Wolfe Lake Family Time: Lots of Pictures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wolfe Lake Family Time: Lots of Pictures

Post by wolfe »

We escaped (in every sense of the word) to Wolfe Lake after a pretty stressful couple of weeks, and had a chance to decompress/destress/detox, so to speak. It was really good to get away for a real vacation and to check the progress on our cottage-to-be.

I'll let the following pic's speak for themselves, as it is late. But bottom line is the panfishing was exceptionally good, including some very nice perch, but walleye and pike were quite slow (just a few of each all week). It gave me comfort to know others on the lake were not fairing well either. The devil likes company, after all. :wink:

We got the biggest kick out of the sunnies-on-steroids. Just ridiculously bloated and big...massive girths, voracious appetites and fun fights on lighter tackle. Not just the kids were tickled to reel them in! The panfish were hitting everything from worms on spinners to microjigs to deep diving crankbaits! :lol:

I did manage an afternoon of fishing & catch-up with Slushy & Bowzog, and will post that under a separate report, probably tomorrow night. It was great to see them again and to have some laughs. Sorry I didn't have the time prior to leaving to plan a bigger get together this time out. Hopefully in July...?

Here are the pics (I think you can click on some of the images to get a clearer/larger view...)

(Notice my crazy-faced kid joking around...verrry nice, Ty! :roll: :lol: )

Hope you enjoy the pic's and hope to cross paths with some of you next time around. :D

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

good job, you beat me this weekend. Tried flyfishing for walleye-skunked. Didn't even get a pike:(. The massive sunfish saved it for me this weekend. They really fight well, and I sight fish for them. Got 12 of the bulls on the weekend with a bunch of smaller ones too.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Great report once again.....pike sure are scarce huh? Remember when they were a nuisance? I love those pics of the kids. You guys look like you have a great time. The dog looks a little skeptical though :lol:

I almost fished Wolfe this Sunday instead of the river. I have a friend who lives up that way and was gonna pick him up. I haven't been walleye fishing yet this year and the wind was blowing pretty good (I have to cross a large open area to get to the NY side). He couldn't go so I went out on the river here instead. As it turned out it wasn't the wind that was so bad but the wakes from all the boat traffic. Looks like those sunnies are a great backup when the walleyes are slow.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Awesome report W!! I can't believe the size of those sunnys!! :o :o .......and the perch that Tiny Torpedo got! :shock: Looks like you guys had an awesome week!! :D :)

t'was great to spend that Monday with you folks too! We had a real blast!! Thanks again Folks!! :D 8) :)
Last edited by Gord on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Great report, those are huge sunfish. Glad you and the family had a good time.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Thx guys...

Yeah, those sunfish & bluegills were just massive. I can't tell you how many times I got stuck in the same part of my thumb/palm last week because my hand wasn't quite large enough to securely hold the brutes while removing the hook. (It STILL hurts days later!) I lipped many of them, which is in and of itself pretty funny.

I want to head back to the Rideau, where we spent a fun afternoon. The wind was very annoying, but we put the trolling motor to good use and slipped around the lee side of several islands. Ty lost a very good bullhead boatside, and the action was mostly non stop for panfish & perch. I don't know why we couldn't locate the crappies, but man did I try. Got one immense largemouth on a tiny white crappie jig, which was easily released. Would like to make another appointment with him or his friends during open season. :D

W.
Sherriff
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sherriff »

Awesome report. Those are some great sized fish too.

Fishface
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

Good report.

I too have noticed the large size of the bluegills and sunfish this year.

Been catching most of mine on a #6 Gammy hook, with Gulp honey colour meal worms and mini earth worms.
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trexellunge »

Nice job to the "Wolfepack!" I never saw too many huge sunfish @ Wolfe Lake before; I pray it's not because the larger predators are diminished. I hope to squeeze in a day or two of fishing for smallmouth on Wolfe this year. I'm glad you and the family had such a nice time, and good luck with your cottage construction.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Awesome report wolf!!

I just love seeing all those little smiling faces :D

Looks like everyone had fun.

And fishhawk hats to boot :D :wink:

Matt
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Great report, it was like I was there instead of being stuck in this cubicle pretending to work. :wink:
Well and truly hooked!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I hooked in to a huge sunfish a couple of years ago your pictures of those fish are giving me painfull flashbacks :lol: :lol: as when I was taking the hook out he thrashed and I had a stinger on and it went straight into my thumb :cry: :cry: :x :x so clown worship had to come over and cut the stinger line so it would stop being yanked harder and deeper into my thumb!
So I had to push the pointy end through the inside to the outside. OWWW!!!!!!!!! Then I unhooked the fish tossed him back, got a band aid and resumed fishing. I certainly wasnt going to let that stop my day on the water. To this day every time I see or catch a sun fish I begin to temble like a little baby, and my thumb starts to ache. :lol: :lol: Good pics though and nice to see you enjoying yourself doing the best thing in the world. FISHING :P
SHUT UP OR I WILL REALLY GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT!!!!!!! My MOM
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

asome... glad u had fun.... i love when the pan fish get big... makes for nonstop action... .sry bout the poor pike/walleyte though... big or not no sunfish beats a pike hehe

jebby
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Awsome report there Wolfe. Those sun fish are huge and the perch is nice to to bad about the pike and walleye but at least the pan fish action is just as fun as walleye.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

ICEMAN, you about scared the bejeepers out of me when this popped up!

I remember the Creature from the Black Lagoon scaring me a lot when I was a little kid. Nowadays, it would probably look so fake compared to all the special effects, but back in the day... :shock: :!: :lol:

Thx again everybody. (Badger Shark, I know what you mean about fearing those prickly sunfish. Your experience sounds painful! I made Brian take off a lot of them after my hand took suck a beating. We'd see another slab sunny and I'd say "This one's yours, dear!") :lol:

W.