was short, but sweet.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

Ahh the lads are growing :lol:
Life goes on