scum frog fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

scum frog fishing

Post by Jebby »

scum frog tips any1? just picked up a few and im new to topwater/heavy weeds any sugestions?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI JEBBY

scumm frog are great......donkey frog are great to...the spro one to...actualy all frogs are great,,,,,

jus trow them deep in the patchs and wait a bit( mabe 2 sec and start to retrive by guive it litle shot at the time...

by the way..................you will need a good rod for this ,whit good back bones.....and taught line to take all that weight off big bass :roll: :wink: and all that weed,,,,,,,,,,,,,i would not go under 50 pound line(ok mabe 30).........for this kind off fishing..........if you are fishing in heavy weeds..... :!:

can t wait for those scum frog reports......... :P

joco
Last edited by joco on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

scummy frogs

Post by Jigs »

hi Jebby:

When your'e fishing slop, once the bass takes the "frog" under, don't set the hook till you feel weight on the line. To do this it's necessary to keep the line a tad straight on the retrieve as opposed to lying slack on the water. Then, what Joco said........heavier line and stiff rod.

50 lbs??? Maybe. I never have broken 30lb. P.Pro. OK, 50lb. line.

Then you have to do it a few times, lose a bunch of fish, swear, then finally, the light will come on.

It'll be the game warden shining a flashlight on ya.........kidding.

I've fished surface and slop for years, and still lose lots of fish. Old age, poor timing. You name it. It's still a fun way to fish.

Jigs.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Frog fishing is fun. You can cast them anywhere and a bass can pick em up at anytime, but like Jigs said gotta wait till you feel them then set the hook.

Dan
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: scummy frogs

Post by slop »

Jigs wrote:hi Jebby:

When your'e fishing slop, once the bass takes the "frog" under, don't set the hook till you feel weight on the line. To do this it's necessary to keep the line a tad straight on the retrieve as opposed to lying slack on the water. Then, what Joco said........heavier line and stiff rod.

50 lbs??? Maybe. I never have broken 30lb. P.Pro. OK, 50lb. line.

Then you have to do it a few times, lose a bunch of fish, swear, then finally, the light will come on.

It'll be the game warden shining a flashlight on ya.........kidding.

I've fished surface and slop for years, and still lose lots of fish. Old age, poor timing. You name it. It's still a fun way to fish.

Jigs.

Thanks for sharing your "How To" Jigs :lol: :lol:

Whatever happened to throwing Rat's and Mice?
:P
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

fishin

Post by Jigs »

:shock: Since I joined PETA I have never harmed a rat or mouse..........honest 8)
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I use an 8'6 Compre and 30 lb Spiderwire Stealth. Never had it break off and caught a couple 4 lbers so far this season. The real test will be a 5+ but I imagine I will have no troubles with that either.

I like to cast it way back (the long rod really helps) near stumps/pads and simply reel it back in short twitches all the way back to the boat (or shore if that's where I'm bound).

Sometimes letting it sit over open patches in the "slop" for a few seconds produces some biggies.

Good luck, it's probably the most fun type of fishing there is!
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

good tips guys.... hopin to get out to get some this sunday..... around 730 8 ish till dark then off to the eyes cuz the bugs get to nuts in the slop
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

One thing to keep in mind is the angle of the hookset, more than once I have been hit in the head with a flying frog.

No seriouse damage (nothing to hurt :shock: )

This also applies to worm fishing; the bullet shape weight can be more than painfull.
Well and truly hooked!
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Big Bass Rich wrote:I use an 8'6 Compre and 30 lb Spiderwire Stealth.
WOW !!
That is over killer people use heavy lines like that to pool their boats out
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Paya wrote:
Big Bass Rich wrote:I use an 8'6 Compre and 30 lb Spiderwire Stealth.
WOW !!
That is over killer people use heavy lines like that to pool their boats out
And would you believe I still have trouble sometimes getting a big bass' head up. When you're dealing with stumps and heavy pads, and possibly money is on the line you need the insurance of getting the fish to the boat.
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

sure thing :)

I'll stick to my 8lb mono :) That is good enough even for salmon
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

8lb mono in the slop eh... Don't forget the 2lb flouro lead for those salmon! And ultra lite reel!
HogHunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HogHunter »

Don't be afarid to let the frog sit for long periods of time (30 seconds +). Sometimes the lazy guys take a while to muster the energy to grab it. Some of my nicer fish on frogs have hit after a long pause with my retreival.

And definently when fishing slop use heavy braid...I use 60lbs PowerPro and, like BBR said, I still have trouble hauling them out of the thick beds sometimes.
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

I had a hard time switching from my trusty 8lb mono but now i use 20lb power pro and haven't looked back. No more break off's at the hook set and it really is needed for dragging those big girls out of the slop.

On the hookset, i wait for the bait to disappear for an excited 2 count (a little faster than the standard 2 count) and then drive the hook home. if you wait to feel weight on the line you may miss fish that are swimming towards the boat. Just my 2 cents.

Keith