Anyone near Port Hope?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
donohue75
Participant
Participant

Anyone near Port Hope?

Post by donohue75 »

Hey there

Just wondering if anyone here was from the Port Hope area as I hope to get to the area this fall when the Salmon are in, went to late last year and I want to get up this year but don't wanna drive all the way up there until the fish are in......any help would be apreciated.

Cheers
:?:
muskysean
Participant
Participant

Post by muskysean »

Hey Donohue,

We used to go up to the ganny every year. I haven't been there in the last couple of years but the salmon should be starting to run in the next week of two. They are usually in their full run by the first or second week of September but you can always find some way earlier than that if you fish out off the end of the pier. If we get a big rainfall in the next little while that will bring them in too.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D i will post if I hear of any coming in there.. They will be in full tilt soon.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Sounds like I should be headed thier for the first time next weekend with a friend whos fished it many times ...... I'll let everyone know what happens :wink:
donohue75
Participant
Participant

Post by donohue75 »

Thank you, I hope to get up either Sept 4th or Sept 18th as I can only get out on Mondays with work and family stuff. The 18th is my Bday, nothing better then catching a huge fish for ur Bday :D
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

donohue 75
If you are going early in the season, then most of the action is at night off the piers! Bring some glow in the dark lures and an old cheap camera flash :wink: Mini colored marshmellows work also at night. If your going later on in the season then roe bags and fly's are the ticket :) Don't wait too long the ganny closes sept 30 !
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

Hey Donohue,

Let me know when you are going and maybe we can go up together.
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

Port hope salmon depletion?

Post by bassfighter »

I have been in Port hope Ganny for the last 6 years, and it was last year that I went there only twice and got skunk for the first time. we saw 4 salmon caught among 50 anglers between 8-1:00am. It has been getting worse every year. We use to catch 50 (all release) per season. Though Lesser anglers these days, but even lesser salmon. Even the steelheads that comes afterwards had depleted probably due to less salmon egg for food.

There was a short run within the last couple of year and that was it. We totally miss it, though we see some were caught after the run. But not worth the time, some people were so unethical at the pier, even if you showed up early to reserve your spot, others will stand right beside you almost elbow to elbow pretending to chat and be friendly and start casting. If somebody else were there before you, they will swing their rod behind barely touching your face, just to indirectly tell you to get out. After two attempts and happens within the last two years, we have decided to give up. These incident never happened before, where everyone will be happy landing one salmon at least for the evening, irregardless of the time you showed up anywhere within the bay or pier,someone will leave, give up their spot and be contented for the evening, and there were many good time shift to fish before, from 5:00-9:00pm; 9:00-12:00pm; 12:00-4:00am; 5:00am- on. We would not have problem showing up in one of these shift and still do well.

I suggest to get a boat and fish outside the pier away from a cast reach of shore anglers , it will probably be fun and exciting and no one will bother anyone.

Anyone did well last year?
Tyttor
Participant
Participant

Post by Tyttor »

That sounds like a shame about the rude people. Is it possible to wade in the river away from the people on shore?
donohue75
Participant
Participant

Post by donohue75 »

Tyttor wrote:That sounds like a shame about the rude people. Is it possible to wade in the river away from the people on shore?
Depends where you go, at the mouth I do not think it is possible, IO have only gone twice to the ganny, once we waded from the Bridge near the 401 right before the sancuary starts to downtown as far as we could go before it got deeper
bassfighter
Participant
Participant

Ganny Salmon

Post by bassfighter »

Por Hope Salmon fishing can be one of the best shore fishing one can hope to experience, for the Salmon fights harder than any other type of fishing one can catch on a boat , and I miss the thrill within the last couple of years, the exciting experience are only stories to be remembered these days.

You can only wade inside the river anytime or after the railroad tracks before the season closes by november 30. But there are just too many anglers and the Salmon hardly hit your lure once it enters inside the river system.

On their way to the river from the mouth to the bay , the salmon will hit practically anything including foam or mashmellow or lures. Again, there are too many anglers and only limited Salmon left last time. Therefore, I pressumed the depletion of the Salmon run was all due to fishing pressure from the past.

I am not sure if every other year ,the quantity of fish coming into the bay and the spawning salmon population changes, but the amount of fish slaugthered just for their eggs is pathetic, I saw many fish eggs taken and the body just thrown back to rot. I called police 911 once, after seeing 3 hens slaugtered, and the person was ready to leave the bodies behind, but the police just gave me some excuse and said they can't do anything. I felt more angry at the police than the person who committed the immoral act. Anything more I do will results in a braul.

Fishing everywhere today gets tougher, more anglers gets even more desperate,and just takes every fish they caught irregardless of the size.

I felt the fishing depletion pressure more so these days. In my situation, I try to learn, work hard to acquire even more experience, so more quality fishing time can be attained, and release the fish to fight with them for another day. I caught couple of nice Walleye last week through 8 hours of hard work(tons of rock bass and mini walleye), one 3lb and the other 5 lb, it was exciting, we place them on our stringer , before we went home, and after seeing their facial expression for the last time, they seemed to be pleading for mercy. We felt sorry and my buddy and I have decided to let them go. I am not sure why we felt sorry for the smaller once that we usually caught and release do not have the same expression as these two guys.

I do take fish home for food on rare occasion, but within the past 3 years, I managed to find an excuse of being lazy to clean them for food, and got used to releasing most of them these days, and appreciate the sport more than ever. My 11 year old son started to fish more with me this year, and I hope he will have some fish left to appreciate for years to come as well.
donohue75
Participant
Participant

Post by donohue75 »

Keyz45 wrote:Hey Donohue,

Let me know when you are going and maybe we can go up together.
looking like sept 18th or 25th I will be in on days next week so i will let ya know
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I will be up there early September as my grandfather lives there now. Will report on my findings (if any)
porthopesteel
Participant
Participant

Post by porthopesteel »

I don't know about you guys but I had a great year on the ganny last year for salmon and trout but I also have the luxury of being right across the road from it. If you don't like shoulder to shoulder fishing a good place to try is the west wall of the yatch club especially after dark they seem to move into there pretty good. At the mouth of the yatch club there are alot of people but harderly anyone fishes farther up even though there are just as many fish.