slop fishing for bucketmouth

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

slop fishing for bucketmouth

Post by Jebby »

hey all.... being my 1st year with a boat ive discovered a massive amount of new fishing are.... last time out the eyes werent bitting so we headed to the slop and pulled out a bucketmouth rate away on buzzbaits..... whats every1s fav method for fishing the slop.... i personally love my buzzbaits but thats probobly cuz im also in love with spinnerbaits.... whats ur thoughts

jebby
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Hey Jebby! When fishing slop topwater, there is no better, and i mean no better lure that a scum frog. Depending on the bite i will bring my frogs in different ways such as poping it. i also like burning it in and if i get blow, i would chuck a worm inthe same spot. But normally i just bring the frog in slow. For fishing under the slop, i most commonly use flippin jigs, ribbontails or tubes. Another bait that has caught my attention the last little bit is using a senko around the weed line.

Anthony :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

jig head is right that is the the way i will mostly fish slop for largies. somtimes i also like to use a rat insted of a frog. most of the time tho when i get a blow up on a frog or rat i will pitch a senko to that vary spot where it hit and the fish will almost always take the senko. :D
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

I throw frogs but also like to toss a good old fasioned bobber with worm or minnow and just let it sit while I do the same. :lol:
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Badger Shark wrote:I throw frogs but also like to toss a good old fasioned bobber with worm or minnow and just let it sit while I do the same. :lol:

you chuck a bobber in the slop. How does that work?
Northamfishing Tackle
clown worship
Participant
Participant

Post by clown worship »

Well he's had a musky come after that same bobber on two different bodies of water so other than maybe rigging a hook directly to the bobber it tends to work out pretty well... :lol: :lol:
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Yeah, but the title says "slop fishing for bass" I wonder how it works for bass??

Northamfishing Tackle
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

jig head wrote:Hey Jebby! When fishing slop topwater, there is no better, and i mean no better lure that a scum frog. Depending on the bite i will bring my frogs in different ways such as poping it. i also like burning it in and if i get blow, i would chuck a worm inthe same spot. But normally i just bring the frog in slow. For fishing under the slop, i most commonly use flippin jigs, ribbontails or tubes. Another bait that has caught my attention the last little bit is using a senko around the weed line.

I totally agree. Top notch stuff Anthony!
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Sorry jig-head, let me clarify I throw the bobber to the edge of the slop, and frogs into the slop :? And I have caught many large bass this way sorry if its not your usual conventional way, but it works. 8)
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

thx for the info guys.... isent it illegal to use 2 poles at once though?
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Frogs, frogs and more frogs.
Jebby wrote:thx for the info guys.... isent it illegal to use 2 poles at once though?
You can have 100 rigged rods with you but only one in the water.
Well and truly hooked!
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

got some frogs 2day any tips on how best to fish um
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

None mono line i.e powerpro/fireline and fish slowly, the hardest part is waiting awhile after a bass grabs on before the backbreakin hookset, counting one mississippi two mississippi works. That 2 second delay will seem like forever :shock:
Well and truly hooked!
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

sloppy frogs

Post by Jigs »

pikeie wrote:jig head is right that is the the way i will mostly fish slop for largies. somtimes i also like to use a rat insted of a frog. most of the time tho when i get a blow up on a frog or rat i will pitch a senko to that vary spot where it hit and the fish will almost always take the senko. :D
You got the idea Pikeie. WTG.

Helps if the senko presentation can be delicate, as bassy might be spooked by the miss on the frog/rat. They are deadly.

Everyone probably knows this one but: I have had some luck by throwing a texas rigged worm onto the slop, letting it sit, then pulling it slowly to an open hole in the slop, pull it in and let it sink..........just wait a bit. Usually this works really well on days when the bite seems to be off. That line moves just a bit you put the shoulder to em. Sometimes a bluegill will whiz past your ear....... :lol: :lol:

:roll:
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Re: sloppy frogs

Post by Big-Ty »

Jigs wrote:Sometimes a bluegill will whiz past your ear.
LOL!! So true...

For me, nothing beats a frog on a weedless hook, and a couple split shots a foot and a half up. Throw it out, let it sit, watch your line. Trick is to let 'em take it... Wait until you can feel the weight of the fish, then give it a few more seconds. Like Iceman said, those two seconds will seem like forever.

Other than that, I'd have to say texas rigged worm is my fave. Never had any luck with buzzbaits.