Wed night on the ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Pieuvre
Participant
Participant

Wed night on the ottawa

Post by Pieuvre »

I Went out tonight, decided to hit the ottawa for some pike. launch at blaid and fished the east end of the iland right in front, was quiet at first, srarted throwing spiner baits toward shore, 8 to 10 ft of water, white and red got a few small hits but nothing worth writting about. So I movved it closer to shore, 5 ft or less. switch to red and yellow w/gold blades was about 730pm by then. was looking for those monsters crusing the shallow flats for dinner. hoked 2 decent ones in the first 20 min 3 to 4 lb. first fish this season, felt great, shortly aster 8, decided to do some trolling towards the launch, minutes into it, wam, big hit, major head shakes. this tail comes out of the water, easy 10 plus pounds, looked like 4 ft long, was in 3 ft of water, still with my spiner bait, red and yellow. never got him close enought to get a great look, but it was big, broke the line, 30lb spiderwire 12 in leader and still he got away. now it could have been a musky, I was to exited to notice, just wanted to land him.... will try again next week, hopfully he stays inthe area....

Soory guys no pics, forgot the camera at home, was in hurry to get out there....lol
DUQ
Participant
Participant

Post by DUQ »

I was walking the shore near the Blair boat launch and noticed alot of minnows close to shore. Saw a large wake going through a minnow school about 5' from shore. Im sure it wasnt a turtle. Tons of bait fish.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi pieuvre..........

great report bud.......... :P

to bad you did not boat the big one.... :? ....

my 2 cents.......mabe its time to put some 80pound power pro and some 100 pounds leader on that rod......... :wink: ...you dont want to miss big fish to offten yer.......................and you dont want a big fish swiming around whit a lure in is mouth,,,,,,,,,, :? ...........

i would recomend biger line...............and bigger leader....... :wink: ,,there some big fish in the ottawa......... :o

take care and can t wait to see more report...........

joco
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Get that musky rod already will you :)

Agree with Joco, spool it with some power pro and you're good to go.

Carlco
Pieuvre
Participant
Participant

bigger line

Post by Pieuvre »

I agree that I have to go stonger, will be upgrading to 50lb spiderwire tonight, but 30 lb on a med action rod, w/ a 80lb leader, that should be fine for pike and walley on the ottawa you would think..