A Morning on the Pond (Pics, Giant Bass!)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

A Morning on the Pond (Pics, Giant Bass!)

Post by BBRich »

Well Shmirwin came over this morning to do a few hours on the pond. Nice & simple since the boat is docked there, all we gotta do is tote the trolling motor, battery and fishing equipment down and we're set for some bassin'. Oh and don't forget bail the water ::) lol but anyways we eventually got out for some fun fishin.

Right when we started off I was sure to tell Shmirwin how spinnerbaits hadn't caught a fish on this pond in over a year so they were pretty much worthless to use. So we used normal tactics, and caught a few bass/rock bass.

Eventually I switched up to of all things, yes a spinnerbait just to see if it would work. Soon enough I caught a couple more small bass and rock bass, so Shmirwin switched up as well to a much nicer Terminator stainless spinnerbait. Soon enough, he was catching bass - in fact, outfishing me!

So I tried a variety of different lures hoping for something else to work. It didn't, so finally I gave in and put the good old white tandem spinnerbait back on the line. Fished for a while, more small bass and rock bass when suddenly I cast near a laydown and the rod just doubled over! It started peeling 15lb pound line like there was no tomorrow, I assumed I had snagged a carp or caught a pike. Then, she turned and came to the surface - a BIG bass! Biggest I have seen out of that pond in quite a few years. WOW what a fight! She kept bulldogging and peeling drag, I had carp that fought worse than this bass, seriously! Finally I subdued the beast and got her to boatside and into the BBR Grasp.

That picture doesnt do that bass justice! I have seen many 4lb fish, this one was definitely bigger. I would easily say it was over 5 pounds. It was heavy for sure. I have caught one bigger out of that pond years ago but it has been quite some time. Another pic to give you an idea of the size:

Man oh man, that made my year! Just knowing there are bass that size in that pond still! :o

Well thanks Shmirwin for coming out it was certainly a great morning!!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Wow, Rich, that's a really BIG bass! Betcha had the shakes after that one for a little while, huh? Congrat's on a memorable beauty.

W.

PS: can you imagine the weight of that fish after a good summer's feeding? :shock:
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Beauty Bass there Rich.

You said that the first pic doesn't do the fish justice, but Im not sure about that. Its quite the hog - especially when you line it up next to the rockies and little guys in most of the other pics.

So is your spinnerbait all twisted out of shape after that brute got done with it. How shallow up was the big bass ?

Anyways looks like spinnerbaits were a good choice for the day.

Fox
dskrizzy
Participant
Participant

Post by dskrizzy »

Sounds like a great time, good work!

And that mule impersonating a bass, WHOA :shock: ! Amazing!

Seeing your pics just gets me so pumped and inspired to hopefully get into some fish like that!

Thanks for sharing!

d.
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

Beauty bass man, gotta be pushin 6+. Thats a sweet little spot you got there too, congrats man, what a hawg.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Sensational! Scintilating! Spectacular!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hello

Wow what a fish. Hopefully you had the video camera rolling. No one would have much to say about that episode. Oh wait a minute, maybe the two percent of ontario fisherman who have caught a bass bigger than that!!!

Awesome job

steve
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

I have no clue how big it is... but it's a great fish and I'd be plenty happy to catch that on any body of water, the small pond just makes it that much better!
I gotta get me one of those!

cheers,
tallpaul
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

asome bass..... cant ever go without the spinnerbiats :)
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

bass fishin on the pond

Post by Jigs »

:shock: :shock: Nice one BBR :!: :!:

Jigs. :D
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

I can see your name being changed back too BigBassRich pretty soon :wink:

Nice bucket dude!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice bass Rich I hope to catch one thats size soon to.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

FireFox wrote:Beauty Bass there Rich.

You said that the first pic doesn't do the fish justice, but Im not sure about that. Its quite the hog - especially when you line it up next to the rockies and little guys in most of the other pics.

So is your spinnerbait all twisted out of shape after that brute got done with it. How shallow up was the big bass ?

Anyways looks like spinnerbaits were a good choice for the day.

Fox
lol funny you should ask about the spinnerbait.. it was already beat up. It was my "lucky" spinnerbait.. at one point it was super rusted. So I replaced the swivel and split rings, and painted over the rust on the blades with chrome nail polish. LOL The skirt has been replaced twice, and it's junky again now.. but the bait keeps catching fish. I may have to retire it now though, one more hawg and it may break!

And the bass was sitting in 4 feet of water right up tight against a laydown.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Now thats a fish of the year candidate for sure. Sweet fish nice job rich. :shock: :shock:
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Thats one chunky fish..way to go!