any experience for fishing walleye?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
feelinginwind
Participant
Participant

any experience for fishing walleye?

Post by feelinginwind »

I am a new fisherman :-) could anyone would like share the experience of fishing walleye, just like the kind of bait or other tips? thanks
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Post by krisbass »

i just caught my first walleye last weekend. I don't think i was fishing the right way, i was just casting and fishing for pike and bass. I was using a jig and a grub. I know jigs work well for walleye, and you should troll relatively slow for them with jigs and u can bounce them or drag them on the bottom. i also heard crank bait is good. mostly u have to go down to the bottom for walleye and water depth im not exactly sure but the big ones are down there :D where i caught my walleye it was a sandy bottom and around 7 or 8 feet deep. i think they like sandy/rocky bottoms. good luck fishing for walleye (we're going tomorrow to fish for them).
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

You can catch walleye with every technique known in fishing. Everything from down-riggers to micro jigs. You have to figure out where they are on the body of water you will fish, then pick the right technique for that area of the lake or river. Walleye will be deep 50+ feet or as shallow as 1 foot of water they are very diverse so never have a closed mind on how or what will catch them.

Do some reading and research about the species and it will help you catch them in any condition or location.

Good luck on one of my favorite species...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
gellers
Participant
Participant

Post by gellers »

From what I have read and know walleye do not look up for a meal. That basically means you need to put your bait directly in front of them.
Walleye are shy fish and spook very easily.
We have found that fishing weed lines to be very productive.
We also find that at this time of year due worms seem to be a tasty morsel for them.
Drifting on the wind along a weed line or use an electric trolling motor to keep you drifting along the weed line seems to be more productive for us, then using a kicker motor and trolling.
The other two techniques that have worked well for us, is to jig with buck tails into weed pockets or toss rats into thick weeds and lily pads.
Good luck and have fun hunting pics. They will drive the best crazy perusing them one day and then or just jump right onto your line then next
The Legend
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Legend »

erie deerie are the most famous lure to use for them it seems....one thing for certain they taste great!!!!!
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

gellers wrote:From what I have read and know walleye do not look up for a meal. That basically means you need to put your bait directly in front of them.
I am not a biologist or fish scientist, I can only go by experience on the water fishing for walleye. My experience on the water makes me conclude that Walleye do look up to feed. In the spring when trolling big waters for suspended walleye, like Lake Ontario the walleye will come up from 25 feet to grab cranks a few feet below the surface. It is very rare for walleye to feed or look down at a bait. I have also found that the most important part of a crankbait is the colour of the belly which would also indicate that the walleye are looking up at the bait. You can also catch walleye with top water baits or flies...so they must look-up to feed.

I always run baits above any fish I mark and seem to catch my fair share of walleye, I would recommend this to approach to any angler, as any presentation that is exactly at the same depth as the walleye would be extremely difficult to execute.

Good fishing...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
feelinginwind
Participant
Participant

Post by feelinginwind »

thanks you guys. in fact I have caught 3 but not big enough so that I released them. this make me interested. I would like to learn more about this fish perhaps some other fishes. thanks you guys share experience. good luck to you all.
feelinginwind
Participant
Participant

Post by feelinginwind »

thanks you guys. in fact I have caught 3 but not big enough so that I released them. this make me interested. I would like to learn more about this fish perhaps some other fishes. thanks you guys share experience. good luck to you all.