Carp Bait

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Carp Bait

Post by Placide »

So I'm going out carp fishing tonight with Mr J and a few others, can some one tell me what the best bait is. I know everyone talk about canned corn but is they anything else that works that can be bought, I won't have time to make my own. Any suggustions.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Make dough by mixing corn flour, white flour and water. Boil the dough until it is thick enough to stay on your hook. I find dough works better than canned corn.

You can also use nightcrawlers.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

White bread. Remove the crusts and pat the bread into a doughball. Add some honey or jam for extra attraction.
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

I was out again today and got an 18.8 pounder.

Each time i've gone out this week I've been using more and more corn. The more I use the longer the school seems to stay around once they finally find your "corn field" We had a double header for a while today.

They're a hard fish to hook even once they grab your bait. I've had more success lately by pushing my corn past the hook onto the line. this lets the hook dangle free in the carp's mouth. If he feels tension and spits the corn, the hook trails behind and gets em. I started getting more fish on. It's a matter of landing the thing.

But... I missed 3 big fish one after the other using a day Tim Horton's Blueberry muffin. (ran out of corn)

Now I've got to figure out how to get some slow release tim horton's coffee down there.

Have fun,

FromTheNorth
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

My personal favourite is pickled baby corn wrapped in white bread (crusts removed).
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Hey Placide,
How did the carp fishing go. Was it at Black Rapids?
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Placide got a really nice 20+lb carp last night.

We saw a few of them swimming around but they just would not start eating.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

I've found that the biggest factor in carp fishing is you have to feed them regularly. I mix up some corn meal and water in a plastic bowl, cook in the micowave for a few mins, mixing and cooking untill the water is absorbed. A couple of baseball sized balls of corn meal thrown in the area you want to fish, the night before and a fresh can of niblets in the morning will make for much better fishing :) A few years back when I fished carp regularly it wasn't uncommon to catch 20-30 fish in one morning....as long as I fed them the night before :)