Crotch Lake Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Crotch Lake Report

Post by krisbass »

We were pretty much skunked. I couldn't believe how slow the bite was. We pulled in 1 little smallie, a sunfish and a couple perch. It was very disappointing. We tried many different spots, but we never made it to Fawn Lake. I don't know what the reason was, but the water level had dropped substantially since our last outing at crotch lake. At one point we found a deep whole that was around 40 - 50 feet deep. I had a topwater lure on so I was going to take it off and jig, until I saw a fish jump. It was a weird black coloured fish I didn't know what it was. So I cast right where it jumped and it bit my rapala. I had the fish on for a bit, and it was a good fighter. Then it jumped out of the water again and spit my lure out. I got another quick glimpse of it, but I'm still unsure of what it was. Anyway, aside from the lousy fishing at crotch lake, it's still a nice swimming lake.
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Post by krisbass »

Now that I think of it, that blackish fish that spat me out might have been a trout. I was fishing today at a small pond near my home and I managed 2 small trout. They almost looked the exact same as the fish that spat me out.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Judging by all the posts related to Crotch Lake, it is probably a good indicator, that it receives more than it's share of fishing pressure.
The fish are probably bombarded by an arsenal of lures, and in most likelyhood, in shut down mode most of the time.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

You couldnt be further from the truth. The big problem is people tend not to take the advice of others, and try their own thing. We have fished this lake for the past 6 years and yes the first time we went we were disappointed but we did our own thing. When we went back we started asking for advice from people and we started catching fish. This by far has been our most successful year at crotch lake. Not one day of being skunked. In fact we caught 86 fish which might not sound like alot for a week but for the method we chose, it was not bad. We chose to troll most of the time because we dont like jigging all that much. But we also tried slip bobbers for the first time and caught quite a few fish, mostly smallies. Most people who fish Crotch Lake and know how to fish it choose to jig the majority of the time and catch fish. I guess the point I am trying to make is educate yourself as much as you can about the areas you are going to fish and you will catch fish, we do and have been far more successfull this year than in the past.

P.S. We dont count pan fish so I guess the totals would have been well over 100. And now that my wedding is over we will have our report on our week at Crotch as soon as I recooperate and get the pics to Clown, so please just be patient a little while longer.
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Post by krisbass »

Well we were mostly jigging. We did cast in some shallow spots as well. We used everything from topwater, to deep divers to jigs to spinners and we even used real worms. We got a couple bites jigging real worms but really the bites would happen maybe twice a day. We did manage one smallie, not very big and a couple small perch and rock bass. We don't really count panfish either, so I would say we got skunked. But the funny thing is, we were fishing around long island and jigging with worms. Nothing. We talked to some folks who had camped on long island and they said the fishing was great. They had caught 5 pickerel. We asked em what they were using. They said jigs and worms.
ToadhunTer
Participant
Participant

Post by ToadhunTer »

You will find once you become more familar with the lake your luck will change.As did you I also had a poor catching experience my first year or so.After 12 years I've learned a lot and taken and also given lots of advice.My problem now is I can't be in 2 places at one time. Lower lake or do I fish Louie's end, decisions,decisions. :D