Bait Caster reels

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bait Caster reels

Post by Joey Rat »

I'm considering my first bait caster. I've done a little research and have been told that if I cheap out I'll be sorry. So I'm prepared to make a reasonable investment. (Basspro has a Shimano Citica C1200D/C1201D combo for between $139 - $169 depending on the rod. Around Ottawa the reel alone goes for $169 or more)

I am right handed and predomitately cast with my right hand so logic would say go with a left handed retrieve. However, as I talk to people some righties cast left and retrieve right, some cast right and retrieve right (changing hands) and some cast right and retrieve left.

I've always retrieved left with my spinning reels.

My question is this. Is it as simple as doing what feels comfortable?

Also just noticed I'm looking at US $ on the Bass Pro web site.

I'm still shopping so I would also welcome suggestions on other reels.
Last edited by Joey Rat on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
starrman
Participant
Participant

baitcasters

Post by starrman »

Hey Joey

I also retrieve with my left when using spinning gear, so when I went to the baitcaster I stayed with the left retrieve. I personally find it more comfortable than learning to use my right. When you're purchasing reels though, there are way more right retrieve than left so your choice may be limited.

Starrman
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

If u use left hand retireve on your spinning it is usually the same for bait casting. To know switch your spinning reel handle to the other side and try it. What you will look for is if you have better control of your rod with the right hand or the left. I bought a couple of reels 18 years ago and i bought them right handed retrieve cause I felt comfortable reeling with the right hand but I had no control of my rod without holding it with my left hand.

And to buy a baitcasting reel try some of our fish-hawk sponsors.

WB
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

If you can get one with a flipping switch, you won't regret it. :wink:
Well and truly hooked!
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I actualy have a left and a right retrieve. It didn't take me too long to get used to both and it's nice to give one arm a rest every once in a while.

If you can borrow a friends you should give them both a try and see what fits you best.
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

Hey Joey,

I'm the same as you. I cast right reel with the left hand when using a spinning reel. I just got my first baitcaster in april and I LOVE IT! It's opposite to what i'm used to and I don't mind at all. An hour of casting and you're all good. (I'm still finding "walking the dog" with a Spook hard but that's it.

I would definately suggest a Pfleuger baitcaster. I had tried many of my friend's reels before I bought and this thing is WAY BETTER. Even my friends agree, they want one now too.
ToadhunTer
Participant
Participant

Post by ToadhunTer »

Pfluegar is the way to go, I bought a left hand President a couple of years ago and have had no problems.
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

choices

Post by Bondo »

Hi Joey. I took the plunge 2 years ago and I love my baitcaster for flipping jigs and tubes or any other plastic for that matter. I too have always used a left handed spinning reel but I didnt do much research for my first baitcaster and ended up buying a right hand retrieve. After the first season with it, I switched to a left retrieve and I am way more comfortable with it. Both are BPS models but any other similarly priced competitor will keep you happy for many years. I agree with the other post who said you would be more happy with a flipping switch. I dont have one with the switch but I've tried my buddy's with one and it definately has its advantages.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Joey,

Don't waste your time and money trying to guess what you would prefer.
The best way to determine what is better for you is to go to see Ed @ Paddletales in Winchester.

He can determine with scientific certainty :shock: what you will prefer.

Joking aside, the best way would be to try a right and left hand retrieve. But first you have to know how to cast a Baitcaster reel (BCR). It takes a bit of practice to become comfortable with it. Some people adapt to it very quickly some not so quickly.

How can you determine which you would prefer if yuo are having trouble casting due to lack of experience?

This is where Ed comes in. He knows several ways to determine which retrieve would best suit you. It has nothing to do with what type of spinning reel set up you currently use. Ed willl also be able to show you how to use a BCR.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bait Caster reels

Post by Joey Rat »

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. All things being equal I would rather buy local so I'll maybe take a run to Winchester this weekend.

Just one more question, is a "flipping switch" basically a spool brake, help prevent overspin and bird nests?
Ben Daniels
Participant
Participant

Baitcast reels

Post by Ben Daniels »

I hadn't bought a new baitcaster in about 3 years years. but I just recently bought a shimano cruxis and BPS graphite rod. I love the shimano reel it was $120 and I really love it. Very smoothe and a lot less birdsnests than my 3 year old quantum baitcaster. i would recommend the Shimano cruxis.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bait Caster reels

Post by CNs »

Joey Rat wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. All things being equal I would rather buy local so I'll maybe take a run to Winchester this weekend.

Just one more question, is a "flipping switch" basically a spool brake, help prevent overspin and bird nests?
I've had flipping swiches on sevral reels and have never used them.

Most new BCR's do not have them any more.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

I had a flipping switch ona Quantum and when I figgered out what it was used for I loved it. THat being said, there is not a switch on any of my current reels.

How to describe it? Without a flipping switch, you press your button with your thumb and it stays down until you turn your handle and it pops up - the spool is engaged and it reels in your line.

With the flipping switch turned on, you press your button down with your thumb and your spool is able to roll, letting line out. As soon as you take your thumb off the button it pops back up - your spool stops turning and you can set the hook without having to turn the handle on your reel. I liked it but don't miss one anymore.

I know a young fella who recently returned a baitcaster to the store - the birds nests were more than he could take I think. If you are trying a baitcaster for the first time, you can save yourself a lot of grief by getting expert advice from a retailer on how it is used. There are few big store retailers that provide that kind of service. You may pay a little more for the product, but if you consider advice and service a part of the product, get to know the retailers that advertise on FHN - they are friendly and full of great advice and service.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Baitcaster reels

Post by Joey Rat »

Thanks again to all. My immediate needs have been met thanks to a buddy who gave me a Daiwa Procaster X (153IV ???) he had collecting dust in his garage :D . It appears to have the proverbial "flipping switch" and it works as Fishhawk described.

It's a right hand retrieve so I'll play with that and see how I like it. Heck I'll even practice left handed casting in the backyard pool. It looks to by a few years old and needs a bit of cleaning but he says it was a fairly expensive reel when he bought it.

Wish me luck. :wink:
Last edited by Joey Rat on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadhunTer
Participant
Participant

Post by ToadhunTer »

Whan it comes to handed reels,right is the norm,used mine for years before buying a lefty,once you get the hang of it there shouldn't be a problem.Casting righty you get used to switching the pole to to you're left hand before the lure hits the water.Backlash ,"professional over-run" happens to every person that uses one no matter how long you have been using it. Practice practice,practice.