Catfish Bait

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Catfish Bait

Post by Panfisher »

I have a question about catfish bait.

I was down by Victoria Island last Monday with some stinky rotten chicken gizzards. I couldn't get livers.

I thought that would do the trick, having read about using stink baits and rotten chicken livers. I don't think I even got a nimble.

A fellow fisherman named Joseph lent me some shrimp. I put a couple of those on and the river came alive! I almost landed a good size one (my fault, bad knot) and had enough nimbles to keep me amused.

So are the Ottawa cats above stinky chicken guts? Are gizzards the wrong choice? Would chicken livers work?

I am going to go out this weekend. Hopefully there will be more action.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Was it beer-batter shrimp. I know that would get me to bite. :) :)
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Cats?

Without a doubt go to Loblaws and get yourself some 6 - 8 inch frozen sardines, let them thaw out over night then chop into bite size pieces and hold on.

I have tried most thnings suggested for cats and the frozen sardines have always out fished everything else sometimes 10:1
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi boatless

let me tell you cats at victoria last week,,,,,,,,was very very hook shy... 8) .the bit was extremely slow....dont no if the guy did good last night but hey..

any bait is good down there............some night,,the worm was the way to go,,,other night it was shrimps(big)...other night,,i got succes on maquerel parts..pther night people ad success on chiken liver(marinated)..some did have sucess on beef......even hot dog sausage are good....

cats are not picky.....if they are there and they want to bite..... :!:

mabe those bacteria affect there eathing habit,,,,,,,,, :?:

hope the guy did good last night there....

good luck in your cats hunting.......... :P

could become a new member off............

joco
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

I agree with joco, you never know what the hot bait will be at the island. Everything has worked at sometime or other down there. The bite picked up slightly from the last week. I caught one and lost two using beef strips. Wallyboss got 4 or 5 using worms, and our friend on the bicycle got a drum and a couple of cats using shrimp. The cats were biting slow and picked at your bait for a while before taking it. The ones we caught fought hard and there were no signs of bacteria on them. All looked and felt clean and healthy. All the cats were on the malller size though.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Panfisher »

Thanks, Guys.

I'll give the chicken guts a try again on Sunday. I'll also bring a couple of other options along.

The beer battered shrimp I'll keep for myself!! :D
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Here is a link for some catfish bait recipes:

http://www.lake-online.com/fishinhole/c ... cipes.html
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

Hey Pints,

Very interesting link....Every try making that "stinkiest stink" stuff.....Sounds disguesting....would probably work well if you didn't gag at the smell...
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Eddie43, I haven't tried any of them yet. Some are very interesting, others just disgusting. :)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I find nightcrawlers work very well at Victoria Island, most nights.

The biggest cats I caught there this year (~4-6lb) were all on dead minnows. I like to cut the head off the minnow to get its scent to disperse better in the water.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I like using cut bait,,creek chubs work well in chunks.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

Little cats , use chicken liver.

But if you want BIG cats, use dead minows, the bigger the better. 4" - 6" and you will attract big cats, 10+ pounders . time of day makes a huge difference as well. Best time is from about 7.00 p.m. until as late as you can go. Bring flashlights, lifejackets and have a blast.

Tony
The bigger, the better!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Just out of curiosity, how big do the Victoria Island cats get? I've heard rumours of 15lb+ fish being caught there every once in a while. Is it true?

p.s. the great thing about cut bait is that you have a decent chance of hooking a sturgeon!