Bass Fishing the Quinte Area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Bass Fishing the Quinte Area

Post by steve-hamilton »

Spent the long weekend fishing Hay Bay for bass. Decided after the fun we've been having in Hamilton Bay that it would be nice for a change of scenery....but the species we've been having a blast with of late.

Hit bayview cottages, which really are amazing, because no matter how many people you have, or what cottage you stay in, it costs 30 bucks per person, per night. everyone can worry about their own costs.....

We arrived late Friday night, as we left Hamilton around 7ish....11:30 we arrived in the park....had some beverages, and ummmm....prepared for the morning.

Woke up bright and early....about 8am'ish....and got the rods ready for some Hay Bay Bassin'.

We decided with the amount of water available in the bay, and how unfamiliar we are with haybay's bass fishing (our second time ever), that we'd simply cast shorelines....easy enough.

Thowing mostly spinnerbaits, dad, Theresa, and I managed a dozen or so nice bass...

Day One was a fun day for everyone...we were all beat from the sun and the blowing wind, but we managed to put on a good party face again in the evening....and even had a surprise visit from jackson....he was supposed to be spending the weekend at home with the woman....lol.

Here's the pics from the other boat....they did pretty good as well. You'll see Theresa's big bass of the trip....of course the women always get the biggen'.

And finally, the only true four pounder of the trip....way to go T.

Day Two was spent fishing with jackson and dad, while theresa slept off the night of partying....rookie. We hit some of jackson's favorite bass spots, and it wasn't long before we were on the fish again.

The wind really started to blow as the afternoon approached....for those who have fished hay bay know it takes quite a wind to pick it up....well, check out these shots...

Basically we got blown off, and i lost my crew for the afternoon....but i still had to go out for at least a little bit....even if it was solo. Got my first and only smallies for my effort, as well as a few more decent bass.

George managed his biggest bass of the trip on the same morning, trolling a worm harness.

Monday found us trying for some walleye in the morning, but instead all we got were some huge sheepies. Bah.

My new person best sheepie. 29" and 11 pounds. Almost spooled me....wasn't ready for that fight on my light loomis rod.

Not long after, dad's rod doubled over....and the fight was on.

And that she be.....

Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

nice

Post by Bruin »

great report...looks like you guys/gal had a blast...and a lot of nice looking fish :!:
Sherriff
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sherriff »

Wow Steve, killer report. I cannot believe the size of those Sheephead's. Looks like a great time.

Glad you got into the nice largies and nothing better than fishing with family....

Later

Fishface
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Great report!
Those are some real nice sheepshead!!!
dskrizzy
Participant
Participant

Post by dskrizzy »

Great Report as usual Steve! Thanks for Sharing! You guys did quite well huh, good for y'all...

The wind on Saturday, man oh man, it was bad where we were on Kashwakamak Lake as well! But that is why I bought the Lund 8) so we could feel much safer and still get out on the water.

The Quinte Bass Fishery has been great the last few years and only seems to be getting better!!!! I think we will be getting out there in a couple of weeks/July 15th weekend to try our luck for some of their bass. Your report has gotten me hyped!

Cheers bro!

Dennis
dskrizzy
Participant
Participant

Post by dskrizzy »

Great Report as usual Steve! Thanks for Sharing! You guys did quite well huh, good for y'all...

The wind on Saturday, man oh man, it was bad where we were on Kashwakamak Lake as well! But that is why I bought the Lund 8) so we could feel much safer and still get out on the water.

The Quinte Bass Fishery has been great the last few years and only seems to be getting better!!!! I think we will be getting out there in a couple of weeks/July 15th weekend to try our luck for some of their bass. Your report has gotten me hyped!

Cheers bro!

Dennis
Shad
Participant
Participant

Post by Shad »

Been waiting for that report, can't get on somewhere else to check on ya, lol!

Hopefully work's been a breeze, hit the bay Friday eve or Saturday morning; give me a shout!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Holy Bass :shock: Nice work Steve!
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

thanks guys....

although i fish for pike, muskie, walleye, rainbows, browns, salmon, and carp/cats, my heart will always lie STRUCTURE fishing for bass...

which is why i think i like largie fishing over smallie fishing....(at least big water smallie fishing)...

gotta love pulling a bucket from a visable piece of structure....especially in 6" of water, where all they have to go is UP!
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

Those be some nice BoQ bass. Glad to hear you had a great time.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Right on Steve. Last summer you put me under the impression that you didn't know much about bass fishing - you sure know enough to go gwet a few beauties. Nice job and thanks for the report.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

well, i dont really....mr Hawk.

last summer i hadn't even picked up a bait caster. never used any type of worm. never even tried flippin'.

this year i've been all over the senko's and the heavy structure.

still dont have any confidence with flippin' jigs, but i have been building the confidence with other baits....

much of the bass water i fish locally, spinnerbaits are useless.....so it took a little getting used to....

i still remember that 'demonstration' Bobber put on.....If i had some holidays this summer, i'd LOVE to head out to the ottawa area, and try some bassin' with you fine folks....but i think that'll have to wait till next summer until i build up some seniority at work.