Buckhams Bay - Friday

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pjmasson
Participant
Participant

Buckhams Bay - Friday

Post by pjmasson »

Hey guys,

Went out to the trailer at Golden Lake this weekend, what an awesome weekend for weather eh... anyway, got there and realize I forgot my keys for the boat at home...&(*&)$# Oh well, went fishing off the docks with my son and he outfished me, he's 11, guess he had a good teacher.

Anyway, am planning on taking the day off friday and trying to find this Buckhams bay. Found the document posted here on where to fish in urban ottawa and it has directions to the buckham's bay launch...

If you have any pointers on where to go from the launch, I'd appreciate it. I'll be in a 12' aluminum, dark hair glasses and moustache. I'll try and get some pics, hopefully catch some fish. Hey bass will be open friday right? If not, that's okay, I'm really looking for walley anyway.

Thanks all
Peter
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

The launch at Buchams is not the greatest but if since your boat is 12 feet you wont have any problems. We launch there all the time. When you launch you can head out towards the main river, as you get to the point head out a few hundred more feet and turn right, this is a flat that extends a long way out, there are always fish in this area. Being in a small boat it is probably a good idea to stay close enough to where you can make a hasty retreat if the wind gets up because it doesnt take long for the waves to get big. I got caught out a few years ago with Clown Worship in my 15' lund and it was flat when we left and an hour later the waves were at least 3 feet and it took us a good 1.5 hrs to get back when normally it would take maybe 15 minutes so be carefull. If you have a depth/fish finder it is definitely an asset. I have caught everthing in this area at all different times using different things. I think Flipper is a better expert on this area but I have fished alot with success. Good luck and let us know how it went. :lol:
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

pjmasson - Just a heads up, the bass season doesn't open until June 30th on the Ottawa River this year. Check the regs for Division 12 - last Friday of the month.
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Hey PJ, as far as I know Bass doesn't open on the Ottawa until Friday the 30 of June. It is a week behind the rest of Ontario this year.

Cheers
UL
pjmasson
Participant
Participant

Post by pjmasson »

thanks guys for the warning and the tips...

Don't have a depth finder, is it very deep at the flats? is there a drop off that is good for walleye?

Oh, btw.. heading out towards the main river you said, I assume this is obvious right, I should be able to tell when I get there?

Thanks again
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Depth seems to range form a foot near shore to 5-10 feet everywere else. Yes it does drop off deeper towards the main river you can usually see if you have polarized glasses. and yes head right from the launch .