using gloves/towels to handle fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

using gloves/towels to handle fish

Post by YakAttack »

Newbie question :arrow: I've read about using a wet glove or towel to hold a fish while removing the hook if you can't get a good grip with your bare (wet) hand. Does the wet glove or wet towel remove the fish's slime layer? Seems to me like it would, and I wouldn't want to do that.

thanks
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

There are different gloves avail., some rubber and some chainlike ,some cloth.
From what I know a wet hand is usually Ok except for some trout.
Bigger fish that need a firmer grip ,I have used a rubber coated glove that worked well and offered some protection to the user.
Cloth gloves give you a better feel in the grip and as long as they are wet , it's Ok.
All of this depends, of course, on handeling time .Which should always be kept at a mininum.
And try to leave the fish in the water as lon as possible.

You will prob. get various opinions ,but these have worked well for me

Matt
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI.......s,f,t,s..... :P

there is some kind off fish,,that are better to catch whit a glove....for you and some for the fish.....

cats fishing........i dont put any glove,,but did get stong a few time and it those hurt,,so mabe a glove would be nice......right now..wit all the cats dying mabe doble glove,,,, :roll: :( .....

musky fishing.......glove is good......but its as to be wet to not get the slim off the fish,,,if it catch and realeas...and better for you if ever he take a little bite on your finger,,,,,,, :lol: .

i dont personaly fish whit glove........but there a personnel choice....

towel is good.but i think you would have to put it in water before gething any fish..........glove is better i would say then a towel......

but you will always need a towel close to you while you fish....to clean your hand........frome worms,,,fish slime etc....so you do need a towel....

joco
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I'm sure a wet towel/cloth removes some of the slime, as I've used one on pike that just can't seem to be subdued and can see plenty of residual slime after the fish is long gone. Probably not an optimum choice for handling a fish, but to me, it is the lesser of 2 evils when the consequence is a pike (or musky) smashing about in the bottom of your boat. I try to get a little better at handling these toothy guys with each catch, and I think I'm getting there. I don't go for the towel unless I think it's necessary, but I do always make sure it is soaked with cool lake water before I use it. Don't use it dry, ever.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

thank you all for the advice. I'll use a glove or towel (wet) as a last resort since it's not as friendly as a bare hand.

scott
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Post by krisbass »

joco,

You can get stung by catfish? :o I had no idea. I catch bullheads all the time at a local park. I usually wear a wet glove though.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I think this is an excellent question and I would like to add my 2 cents.

In my opinion the rubber gloves that have a stone like finish to them would be the best choice if you were to choose wearing a glove.

Now I would also like to recommend keeping the handling of the fish (re toothy critters) to a minimum and the best advice I can give to achieve this is to use the largest net you can get.

Here's why

1, Much easier to net the fish
2, The fish remains in the net and in the water
3, While the fish is in the net and in the water you can put down your rod and asses the situation
4, If you'll need pliers or bolt cutters or jaw spreaders you will now have the time required to do so without rushing the situation because the fish is in the net and still in the water
5, When the fish thrashes you just have to stand up and stay clear so that you don't get hurt or hooked because the fish is still in the net and still in the water
6, Once you have unhooked the fish you can go and get your camera, turn it on, show your buddy how to work it and not have to rush doing it because the fish is still in the net and still in the water
7, Pick up fish and pose for picture then release the fish, who was not gasping desperatly for air because it hasn't been threashing around in the bottom of your boat because all of this time it has been in the net and still in the water (total ellapsed time the fish is out of the water about 15 seconds)

Once you've tried this and you see how quickly and strongly the fish swims away you won't go back to bringing the fish into the boat to do all of the things listed above. But if you cannot do this then I still think the rubber gloves would be your best choice.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Good advice, Mr. J. Our net stinks, and a new (larger one) is definitely in order.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

Krisbass,
Oh yea, they have 3 stingers, one on the dorsal fin and one on each of the two pectoral fins...they stick them out when threatened and then thrash around trying to impail you....
And Joco wasn't lying when he said it hurts...