Daylrimple Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Daylrimple Lake

Post by Gravelguy4 »

My buddy and I decided to try a new lake yesterday morning so we headed up to Daylrimple lake. We've heard great things about big bass and plenty of pike in the lake. After launching the boat at a very narrow/shallow launch we headed south to the upper portion of the lake (i know that sounds backwards but that's what the map says). As a tip for anyone wanting to fish this lake, the channel to the upper lake is VERY shallow and we had to trim the motor right up and idle all the way in.

It was pretty windy and we weren't sure what to expect so we began working the outter edges of the weed beds. Scott caught a few small pike and bass. I was having little luck but was sticking with my trusty plastics. I was casting a texas rigged bait across the surface of the grassyweed patches when it kinda got hung up. I was able to slowly coax it up over a patch of grass and as it dropped on the water there was a mini-explosion and half of what looked like a giant came out of the water to inhale my bait. It was a small mouth and it put up the best bass fight i've ever had. I was using 20lb power pro and i truly couldn't move this fish. I was just hanging on for a bit there. When we got a glimpse of it in the water we were sure it was a giant. It turned out to be a nice 4lb small mouth and a beautiful fish to boot.
here's the photo.

That tail looks too big for that fish (atleast it does to me). that must be how he kicked my butt for so long.

The rest of the day was filled with lost pike and some huge boils but the bass seemed to start hitting short. I managed a 2lb large mouth and then the pike took over.

I would say this lake is worth a shot. We saw some big fish and had a tonne of pike hits. I think the weather had their timing (more likely it was our timing) off.

Thanks for reading
Keith
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Great report and a beauty bass!

The tail being that big means that in a few years that bass will be 6+!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice smallie man! :)
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

beautiful fish!!!
krisbass
Participant
Participant

Post by krisbass »

Awesome catch! The smallmouth definately fight harder than the largemouth. And imagine a 4 lber. Mustn't have been a quick fight!
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

krisbass wrote:Awesome catch! The smallmouth definately fight harder than the largemouth. And imagine a 4 lber. Mustn't have been a quick fight!
You're right. it took a while to get him in, even with a net. The fish went under the boat and my buddy said "just pull him up and i'll net him" but that fish wanted nothing to do with it. All i could say was (half yelling because of the excitement) "that's easier said than done!!".
It had to be the best fight i've gotten out of a fish in a long time.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Big Bass Rich wrote:Great report and a beauty bass!

The tail being that big means that in a few years that bass will be 6+!
That IS one beautiful bass, Gravelguy; the markings are really bold.

And Rich, I noticed its HUGE tail immediately too & thought the same thing! Reminds me of a dog that has yet to grow into its immense paws. You see these gargantuan feet and know that pup's gonna be a monster. :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.