Fishing Canonto Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Fishing Canonto Lake

Post by krisbass »

I was out today on Canonto lake with my father, and were planning to meet friends to look at some cottages. We didn't do much fishing, but while we waited for our friends to arrive, we casted a couple. Being our first time at the lake, we didn't know the spots, but as we were scouting, we found a nice shorline with a shallow, sandy bottom with logs and rocky areas that led into deeper weedy areas. This looked like a good spot. We trolled around in the shallow rocky area while casting into the deep weeds about 15 feet deep. After fishing for a little while, we were thinking of maybe continuing to scout out the lake. Just then, as I cast into the deep, I got a hit. Man, it was one hell of a fight! I was thinking maybe bass or possibly walleye seeing as it looked like a good walleye area. Pulled 'er in and it was nice smallie. About a good 3 pounder, a very meaty fish and a great fighter (since I usually catch largemouth bass).

I heard smallmouth bass fight harder than largemouth? I have no idea but it seemed to be true. Unfortunately we had forgotten the camera at the boat launch, but we took pics when we arrived there :). Soon after my father had a bite and we saw a good sized smallie following my father's minnow. We both teased it a little, but it dove back down into the weeds.

My father decided to use a smaller grub with his jig. He did so and his first cast he nailed a nice smallie (mine was bigger though :D). I'm thinking it was the same one we teased but anyway.

That's all we got for the day because we only fished for about an hour and we had to leave the lake to check some other cottages on different lakes. We had a couple others but got spat out. Hey, it's gonna happen to you atleast once everytime you go fishing! Was a fun day, the bass were worth it!