Slow night, until i got a Muskie!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Slow night, until i got a Muskie!!!

Post by katch moore »

So it all started today after work. i got off work at 5 and my friend and i left to go for bass. We both thought that the wind would die down near 6ish but it didn't. it was pretty windy till about 7:30-8 o'clock. Our first spot provided us with 4 small mouth. and i mean small mouth. 3 on senko, and 1 on spinner bait (mine) . plastics weren't working for me tonight. after those four fish, we went off to another location that's pretty good for large mouth. and again i wasn't getting a bite, until bang! i set the hook too early, but i saw it. a pike. he's there, might as well try to get onto some pike action. after a little burning i got him. he was a skinny guy but he got me ready for what was next. after the pike, i tried again for largies, but they didn't seem interested in the senko i was "giving" them. even though my friend had caught 6 fish by then. so i picked up my confidence rod, which had my whitespinner bait on. i have alot of confidence in that bait, so i threw it out, and then bang! it felt like this fish just swallowed my bait and kept on swimming. i knew i had something big. so my friend pulled out his craddle from underneath his casting deck, and the we landed her. she mesured 41 inches long,
and weighed in at 18 Lb's. so i finaly joined the club, what a great feeling!!! so it turned out to be good night, actually a great night!!!
the fish was released with no harm done to it!

I'm also going to Red Horse Lake on the weekend, cottage right on the water, i know there's good bass and pike, but i'm looking for some lake trout. what depth should i be looking for ....?? well any help is much apreciated, and i hope you enjoyed the report

matt
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

Great job on the Musky matt!!!

The unexpected musky hits are the best. Gets the heart racing while you try to figure out what the hell you've gotten yourself into.

Good work!

keith
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

:D Nice Matt, nothing like the surprise amazing fish! Gives us fishermen that extra adrenaline boost. I'll bet you can't wait to get out again. :wink:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Congrats! :) ............where's the pics? Don't tell me ya didn't take a pic of your first 'lunge! :shock: 41" is pretty respectable!
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

thanks guys, yeah it was my last cast of the night, and we both left our camera's at home. well i did manage to get a couple pics of it with my cell phone, but quality is crap, and it's was dark outside, but all i have to do is close my eye's and think back at that night!!

matt
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Slow night, until i got a Muskie!!!

Post by Dartee »

WannaFish wrote: I'm also going to Red Horse Lake on the weekend, cottage right on the water, i know there's good bass and pike, but i'm looking for some lake trout. what depth should i be looking for ....?? well any help is much apreciated, and i hope you enjoyed the report

matt
Good job on the 1st skie

As for Red Horse I can't tell you specifically for that lake but on Charleston (just over the hill) I have been getting them relatively shallow for this time of year at about 30- 35ft down over 90+FOW.

Good luck
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Hey congrats buddy on your first musky :)
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

thanks dartee for the info, as for fishing this weekend, well i'll let you all know how i did.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Lake trout should be deep. Unless you are long lining lead core I think you would need down riggers to reach them. Should be a number of boats trolling the most popular areas.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I've been so busy I haven't responded to my usual amount of posts, but I was excited for you when I saw you landed your 1st muskie -- and a very nice sized one at that!

Congrat's Wannafish -- and KUDOS on a good release. :D

Too bad no pic, but I'm sure you won't forget the memory. :wink:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

thanks wolfe!!

i would really like to hook onto a laker, but i think i'll mostly be targeting bass this weekend. that's if "W" let's me go!

i went out tonight, for a couple hours with a friend. it was his first fishing trip on the ottawa. he's from labradour. well it was a slow night for him. as soon as i got to petrie island, i caught 2.5 pound walleye. and then later on i landed a pike and a small largie, in the slop. i only brought my plastic rod and my spinner bait rod. two lures. well my friend he got skunked!!! i couldn't beleive it. i think it has to do with his lack of confidence in his lures. all in all, i had a good night, now i'm going to try my new battery charger!!! gotta love new toys!!!
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

Wannafish,

Just to save me having to write a long winded explanation, here's my report from the 11.5 lb laker.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... highlight=

I gave all the info on how I caught that monster there, as well as the lure and stuff there, through various posts. If you have any questions, drop me a line.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Hey wannafish, no camera??? :shock:

you should know better than that!!! :lol:

No more excuses :wink:

Nice fish , congrats on the ski ,and a nice one too! :D

Matt