A Day On The Ganaraska

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

A Day On The Ganaraska

Post by Keyz45 »

So today a friend from work and myself decided to head to Port Hope and try out luck. We arrived there around 6:15am. We got our gear ready and awaited the day light to come. The wait was taking forever as the sky was overcast. It was still dark when we jumped in the river and started fishing. After two drifts P's fly rod just starts shaking. 20 minutes later he lands the beauty.

What a way to start the morning.

We continue down the river head towards down town. We see lots of fish splashing around and running the rapids. We both hook into 2 or 3 each while walking but don't land any. Around 8:45 we hit a pool that P says holds fish. I drift my fly through 3 or 4 times then bam my line goes tight and the fight is on. In all it took me about 15 minutes to land my first salmon taken on a fly rod.

She was a beauty as well.

We continue our way down town with out any success. At around noon we called it a day.

Both fish were released.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Congrats on your first salmon on the fly rod :) I was also there sunday and got into a few fish, but I was alone and wasn't able to snap off a few pics... I got there around 2pm and stayed till dark. Fishing was a little slow at first but when it started to rain the fish went crazy! They were running the rapids in drovs.... I was fishing one pool and I hear this guy yelling FISH FISH Then I see a big hen triple hooked in the belly and floating belly up down the river with this guy in hot persuit.... As the guy went past me I told him that it was hooked in the belly, He looked at me and said mind your own buisness .... I thought to myself where's a warden when you need one.... I watched the guy give chase a good 100-150 metres were he landed the fish and started walking upstream with the fish in hand :roll: Then all of a sudden guess who showed up the warden and he had seen the whole thing 8) The guy started to mouth off to the warden....bad move....The warden decided to check his car and found a few more.... about an hour later I see to tow truck arrive to pick up the guy's car....
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Nice catch Keyz!
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Congrats on your first salmon on the fly rod :) I was also there sunday and got into a few fish, but I was alone and wasn't able to snap off a few pics... I got there around 2pm and stayed till dark. Fishing was a little slow at first but when it started to rain the fish went crazy! They were running the rapids in drovs.... I was fishing one pool and I hear this guy yelling FISH FISH Then I see a big hen triple hooked in the belly and floating belly up down the river with this guy in hot persuit.... As the guy went past me I told him that it was hooked in the belly, He looked at me and said mind your own buisness .... I thought to myself where's a warden when you need one.... I watched the guy give chase a good 100-150 metres were he landed the fish and started walking upstream with the fish in hand Then all of a sudden guess who showed up... The warden and he had seen the whole thing ! The guy started to mouth off to the warden....bad move....The warden decided to check his car and found a few more.... about an hour later I see to tow truck arrive to pick up the guy's car.... For the first time in many years I saw the wardens actually doing something :)
porthopesteel
Participant
Participant

Post by porthopesteel »

I've never seen so many wardens as I have this year around the ganny. Finally they are starting to realize what has been going for years. I stay away from the upper portions of the river and primarily fish the harbour even though it gets pretty hard to make a drift with all of the bottom clunkers. I really think that they need to close the ganny from the CN bridge to the 401 because the fish have no chance. I can't stand it when I see people wading the river just looking for a fish that they can line drift its not real fishing.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Congrats some beauty fish there!!

Jiggy, have heard about these snaggers :evil: I ts nice to see the warden in the right place at the right time :twisted: Be gone with the snaggers :wink:

Cheers,

Rich
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

Thanks WIG, Jiggy and Monster.

Snaggers on the Ganny have always been a problem. What needs to happen is more wardens in the area to catch the people that are doing it. You see people out there throwing trebbles hook and some fairly big one acrosse the river and when you are doing this you can't say you are not trying snag fish.

The same thing happens on almost any river that leads out of Lake Ontario. All we can do is our part and report these kinds of things and fish responseably.
MrJams
Participant
Participant

Post by MrJams »

Great looking fish, Keyz!

What flies were working? I'm thinking about hitting the Ganny or Wilmot on the way back from London this weekend...
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I think all they need to do is make a small change to the rules! The easyest way to get rid of the snaggers and meat havesters is to simply make the entire river catch and release only.... This way no one looses The town will still get much needed revenue from the SPORT anglers, the fish get a chance to spawn and most importantly the fishing will get muuuuch better.... The Ganny was once cosidered a blue ribbon trout stream and, I feel that it can be once again under better management!
Sorry to highjack your thread Keyz but ive been fishing this river now for at least ten years and the fishing just seems to get worse and worse every year.... It was refreashing to see some wardens out there making a differance :)
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

you can't make it catch and release only....cause that wouldn't stop the snaggers...

the ONLY way to stop the snaggers, is to CLOSE the river past the first bridge....

but i dont think that would happen....although every stream on lake ontario's north shore should have the stream CLOSED while the salmon spawn...

the trouters will still be able to fish once the salmon are all dead, and the snaggers wont be able to snag the salmon when they enter the rivers, as they enter first.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Good point steve but how many snaggers would show up if they knew they couldn't take home any fish??? The wardens job would be so much easier if ya got fish in your possesion your busted. Single hooks only
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Good point steve but how many snaggers would show up if they knew they couldn't take home any fish??? The wardens job would be so much easier if ya got fish in your possesion your busted. Single hooks only maybe even a fly's only section! Another thing I would like to see is a ban on live bait including roe!! I saw way to many dead fish slit open just for the roe :( and then discarded... Closing the river altogether would be best for the fish but what about the town itself that depends on the revenue from the fisherman....
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

it would only need to be closed for about 3 weeks --- just during the salmon's first two major runs....after that, opener back up....

most fish left will be late running salmon, or bows/browns....which are a lot tougher to snag...not to mention the real anglers who fish for them have a tendancy to do their own policing....which no one cares to do with the salmon.....

if the atlantic salmon are reintroduced like they say they are, they BETTER close the streams when they come into spawn, or there will be no point in hell of even trying to reintroduce them.
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

i think we should take paoachers and pull them away from there wives during there spawning session and fillet them
Keyz45
Participant
Participant

Post by Keyz45 »

I Agree wit Jiggy 100% on the live bait and roe. There were way too many fish with there bellies slit open and the roe removed. Not a good site at all. Quite a disgrace to tell the truth.

To many people have the though well the fish is going to die anyway. This may be true but cutting the fish open and removeing the roe is not going to help repopulate the species for the future.

The ones in the pics I posted where both released and legally caught in the mouth like it was meant to be.